Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Use of display technology to produce the best possible image from the N64
Topic Started: Jan 27 2014, 05:43 PM (7,648 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm lucky to have a nice 20 inch CRT TV for my N64 and I'm optimizing the image by using an S-Video connection. However, I'm not completely opposed to emulation as that opens up many of the N64's masterpieces to people who might not have otherwise given the software a chance.

Lots of people are still playing Super Smash Bros. semi competitively on-line thanks to PC emulation, and of course many youngsters are still discovering the wonders of Ocarina of Time because of the Wii's Virtual Console service.

My feeling is that in the very near future people who still play N64 games will be doing so via some form of emulation as CRT TV's are no longer manufactured and their image quality is admittedly archaic and obsolete.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
From being left in my cold bonus room for so long, I think my 20 inch Toshiba flat-screen CRT is starting to hum when I use it to play video games. :( I noticed it recently when I connected my original Wii to it so I could see how Project M played interlaced and in the retro 4.3 aspect ratio. It's possible that the TV hummed a little all along and I'm only noticing it now because I've spent so much time on my freakishly quiet LCD TV, though. :eh:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
OMG, I'm so happy right now! :w00t: Today while scanning Craig's List I found an ad for a free flat tube CRT. I check the pictures closely and it's a smaller version of my current 20 inch Toshiba CRT which I'm beyond satisfied with. I just got home, tested and the TV actually works and the picture quality is great before I even tune it! Here's the model number and year of manufacture.

Toshiba 14AF46
January 2006

I'll post pictures of it soon but right now I'm dog-tired because I had to drive out 35 miles to pick it up.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I shall call him Mini TV. :lol:

Posted Image

That's the one I just picked up today on the right. Isn't it cute?

Played a little bit of N64 on it after tuning and I must say I'm quite impressed. Since the 480 pixels are spread across just 14 inches the picture quality is very nice, almost like a computer monitor. Oh and tuning was a snap too because I mostly copied the settings from the 20 incher. Just had to make some slight modifications but nothing major. I still can't believe I got such a nice CRT absolutely free! :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Last year I got a 13 inch Sony Wega FD Trinitron flat tube CRT free from another person on Craig's List. The guy had everything including the original remote, instruction manual and even the box it came in. I figured since it was a Trinitron (model # KV-13FS100) the picture quality would have to be good. However, after extensive tuning I came to realize that the TV's best days were behind it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a really sharp image out of it. Yeah, the average person probably wouldn't have noticed but I'm OCD about stuff like that so I decided to pass along the Wega to somebody else who would appreciate what it had left. Here's the picture I used for my own Craig's List ad when I sold it.

Posted Image

I got 35 bucks for it from a guy who intended to use it for Super Metroid speed runs. He didn't mind the lack of sharpness as all he was after was a TV with no input lag.

What blows my mind about that 13" Sony Wega and the 14" Toshiba that I just got is that both sets have S-Video and component inputs. It's as if the companies who made them knew eventually hardcore gamers would covet them.

So back to that Toshiba 14AF46, after minimal tuning I've concluded that the picture quality is utterly amazing. I'm gonna store it in my in-laws basement for safe keeping should my 20" Toshiba ever fail. I figure that as game companies keep offering HD compatible alternative for their libraries like Nintendo is doing with the Virtual Console and their Classic lines, I'll have less need for a big CRT TV and a little one like my 14" Toshiba will be enough to satisfy my future needs. :)

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply