Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 12:29 PM (63,139 Views)
Harbert
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 16 2014, 12:32 PM
Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)

Here in Europe all the cool kids use RGB-SCART on CRT:s. ;)

Anyways, if you are really serious about getting the best picture on HDTVs, then I'd consider getting a SLG-in-a-Box from ArcadeForge. Yes it's quite expensive, but does a wonderful job both upscaling and generating scanlines.

Here's a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ3lmE6UuY

danikei
Jan 18 2014, 02:21 PM
then a bang & olufsen mx4000 or mx6000. I'd go for the b&o before the trinitron only because it has a nicer design & doesn't look that dated nowadays.
I'm still looking for a cheap pvm, though, & thinking in getting a b&o. Crts look so much better than upscaling to hd.

I own a mx6000! Nothing compares to the authentic feel of real CRT-TVs. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Harbert
Member Avatar
danikei
Jan 20 2014, 04:54 AM
The slg-in-a-box seems a cheaper alternative to the framemeister, have you tried it? I read that the scaler is not as good, but I'd like to see impressions, specially on 3d content. From youtube videos scanlines on lcd screens always seem dull, or not bright enough.

Also, I'm deciding whether to buy or not an mx6000 for 100eur, would you say its worth it? Seller won't make it cheaper because the remote control itself is quite expensive.
In the meantime I'm also looking for a pvm or bvm, but they are quite expensive where I live :(

I've never tried a slg-in-a-box myself. You can toggle the scanlines on and off if you want to.

At 100, I'd have a hard time justifying that. I got my beovision with the remote for roughly 45, the chassis itself looks really good - but the picture quality isn't that much better compared to Sony Trinitron & Panasonic Quintrix tellies.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply