Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
I'm in mourning...; PS3 has possibly died
Topic Started: Mar 11 2014, 07:09 AM (1,011 Views)
The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm sad today as it seems my PS3 has died, or at least suffered some sort of failure that is keeping me from using it. I was watching YouTube on it last night and it suddenly went to a pink/purple screen, then black, back to the colors and then black again. I thought perhaps the video had glitched for the video I was watching but upon grabbing the controller and trying to quit out nothing happened. I had to manually shut off the console and I was never able to get anything to appear on screen after that. No signal detected is what the TV notifies me of. Whether I use a different HDMI cable, HDMI input or even the original PS3 AV cable, I get nothing. I can still eject and insert a game and the console still appears to be reading the disc so I'm guessing it has something to do with the output from the PS3. Question is...what can I do? Is this something worth getting repaired or should I just suck it up and figure out how I'm going to afford a new console? This hits at a horrible time as the spending money from my tax return is pretty much gone. I rely so much on that one particular console. Argh! X_D
Edited by The Red Shadow, Mar 11 2014, 07:10 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Don't know what to say other than you have my condolences.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Oh Red... ;_; ;_; ;_;
This saddens me immensely ;_;
Between Mk, Matt, and now you, there's been a bit too many machines puttering out recently around here... :-/ Let's hope it can be repaired!!
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
I actually managed to resurrect my PS3

What I did was take a vacuum and use it on vents to get dust out and just generally clean the inside, since (I assume) mine was overheating and it seems to be working nowadays, although i haven't really spent a extended amount of time playing it.

Try hold down the power button for two beeps, that should reset the video output, even if the HDMI port is dead, hopefully that should get you able to use the AV port for the time being until you can afford a replacement/repair
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Do I hold the power button down from off or while it is on? I'll give this a shot tonight after work and if it works it will definitely help me out a lot. Thanks, Matt, and everyone else for your kind and thoughtful words in my time of grief. ;_; :)

floorcat
Member Avatar
Do this when the PS3 is off - you'll hear the regular beep when it turns on, but as you keep holding it, you'll hear the double beep, and it'll boot into the system menu. If it is the HDMI port that's gone, you might want to connect the PS3 via the standard component cable (or composite cable? whatever cable it came with originally...) before doing this system boot.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Martin64
Member Avatar
Established Member
I got rid of my PS3 recently, but it was a 120GB Slim model (the first slim). Walked into Argos on launch day and bought it. Anyway, had it for over four years, and it saw a lot of use! It would get temperamental from time to time, crashing etc. Long story short - whenever it started to get very grumpy and refuse to do things properly, I'd take the console apart, vacuum the inside of it, then it'd be fine for another year.

Try that before anything else. Honestly, sometimes I'd take the top half of the shell casing to reveal a thick glob of dust molded into the shape of the casing lol! It looked like a PS3 made of dust! Unfortunately, it's just how these modern consoles are. Nowhere near enough space to breathe for longevity's sake, style very much gets put before practicality. If your PS3 is your 'main entertainment box' like mine was, and you've never opened it up to clean it - now's the time. It may be too late for you, as all that clogged up dust may have caused a gradual over-heating problem, resulting in one or more of the connections inside warping/breaking.

God-speed.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
That's a bummer mate. Hopefully you can fix the problem. I'm sure you only took it out of the box less than a year ago. Pretty crappy if it's died already.

PS4 on the horizon maybe :unsure: :P
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Martin64
Mar 11 2014, 01:49 PM
I got rid of my PS3 recently, but it was a 120GB Slim model (the first slim). Walked into Argos on launch day and bought it. Anyway, had it for over four years, and it saw a lot of use! It would get temperamental from time to time, crashing etc. Long story short - whenever it started to get very grumpy and refuse to do things properly, I'd take the console apart, vacuum the inside of it, then it'd be fine for another year.

Try that before anything else. Honestly, sometimes I'd take the top half of the shell casing to reveal a thick glob of dust molded into the shape of the casing lol! It looked like a PS3 made of dust! Unfortunately, it's just how these modern consoles are. Nowhere near enough space to breathe for longevity's sake, style very much gets put before practicality. If your PS3 is your 'main entertainment box' like mine was, and you've never opened it up to clean it - now's the time. It may be too late for you, as all that clogged up dust may have caused a gradual over-heating problem, resulting in one or more of the connections inside warping/breaking.

God-speed.
This is a pretty good suggestion too, although i think this is more a gpu or port error rather than a over heating issue, still, I never even took my fat PS3 apart, just aimed the vacuum at the ventilation holes and it really did reduce how loud it is, and I played MGS for close to 3 hours together without it shutting off
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
clean it. best option for now. it probably overheated due to dust. holding the power button for 2 beeps reset the output video selection mode. ie if someone before you used it via hdmi but you are using it via component, then it wont work when you plug it. you have to do that in order to see anything on screen. it's also written in the user's manual.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm the only person who has ever used the console (for just about the year that Dee mentioned) and I've always only used HDMI. I have the AV cable hooked up for use with the 360 headset my friend gave me. Its necessary for its use. I will give the two beep thing a try tonight. As for cleaning the console, is it easy to open the shell up? I'm not normally good with that stuff unless its really simple. I might just take the vacuum to the ventilation openings if that won't cause static issues. Eh, I just hope I can get something going on it. Thanks for the suggestions, friends.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Let us know how the double-bleep thing goes. The PS3 has some terrible design decisions, such as no auto display setting when switching between output types.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Martin64
Member Avatar
Established Member
The Red Shadow
Mar 11 2014, 07:30 PM
As for cleaning the console, is it easy to open the shell up? I'm not normally good with that stuff unless its really simple. I might just take the vacuum to the ventilation openings if that won't cause static issues.
If it is because of dust, then simply vacuuming the vents should help. Not as much as opening it up and giving it a deep clean, but it should still help. As for how easy it is to open up - speaking only for the original PS3 Slim - it's not too bad. There's plenty of screws, bits and bobs to keep track of. Depends how far you want to strip it down. I used to basically just get the top off, and get the main heat shield/whatever it is off, then do my deep clean from there.

You can strip it down further if you want, but going beyond that point means taking apart the Blu-ray drive etc and getting down to the main PCB. Couldn't be bothered with that, personally. I think I went far enough. So long as you can get all the crap out of the cavities and most-importantly liberate that huge CPU fan of any dust/debris it may be clogged with, that's all you really need.

I don't know, but I can only assume that stripping down a PS3 fatty would be more complicated than mine, and a Super Slim would be less complicated. Kind of stands to reason that it would be that way. On my one, you started by undoing the screws on the underside of the machine, then when they're out you can get the top off and go from there.

In addition to relieving your PS3 of heat-related issues, you also tend to get a reduction in the amount of noise your PS3 makes. The first time I did it, it was simply to make the console quieter. I'd had it nearly two years at this point, and on some games you could really hear the CPU fan spinning up and getting ridiculously-loud. After the first strip-down and clean, it sounded pretty much as quiet as when I first got it.

Your mileage may vary depending on 1) your model of PS3, and 2) if dust actually is your problem. I'm guessing it isn't, and if it was - you're past the point of no return. Sounds to me like something on your PCB after rendering, but before actual output, has come away from the board. I say this because you say your games and stuff 'work', you just can't see it? This could be due to heat (in turn worsened/caused by dust buildup), or maybe someone in your house handled your console with too much force. Maybe they twisted it and the housing for the HDMI output twisted, pulling something away from the board inside?

I don't know. My PS3 Slim was pretty rugged. Sure I stripped it own and cleaned it a few ties in four years, but other than that it was an absolute trooper. Took it all kinds of places! In the end it was scratched beyond recognition and only had one foot left - but it still worked. Maybe you have a PS3 Super Slim, and your problem is that they're made very cheaply. I really don't like the Super Slims, lol.

Cabanon
Elite
you could give the job of stripping down a ps3 to a 6 years old kid and he could do it.

1 screw hold the hdd (really important to do first)
1 screw hold the top part with logo
8 screws hold the shell's top part
3 screws for the PSU + 1 cable
2 screws for the BD drive + 1 cable underneath
8 screws that hold the PCB to the bottom shell

and voila. you removed everything. clean it and put it back together. take less than 10 mins to remove it all, 10 mins to clean it, 10 min to put it back together.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Yeah, I might surprise you in how many 6 year old capable tasks I'm NOT capable of.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to reset the video settings by holding the power button down and I'm now able to see it via AV. I'll try to switch it back to HDMI in a moment. Otherwise, I'll be able to use it with horrible video quality. Better than nothing, though.

Matt
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
Mar 13 2014, 07:03 AM
Yeah, I might surprise you in how many 6 year old capable tasks I'm NOT capable of.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to reset the video settings by holding the power button down and I'm now able to see it via AV. I'll try to switch it back to HDMI in a moment. Otherwise, I'll be able to use it with horrible video quality. Better than nothing, though.
If worst comes to worst, you can always grab some component cables at Monoprice or something if your TV supports it, it won't be 1080p but you should get 720p if your TV supports it
Posted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Yeah, I tripped on my HDMI cable and pulled out the female port from the console itself. Thankfully, I can still go high def using Component!
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

floorcat
Member Avatar
I'll also add, that the PS3 A/V port uses the same cable as that for the PS2 so... if you have a PS2 component cable lying around, you can just use that!!

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Ah, so many dilemmas! I have two component inputs on the TV but they are being taken up by the PS2 and the Wii. Am I wasting a component for the Wii? Or the PS2? I've seen the PS2 on this television through AV and it was awful. :huh:

floorcat
Member Avatar
If that's the case, then the solution should be even easier (assuming your cables are relatively accessible, and you don't mind switching around cables depending on which Sony console you're using)... just unplug your PS2, and plug it into your PS3.

kali16
Member Avatar
Maybe You can buy a component switch, never try them myself

floorcat
Member Avatar
^another good option... I use one myself, to switch between my original Xbox, Wii, and PS2.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I am using the component cable from the PS2 with my PS3 and it is a considerable upgrade from AV but not quite as good as HDMI. I'm not complaining, though. I'm glad to have access to the console again for games and YouTube purposes. :yeah:

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Thankfully you got out of that fairly easily, without it hurting the wallet :yeah:

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
even if it's all sported out, I highly suggest you put some spare cash aside for when it's gonna fail. when things like that happens, pretty sure it's gonna die one day or another, sadly.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Glad you were able to use it again. I felt your pain. My issue was the ylod on my fat. I had fixed it four times. It only gave me 4-6 weeks a time. On the fifth time, I used my tax return to get a 320 gig ps3 slim.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
What really pains me is that I'd love to get my console fixed but the only place in my town that did console repairs shut down at the end of January due to a lack of demand for repair services. If only they had waited...

But whatever, I'm good for now and I'll hopefully be able to replace my console this year sometime.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I'm sure the guys that used to run it would still maybe live in the area. Maybe put and add out looking for someone who can fix it. You might be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
dont bother repairing it. it'll cost 50-75-100$ and that's half what a new one can be worth. if yuo want a cheap system, wait 3 months after the release of any NHL games that are generally bundle with a system, like the NHL13 blue azurite 250gb system, they were sold 199$ in November, only 3 months after it's release because they were clearing it like any NHL games. worth every penny.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I've never seen an NHL bundle in my life. They must not bring them out around my area since I'm basically on the border of mid west and deep south. I'll keep a look out online for them, though.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: