Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 12:29 PM (61,381 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Hi Guys,

My 1st time posting here! Just found this amazing site yesterday.

I have an HDTV and wanted to know what gives me the best picture quality when I plug in my N64.

It know composite will look like crap.

Suggestions?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)

My HDTV doesn't have S video.

Only HDMI, Composite, Component, and the VGA.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
I used to have a Sony CRT tv back in the day. Beautiful set but heavy as hell and took up way to much room.

Wish I had room to keep it back in the day.

Older consoles look like garbage on HDTV's. Makes me a sad panda.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Mop_it_up
Mar 9 2014, 02:46 PM
Count me in with the plasma TV camp. Plasma is better than LCD in every way that counts, and it's crazy how much better it is at displaying SD content. They also have almost zero latency, there's still at least one frame since the NES lightgun won't work on it, but it isn't enough that I've ever felt it. Also, SD content scales better to 1080p than 720p, so N64 will look better on a 1080p TV than a 720p.

It's also worth trying to fiddle with the TV's settings to adjust the image, this can help it look better. I find that turning up the sharpness helps, and adjusting the contrast depending on the game can help reduce any "bleeding" that might happen with the colours. Changing the black level to "light" instead of "dark" also helps with some N64 games that use darker colours, making it difficult to see dark areas. The few games that support widescreen also look nice, and I like the extra viewing angle so it's worth it to play these games on my plasma over my CRT.

No matter how good plasmas are over LDC's I just can't get over glare. Glare pisses me off like no other. Even if it's just a tiny bit from a light or a crack in the window. Ugh forget it.

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply