Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Use of display technology to produce the best possible image from the N64
Topic Started: Jan 27 2014, 05:43 PM (7,646 Views)
kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Nice write up. I think you're pretty much right on base with getting the best looking picture out of original hardware.

In my case I've chosen to make some compromises, considering I never had the benefits of an RGB mod or anything like that back in the day. Infact, I have my NES hooked up with RF just because that's how I used to play it.

I definitely agree with hoarding a few of those old high quality CRTs though. I wish I had room to do so. There're as cheap as they'll ever be now, and in some cases free if you'll just haul 'em off. They're just so darn big! I have one nice Sony and a couple cheapo Magnavox's. There WILL be a day though when they're just plain gone and you can't find 'em anywhere.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
mjwatts26
Jan 27 2014, 09:18 PM
I intentionally bought the biggest CRT I could find (36" or 37" sony trinitron) and I regret it now. I don't think the picture looks very good for N64 even with s-video. But for all I know it was used a lot so it could very well be the result of heavy use. If you sit really far away it's okay, but I wish I had gone with a 30 inch or so.
I have a 32" Trinitron. I found the picture very acceptable in the center of mine, but noticeably blurrier at the corners. I don't know if that's because of it's age or a drawback of the flat tube. We never could afford one of these fancy TV's back in their prime, so I couldn't tell you what it looked like out of the box!
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Come on now Andy... a quest like this never really ends does it? Hehe.

I for one appreciate all your impressions.

One thing I've seriously thought about is investing in some TV repair equipment and tapping some knowledge from my engineer friends. Just enough to keep these CRTs in as good of shape as possible in the decades to come. At some point these displays will truly be antiques. And the people that know how to service them are already disappearing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I use RF on my NES to this day. It doesn't look too terrible on my Sony. I think the set has a lot to do with it and you want to make sure you don't coil the extra cable as then you've just created an RF antenna that can potentially soak up interference.
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I'm certainly interested. But on the list of "Things I want for $200" this is barely top 10.

If this were $50, it'd be something I'd try myself and if I screwed it up, oh well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I thought I heard in one of the videos that the lag is about 1-2 frames. So .03 to .07 seconds.
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Maybe it's just me, but those TVs STILL look futuristic! I remember drooling over the Toshibas and the Sony flat screens. I'd stand in the Sears electronics TV aisle and just stare at them while Mom was off shopping for shoes or whatnot.

I could only imagine playing GoldenEye on one of those back then. I knew I could never afford one, and that I would never get my parents on board with buying one. Now people are GIVING them away!
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply