Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Use of display technology to produce the best possible image from the N64
Topic Started: Jan 27 2014, 05:43 PM (8,601 Views)
Coligion
Member Avatar
Lots of solid information. The Nintendo 64 is a tricky system when trying to get good picture quality from it. As of right now, it's the only system I refuse to play on my Panasonic plasma. Instead, I leave it hooked up to my 27" Sony Trinitron CRT. It would have been so much easier had Nintendo left in RGB through the multiAV-out like the SNES, but they decided to make things difficult :angry: . Anyway, I have no problem playing my retro console on my plasma: SNES, Saturn,and Neo Geo all look great when using RGB cables. Thankfully, my TV accepts 240p over component, so one of those RGB to component transcoders works quite well. Personally, I don't see a huge difference going from s-video to RGB, but newer TVs no longer support s-video, so RGB to component it is.

Lately, I have been considering picking up a Framemeister. My biggest concern is the lag induced from the unit added onto my TV's. My component input is great on my set. There is no discernible lag. However, I have used other video transcoders to convert video signals and the delay they introduce is off-putting. Strangely enough, my VGA input is noticeably more laggy than my component input; typically, people recommend VGA over component because the signal should be less processed and create less delay. I really have not had a chance to game using my HDMI input, though: no current-gen consoles interest me.

Anyway, I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to input delay. Try playing Smash Brothers 64 on a CRT and then go to a laggy HDTV setup--not fun. The Framemeister is steep price to pay, but aside from an XRGB3, there really is no alternative for a fast video processor. I will one day take the plunge and try it, but at the moment, I rather enjoy having my Sony as the dedicated N64 TV :) .
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coligion
Member Avatar
I have actually spoken to Fudoh a lot. His site has a wealth of information on the topic, and he is extremely helpful. I own two devices that are covered on the site: the iScan Pro and the iScan HD+. They are both nice units, but the input delay created from them is very noticeable and bothersome to me. My next step was to try out a Framemeister, but as you already know, ~$400 is a tough price to take a gamble on, and I'm hesitant to think they'll process things noticeably faster than my iScan units.

My specific Panasonic model is not listed, but a similar model that shares the same panel has it listed at 32ms (great) rating. Composite and component feel fast and lag is not noticeable. I still find it odd how my VGA input is slower for some reason. I like to play Dreamcast with my VGA box, but I often find myself going back to the scart cable because of the slight delay added from VGA.

My Sony TV gives a very nice picture for the N64. The scanlines are very prominent I would say. I notice the picture is a bit softer on the corners of the set, but I'm not sure if that is normal or due to age.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply