Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lo-res or hi-res?; From a performance standpoint.
Topic Started: Feb 22 2014, 02:26 PM (1,517 Views)
Martin64
Member Avatar
Established Member
So you're playing one of those games that supports the Expansion Pak, and it's one of the ones that gives you a 'hi-res' option. Do you jack that resolution up and suffer a lower framerate, or do you leave hi-res alone and enjoy a smoother (but blockier) ride?

For me, it depends on what game I'm playing. If it's an FPS game or something where reaction times really matter, hi-res mode unfortunately has to get the boot. While I can normally tolerate a low framerate, I can't when my life depends on it and an enemy I'm trying to shoot is juddering horribly around the screen. Games like Turok 2 and Perfect Dark do impress me with their higher display modes and how hard they push the system, but I regard them as almost unplayable with these display modes.

However, with something like Shadow Man I'm much less bothered by the lower framerate brought on by hi-res mode. Make no mistake - Shadow Man does feature a lower, juddery framerate in hi-res mode, but it's an adventure game. I'm not required to dance around dodging bullets whilst making pinpoint headshots at 200 yards. I'm just slowly making my way through a world collecting things (basically). Yeah there's weapons and enemies, but the action isn't exactly fast and blistering.

So yeah, I'll use hi-res mode in something like Shadow Man or the like for the extra clarity it brings, and the way the art-design in the game is resolved on screen much better. Shadow Man is a moody game - I want to soak up as much of that atmosphere as possible, so hi-res mode definitely gets the nod here.

That's how my Expansion Pak gets used, anyway. For me in most shooters the hi-res mode is just like this debug mode left in the game, perhaps for getting nice captures for the press or other purposes. I certainly can't play those games in hi-res, or any game wherein the speed of the gameplay is very important. I actually play Perfect Dark in lo-res 4:3 with the heaviest letterboxing engaged, just to win back as many frames as possible!

What are your thoughts on this? What is your 'tolerance level' when it comes to low framerates? Are you that guy who plays Turok 2 in hi-res because you love how it looks, framerate be-:cussfit:ed? Or are you like me? Are you neither? I suspect the answer to this is going to be very different from person to person.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I'm pretty much like you, it depends on the game, but typically I won't use the hi-res since the resulting drop in framerate usually makes it look worse overall.

I don't think the widescreen modes in N64 games decrease the framerate because the system isn't actually displaying more pixels. It is an anamorphic widescreen, so it's still the same resolution, it just omits some pixels and squishes more into the view, creating the illusion of widescreen when the TV stretches it out to 16:9. It doesn't require any more processing power to do this.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I prefer low res and smoother FPS, whilst it nice to look at games with better RES the juddering is very annoying.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

swaaye
Established Member
If high rez runs fast enough to be enjoyable, I use it. It is more beneficial with huge modern TVs than back with little CRTs. Too bad N64 couldn't have had some more fillrate to push it better.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Stunt Racer 64's hi-res letterbox is something to behold. Really nice. Would look better on a 16:9 screen instead of my 4:3 CRTV, but still sweet regardless.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Martin64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Yea, I remember that some were just better than others at the higher resolution, as well. Usually it was understandable. For instance, Resident Evil 2 basically runs perfectly in hi-res, but then it would. It's barely doing anything. Then you get games like Perfect Dark and you just wonder why they even bothered including it. Just to show that they could? I'd say PD in hi-res only enters the realm of the playable 50% of the time. It's been a while, I may have to give it another go. I had been trying to get maximum frames via putting the game in 4:3 , lo-res and the heaviest letterboxing. Worked pretty well, though a little birdie (on these boards actually) told me that putting it in standard ratio or widescreen makes no difference to performance, due to the way anamorphic widescreen works? Not 'true' widescreen or some such.

I hate to pick on games like PD and Turok, because they're awesome. But just imagine how much better PD could be if only they concentrated on getting everything out of the Expansion Pak for and designing the whole game around lo-res. At worst, the developers wouldn't have had to set out system resources in such a way to accommodate a hi-res mode, thereby freeing up some resources for other stuff (like getting a few more frames!). Oh well. It's probably a much bigger problem through a modern-day lens. I don't remember caring half as much back in 2000. One thing is for sure - there wasn't an FPS game on N64 that didn't pretty much fall flat on it's face in hi-res. I remember thinking Episode One: Pod Racer was very good in high-res. Not quite as snappy as lo-res, but almost!

plushpile
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Feb 25 2014, 05:17 PM
Stunt Racer 64's hi-res letterbox is something to behold. Really nice. Would look better on a 16:9 screen instead of my 4:3 CRTV, but still sweet regardless.
On my widescreen it still leterboxes N64 games in high-res.
I might need to have a play round with some of the settings...

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply