Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 12:29 PM (61,432 Views)
danikei
Member Avatar
I use this cheap solution when I need to connect the n64 to an hdmi
Posted Image
It costs around 40$

The best option would be definitely getting a broadcast crt monitor (sony pvm), then a sony trinitron & then a bang & olufsen mx4000 or mx6000. I'd go for the b&o before the trinitron only because it has a nicer design & doesn't look that dated nowadays.
I'm still looking for a cheap pvm, though, & thinking in getting a b&o. Crts look so much better than upscaling to hd.

If anyone is interested in pics of the converter to hdmi "in use" just ask!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danikei
Member Avatar
Matt

Does the converter up-scale?

Yeah, it does let you change between a few resolutions, although for me the "best" - not really that good- way is to upscale it to something like 1024x768 and let the tv/monitor do the rest. N64's native 320x240/640x480? doesn't do that well.

YogurtStorm

I think it's more likely that a couple of guys are gonna come together, invent and patent such a product and sell it on an order-by-order basis to the collector market.

You could always buy a XRGB Mini - Framemeister , it does a good job (much better than my converter) and many people in retrogaming are getting them. Its a bit expensive though (200-300$ with shipping/customs)

danikei
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister

... if you are really serious about getting the best picture on HDTVs, then I'd consider getting a SLG-in-a-Box from ArcadeForge.
[...]
I own a mx6000! Nothing compares to the authentic feel of real CRT-TVs. :)

The slg-in-a-box seems a cheaper alternative to the framemeister, have you tried it? I read that the scaler is not as good, but I'd like to see impressions, specially on 3d content. From youtube videos scanlines on lcd screens always seem dull, or not bright enough.

Also, I'm deciding whether to buy or not an mx6000 for 100eur, would you say its worth it? Seller won't make it cheaper because the remote control itself is quite expensive.
In the meantime I'm also looking for a pvm or bvm, but they are quite expensive where I live :(

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply