Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 12:29 PM (59,170 Views)
floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
I think your best bet would be to just find an old, nice CRT. One of my friends (whose opinion I regard very, very highly - especially when it comes to tech stuff like this) spent literally dozens of hours (and who knows how much money) trying to find the perfect solution, and in the end, conceded that a nice CRT is really the absolute best in terms of picture quality and minimal input lag.

I have my N64 & SNES hooked up to my HDTV with S-video (to an S-video to HDMI upscaler). The image quality is okay... not the best, but def. very playable, so I can't complain.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
sinisterSS
Jan 17 2014, 08:10 PM
I tried my 24" Sony Playstation 3D Display(it does 2D also) again it wouldn't work
Sinister, what did you use to connect the N64 to the PS 3D display? It only has component and HDMI inputs, and happens to be the TV I've got my N64 & SNES hooked up to (and both work fine, though missing those forlorn CRT scanlines).
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

floorcat
Member Avatar
Errrm... N64 only came with composite cables, which aren't the same as component cables. The PS 3D Display has component inputs (five RCA inputs: red/green/blue video, and red/white for audio). The N64 composite cables will have only 3 RCA connectors (yellow video and red/white audio). Only the 2 audio connectors may be compatible... the video is definitely not compatible, which is likely why you're not able to get it to work on your TV. You would need some sort of composite/s-video to component/HDMI adapter to get it to work.

This is how mine is set up, but again, the picture quality isn't as good as a regular old CRT.

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply