Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 TV differences
Topic Started: Jan 20 2014, 07:01 AM (1,421 Views)
kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I don't think the type of display will be a significant factor, as all of those technologies are fixed resolution devices. Meaning displaying anything other than the native resolution (whether it's Plasma or LCD) will result in distortion.

The determining factor I would think, have more to do with how that signal is encoded and upscaled inside the TV, which will probably have more to do with brand of TV and scaling methods used in the hardware rather than what type of flat panel display is used.

It's a discussion worth having though, which models do a better job of this than others? In my experience, I haven't seen any that look "good". But some are definitely better than others. My 46" Vizio LCD looks real crummy hooked to the N64, but it's also about 5 years old (I'll have to find the model number). I'd think newer TV's would scale better, but many new sets won't even accept the composite signal from an N64.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I'd be nice to compile some sort of list of sets that at least provide an acceptable display of legacy consoles. Of course what is acceptable is going to be pretty subjective.

I do agree that smaller screen sizes are likely to be more forgiving.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply