Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Cult of Mario Kart; Super MK thru MK8
Topic Started: Jan 16 2013, 01:51 PM (6,361 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm currently slowly working my way through Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and I'll post up a proper review when I'm further along. My initial impression is that MKAGP1 plays great although it does take a little getting used to since the items are so different from other MK titles. Also, the track design feels more Ridge Racer than it does traditional Mario Kart but I guess that's to be expected since Namco had a hand in development. The thing that caught my attention immediately, though, is that you get a brief protective shield if you pull off a mini turbo around a corner. Too bad there isn't some way to activate that on the straights because that's were my opponents usually pepper me with items. ^_^
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So do you have the big arcade cabinet in your garage then?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Sep 28 2017, 11:27 AM
So do you have the big arcade cabinet in your garage then?
No, I'm playing it on a Homebrewed Wii via Nintendont. That gives me access to both Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 & 2 as well as F-Zero AX since they all run on Triforce arcade hardware. In case you didn't know, the Triforce arcade board is very similar to the GameCube spec wise so the Wii can easily emulate it.

The only Mario Kart games I don't own now are Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. That's because I don't own either a 3DS, 2DS or Switch and because Mario Kart Arcade GP DX doesn't run on Triforce hardware.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
This guy probably does a better overview of Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 than I can do.

Mario Kart Arcade GP - Nathaniel Bandy

I'm now at the Pac-Man Cup (Master Difficulty) and the game is starting to get challenging. I love it! :wub:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I began my emulated Mario Kart Arcade GP journey with the first game knowing that if I started with the second, I'd probably never have the inclination to play MKAGP1 in the future. My desire was to savor the experience given that I'm such a hardcore Mario Kart enthusiast so I took my time and worked my way through it slowly.

Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 is lots of fun and impressive graphically. It looks just about as good as the GameCube version Mario Kart: Double Dash!! although MKAGP1's gameplay is ultimately more shallow. Granted, there's progression by being able to unlock a large selection of items, but not every race allows you to choose which items you'll have access to. That privilege is often reserved for the last race in a cup until you get to the more challenging Reverse Cup races. Usually the game decides for you before the race what three items you'll be awarded when you run through the item blocks.

There's a Time Trial mode in MKAGP1 but I'm not exactly sure why since it surely would have cost arcade goers money with very little tangible return.

As for skill elements, Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 grants a shield if you jump while drifting in the curves. This is necessary to master for the harder races because every item that doesn't hit you gives you greater opportunities to finish in 1st. With a little practice you'll be able to maintain the drift longer which provides more protection for as soon as you come out of the drift the shield is gone.

I may share more impressions later but for now I'm eager to start playing Mario Kart Arcade GP 2. :D
Edited by Grizzmeister, Oct 9 2017, 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Finally got to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since my local Walmart has it on their Switch kiosk. To my eyes it looks noticeably better than the Wii U version to the point that I want a Switch now. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Japan gets all the cool stuff first. :(

Mario Kart VR

I like the way you have to pluck your items off the floating balloons!
Edited by Grizzmeister, Oct 27 2017, 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Grizzmeister
Oct 27 2017, 08:37 AM

Mario Kart VR

I like the way you have to pluck your items off the floating ballons!
I am a VR-a-phobe, but THAT IS AWESOME!! And you really throw green shells!

I also enjoyed your thoughts about Mario Kart GP . . . I'm routing for a port collection to the Switch. Namco & Nintendo, make it happen!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Oct 27 2017, 09:41 AM
Grizzmeister
Oct 27 2017, 08:37 AM

Mario Kart VR

I like the way you have to pluck your items off the floating ballons!
I am a VR-a-phobe, but THAT IS AWESOME!! And you really throw green shells!

I also enjoyed your thoughts about Mario Kart GP . . . I'm routing for a port collection to the Switch. Namco & Nintendo, make it happen!
Most VR software I've seen so far hasn't really impressed me much but Mario Kart VR is the exception. I love the way the Piranha plants look so menacing and the hang-glider time is more immersive than ever.

Mario Kart Arcade GP DX on the Switch would make sense to hold fans over until Mario Kart 9 is released. It's gotta include multiplayer, though, because the games get boring quickly without it.

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Grizzmeister
Oct 27 2017, 10:03 AM
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX on the Switch would make sense to hold fans over until Mario Kart 9 is released. It's gotta include multiplayer, though, because the games get boring quickly without it.
Very necessary! That should be an easy fix, because the in-arcade game allow for multi-player across a bank of linked arcade cabinets.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
These are the people who put Super Circuit on the Wii U without updating a thing though :p

Too cynical?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Cabanon
Elite
Grizzmeister
Oct 27 2017, 10:03 AM
Most VR software I've seen so far hasn't really impressed me much
I've hear very good things about Resident Evil VR.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Oct 27 2017, 10:29 AM
These are the people who put Super Circuit on the Wii U without updating a thing though :p

Too cynical?
Yeah that's cynical but also honest. :yeah:

I'm kinda bummed out that Nintendo released Mario Kart DS on the Wii U Virtual Console but didn't restore the online play support. That would have been the perfect opportunity to create the definitive iteration of the game if they also removed snaking. ;)

So with respect to the Mario Kart Arcade GP games, if you plan to play the Triforce versions I suggest skipping right to MKAGP 2 as it does everything better than the original. It's still not as complete a game as Mario Kart Wii which came out just a short year later but it's still fun playing through and testing all the character specific items.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Some Switch owners may not be aware of this.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe LAN Party!

Neat option if you and a bunch of your friends already own the system.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo is bringing Mario Kart to smartphones :o

Quote:

Nintendo has announced the latest of its IPs to make the leap to smartphones, and it's a big one: Mario Kart. An app called Mario Kart Tour is set to be released in the next financial year, meaning anywhere between April 2018 and March 2019.

No details about Mario Kart Tour have been made available other than its existence, but the Mario Kart franchise is one of Nintendo's biggest.

I'm hoping that Nintendo also has another Mario Kart offering in the works for the Switch.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: