Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Command and Conquer; March Game of the Month
Topic Started: Mar 2 2014, 09:15 PM (420 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
C & C narrowly won the vote off. Never tried it personally, but it always looked intriguing :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Martin64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I actually got this when it released! I was really excited about it, as I was when any really cool 'PlayStation game' made it to the N64. In retrospect, they were often pretty pants compared to the PlayStation versions, and if memory serves this was no different. I mean, you had the standard stills in place of FMVs, apparent fear of how to approach sound design on N64, etc.

Then there was the fact that even on PlayStation it was kind of stunted. Not sure if it used that PlayStation Mouse accessory that nobody had, but C&C is always best on PC simply because of the controls. I know you can say that about a lot of games, but in C&C the mouse is necessary of how the game works. I know FPSs are more precise with mouse and keyboard etc, but they found decent ways of mitigating these problems on control pads (mainly through auto-aim and simply the way the games are designed).

There's no equivalent to auto-aim for something like C&C, and there's simply no getting around the fact that in a messy swarm of units (player and/or enemy), there's no decent way of selecting the units/targets you want efficiently. Mouse does this perfectly, and is ultimately essential to the game in my opinion. If I were to recommend you a fifth-generation console version of C&C, it would be the PlayStation one. But I would not recommend any console version for this game.
Edited by Martin64, Mar 2 2014, 10:22 PM.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
This is a great game, and doesn't nearly get the love it deserves. You should def put it on your to play list Stinger. Grew up playing a lot of this game on the :n64: These days I am absolutely terrible at it but used to play it for days when I was a teenager. :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Not my cup of tea.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I loved C&C back in the day, it is better on the PC but works ok on consoles with the Analogue stick. Red alert was always my favorite of the bunch but the first one was the first RTS game I ever played.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
RTS games really aren't my thing. Still, congratulations to Command & Conquer for winning being voted March's Game of the Month.
Posted Image

Z890
Established Member
In defence of the N64 version :)

Using the N64 mouse that was designed for the 64DD you should be able to play using a style similar to PCs, but would need modding as need to adapt for use with another controller for the other buttons. Have not got round to testing this though. But its programmed well to control cursor with the analogue.

It does have something unique that sets it apart from the PC and PlayStation versions...that is it has 3-D landscapes (only version of this first command and conquer game to change the graphics i think). which looks more realistic and determines where you can lay bases, and you can see tanks etc negotiate the rolling hills...No FMV, but that doesn't affect the gameplay and the speech is still there during the game and before each mission. In place of the FMV they did add some unique menu animations that fit well.

No two player aspect but it wouldn't have worked properly anyway as you would be able to see the other players actions.

StarCraft is the only other game of that genre on N64 and that's quite expensive and wasn't even available in most pal regions. Its set in a more realistic war setting than StarCraft too so is more appealing to me IMO.

The 1995 PC game that this was a port of was the first well established game of it's type , adding to the concepts from the game dune 2. When games were innovative with simple and fun gameplay mechanics that worked well. :)

Edit- dont run in high resolution if you have expansion pack. Medium looks just as detailed (some edge pixelation)... Looking on reviews it says about frame rate in high resolution mode. Just tested it and yes it seems jumpy in high resolution but worse than that it seems to run about one third slower. The animation, the unit building, the mouse movement etc etc so definitely need in medium mode for it to run at a normal rate. Im guessing that the expansion pack (if left in medium resolution) helps it to run at a normal rate. If so it would be a good use of the pack.
Edited by Z890, Mar 3 2014, 04:49 PM.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I'd really like to try this game. I think I'll see if I have an allowance this week. X_D
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Kamikaze
I really love this game. Jumped in right around RA/RA2 for the PC, and played it all the way up the last Generals Expansion.

Gameplay wise, all ganes (except Renegate) are about the same, and if you're into RTS this is something to try for sure.

As for the N64 version. The controllers take a little time to master if you are used to the PC gamrplay, but it isn't bad at all. I just love the fact this game is there for the N64.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
right off to ebay to pick up a copy :yeah:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

action
i remember reading back in the day that it didnt have the free play mode (skyrmish) and it was a major let down or something.

never played the N64 version btw.

the only RTS i own is red alert 3 on PS3. i find those games have a very steep learning curve. once the opposition gets stronger, i'm toast. :P

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I loved a good skirmish on the Ps1 and later on my PSP on long train/plane journeys. I would still love it now but then EA are being EA, why can I not play this on my Vita? I got the n64 one as a kid and loved it. Still the lack of FMV killed the story a bit on the N64. I play it on the 64 still today also and it holds up well, plus the 3D graphics are pretty cool. I never had a real issue with the high res mode though. Still i did hate the small random loading times between missions
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply