Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Use of display technology to produce the best possible image from the N64
Topic Started: Jan 27 2014, 05:43 PM (8,631 Views)
Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
If I end up not liking the heavy scanline look I was thinking of trying to hunt down the same model I used to play at my Nans house for my old 64.

It was a very small 14-20 inch Toshiba (I think) CRT. It had a button grid on the front that let you change the channel without the need to click though every other channel, it would display a red digit to let you know what channel you were on.

Any idea of what model this could be? As far as I know it could only do composite and mono (never really checked since I used a purple RF cable as a kid). It would be perfect for my old PAL 64 since I don't plan to mod it.
https://twitter.com/Mantis128
http://ask.fm/Mantis128
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
The Toshibas have a good reputation and made some very good tubes. These days, the hours on the TV often have a much greater impact on image quality than which model it is & the smaller TVs (20" & under) are a good prospect as there's a much greater chance they've been used only sparingly in a guest room - i.e. low hours.

Really low-use TVs won't come up that often, so I wouldn't rush it, wait for models to come up on eBay & other ad sites - & ask the sellers where/how they've been used. If they say it's been sitting in a guest room or other situation where it's hardly ever been used, snap it up! I'd expand the search to Sonys & other decent makes as well...
Edited by andyk2003, May 22 2016, 01:51 PM.
My CRT thread:

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
Last night I got my hands on a hardly used 20 inch Phillips TV. It's pretty much a smaller version of the dud TV I got earlier including component inputs. I hooked my PAL N64 and GC up via composite, It looks amazing.
It can't do 480P and probably can't do 576P either but it does standard def really well.
For some reason I can't get scanlines. Up close the picture looks as if it's behind a screen door or like it's made up of dots. This is fine since this is how my systems have always looked on a CRT but I'm curious as to how to get scan lines.
[IMG]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Another oddity is that Mario 64 comes up letter boxed for some reason.
Posted Image

Edit: I've learn't about vertical TV lines and how a low TV line count makes scanlines harder to see and that Mario 64's letterbox appearance is due to how it was ported to PAL systems.
Edited by Mantis128, Sep 16 2016, 12:16 AM.

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
I keep reading everywhere that in order to get a great N64 image without spending a lot of money, you have to buy a Sony Trinitron CRT.
Never had one. Thinking to buy one though.
I m playing on a 21'' LG Flatron CRT (model RE-21FB30MX) and i m pretty happy with the image.. although i don't really know what people think of that CRT..
Seems though that Trinitron are always better!
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
My Phillips TV only cost $50 AUD and it looks fantastic.

As AndyK said, it's mainly about finding an underused CRT.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
OMG, I'm so happy right now! :w00t: Today while scanning Craig's List I found an ad for a free flat tube CRT. I check the pictures closely and it's a smaller version of my current 20 inch Toshiba CRT which I'm beyond satisfied with. I just got home, tested and the TV actually works and the picture quality is great before I even tune it! Here's the model number and year of manufacture.

Toshiba 14AF46
January 2006

I'll post pictures of it soon but right now I'm dog-tired because I had to drive out 35 miles to pick it up.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Great find! Really late manufacture date - combined with the size means it probably hasn't been used that much & still has a nice sharp image. Toshiba are well known for their great quality shadow mask tubes. I bet the N64 looks very nice on that!
My CRT thread:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I shall call him Mini TV. :lol:

Posted Image

That's the one I just picked up today on the right. Isn't it cute?

Played a little bit of N64 on it after tuning and I must say I'm quite impressed. Since the 480 pixels are spread across just 14 inches the picture quality is very nice, almost like a computer monitor. Oh and tuning was a snap too because I mostly copied the settings from the 20 incher. Just had to make some slight modifications but nothing major. I still can't believe I got such a nice CRT absolutely free! :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Maybe it's just me, but those TVs STILL look futuristic! I remember drooling over the Toshibas and the Sony flat screens. I'd stand in the Sears electronics TV aisle and just stare at them while Mom was off shopping for shoes or whatnot.

I could only imagine playing GoldenEye on one of those back then. I knew I could never afford one, and that I would never get my parents on board with buying one. Now people are GIVING them away!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Last year I got a 13 inch Sony Wega FD Trinitron flat tube CRT free from another person on Craig's List. The guy had everything including the original remote, instruction manual and even the box it came in. I figured since it was a Trinitron (model # KV-13FS100) the picture quality would have to be good. However, after extensive tuning I came to realize that the TV's best days were behind it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a really sharp image out of it. Yeah, the average person probably wouldn't have noticed but I'm OCD about stuff like that so I decided to pass along the Wega to somebody else who would appreciate what it had left. Here's the picture I used for my own Craig's List ad when I sold it.

Posted Image

I got 35 bucks for it from a guy who intended to use it for Super Metroid speed runs. He didn't mind the lack of sharpness as all he was after was a TV with no input lag.

What blows my mind about that 13" Sony Wega and the 14" Toshiba that I just got is that both sets have S-Video and component inputs. It's as if the companies who made them knew eventually hardcore gamers would covet them.

So back to that Toshiba 14AF46, after minimal tuning I've concluded that the picture quality is utterly amazing. I'm gonna store it in my in-laws basement for safe keeping should my 20" Toshiba ever fail. I figure that as game companies keep offering HD compatible alternative for their libraries like Nintendo is doing with the Virtual Console and their Classic lines, I'll have less need for a big CRT TV and a little one like my 14" Toshiba will be enough to satisfy my future needs. :)

Posted Image

davyK
Member Avatar
Established Member
Haven't been here in a while but I have just purchased my 3rd N64 to go with my original PAL and J-NTSC consoles. It's another J-NTSC one - but it has been modded to play US-NTSC games (so what?) AND ...... outputs RGB SCART.

I have just finished trying out my JP cart collection on it with my official Gamecube SCART cable with my CRT and while I thought it would improve matters I am stunned. The image, particularly with later games, is gorgeous - FAR better than I thought I could ever get from an N64.

Wetrix, Yoshi's Story and Sin & Punishment are now quite simply, beautiful. Even the earlier games such as Waverace and MK64 are tidied up considerably. F-Zero X and Excitebike don't look too shabby either! Actually F-Zero looks lovely - better than the Wii VC version I play via component.

I got mine from an eBay seller called keepitretro (I thought I'd give him a plug as he lives locally - a rare thing from someone who lives in Northern Ireland). Great job.

If you have a CRT you really owe it to yourself to get yourself an RGB SCART modification. I am stunned - it feels like a new console. I'm using a 4:3 Panasonic TX25 CRT and I get a beautiful image with all of my retro consoles - and now the N64 has joined that crowd! I am delighted - and I may start moving the rest of my PAL collection over to NTSC now. Will see........
Edited by davyK, Sep 2 2017, 11:36 AM.

ninty82
what crt do you recommend for the n64 ?
SETUP:
RGB modded NTSC-J with NJM2267 amp
Panasonic TH-21EA1

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: