Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Post your N64 Gaming Setup; post the area that you play the N64 in,post a pic
Topic Started: Apr 28 2014, 06:59 PM (4,555 Views)
NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
Anyone updated their setup in the last year and a half? Mine I am going to be trying to fully get it cleaned out. It will look awesome once I do for sure, hope I can turn it into my Man cave Gaming Garage :capice:
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Durnaxe
Member Avatar
Since this thread was already necro'd I'll add my set up (I live alone in a gigantic open floor apartment). Also I put the pictures in spoiler tags because for some reason they came out HUGE:
This is my retro set up with sweet, sweet RGB goodness on a sony pvm. For the record the consoles you see are a n64, NES, SNES, GC with gameboy Player, Sega Genesis, and Sega Saturn. As you can tell those white bins are where I keep my controllers.
Spoiler: click to toggle

My Modern set up is such. PS2, PS3 Slim, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, Wii U (with Twilight Princess decal and External Hard Drive). Just ignore my reflection in my tv >_<

I also have Wii and PSTV I'm probably bringing out to these two TVs.

Oh and here is what my n64 game collection looks like

I keep running out of printer ink otherwise those would all have nice covers instead of just paper notes jammed in the side.

And should I get tired of all that I got my MAME Cab (I need to work on it though, needs a little bit of TLC, like japanese sticks!)

I'd post the other 2 legit arcade cabs (shinobi and mario bros) but they are my friends I'm hanging onto.
:n64: Games: 136
Wii U username: Durnaxe
Ready to lay the smack down in Pokken!

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have very limited space so I everything has to be compact. Two setups. One with my HDMI N64, PC and newer-ish consoles. And one for mostly retro consoles hooked up to a old Dell monitor that has a A/V input.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

UPDATE: Picked up a few more boxed games. Didn't have room. Picked up another shelf.
Posted Image
Edited by gamerjerome, Mar 19 2016, 06:50 PM.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Will definitely have my setup posted this weekend... hope to get the garage cleaned up
Very nice setup with the limited space gamerjerome, looks pretty nice.
Hope to have everything setup this weekend. :yeah:

MCE
Some nice setups in here! I am surprised by the lack of surround sound systems in most of the setups. Many N64 games, especially those made by Rare and Factor 5, have fantastic Dolby Pro-Logic sound. Do people not consider it a priority for "older" systems?

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
I would, but I do not have surround sound speakers plugs on my tv built in

Dewalt
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Awesome setup Dewalt - loving it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

Cabanon
Elite
woah,. is the CRT embedded in the back cabinet ?

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Living room setup. 40 inch Samsung TV. N64 is connected with S-Video through a HDMI converter, which isn't the greatest thing. Thinking of getting the Ultra HDMI mod this year, or at least Tim Worthington's RGB mod. Ultra HDMI looks like a nicer install and more versatile. I have an Ultra Everdrive 64 V3 from Stone Age Gamer so I'm halfway to being in the N64 elite, I guess.
Also in this setup is my original Wii connected via component (mostly for GameCube games) and my Wii U and PS4 (Switch will be added upon release).
I've also put together a great custom Retropie build on my Raspberry Pi 3, including a full game library of Vectrex, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, NES, Super NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, GBA, Virtual Boy, Sega SG-1000, Master System, Genesis, 32X, Game Gear, TurboGrafx-16, PCEngine, SuperGrafx, Neo-Geo, Neo-Geo Pocket, Neo-Geo Pocket Color.
Also a few favourites on Sega CD and PS1 and a complete Final Burn Alpha set (about 1500 arcade games) + selected/translated Famicom, Famicom Disc System, Super Famicom, Japanese Mega-Drive games.
Link here if you'd like to see it:
https://youtu.be/HBS65PZRrxw
Posted Image

EDIT:
I'm very jealous of anyone with a nice CRT. I had an amazing 20 inch (maybe a little bigger) Sony Trinitron from the mid 90's which I used all the way up to XBox 360 via component. It was a great looking TV and I'm sad that I got rid of it about 6-7 years ago. It weighed a lot. Took 3 people to throw it in the skip :(
Edited by gaavoid, Jan 31 2017, 06:48 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
gaavoid
Jan 31 2017, 06:09 PM
Beautiful setup you've got there, gaavoid! You're ready to play just about any game ever released. :yeah:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 31 2017, 06:47 PM
gaavoid
Jan 31 2017, 06:09 PM
Beautiful setup you've got there, gaavoid! You're ready to play just about any game ever released. :yeah:
I have 11,000 games at my fingertips. Not enough time in this life to play them all.
I could chop that down to 200 (good) games and be more than content.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Gorgeous setup. The struggle of playing N64 on modern displays is real. And I wish all my controllers were stored that tidy!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
My current N64 gaming setup is an exercise in minimalism.

Posted Image

All I have now to satiate my retro gaming appetite is the N64 and Wii connected to my 20 inch CRT.

My newer consoles including the PS4, Wii U and another Wii are connected to my LCD TV.

Posted Image
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

sanni
Member Avatar
Only have 2 consoles right now but I really do love them :wub:

Posted Image
Edited by sanni, Mar 21 2017, 08:55 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Sanni. I have to say this is EXACTLY how I imagined your setup to be. Clean. Simple. Modded. Pro Level CRT. Master Quest running on N64 hardware is a real Sanni touch.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm in the middle of remodeling my room so all my stuff is in boxes :(
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vinyl
Jun 6 2014, 07:11 PM
I'm very impressed how good the N64 looks on this HDTV. Is this because of the RGB mod?

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Here's my setup when I'm abroad:

- Sony Trinitron Wega 29'': amazing for hi-res games, not the best solution for the other
- PAL N64 with Expansion Pak
- S-video cable specially made for PAL N64
- Elgato Game Capture HD with s-video adapter
- Everdrive 64 V3

Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Mar 21 2017, 06:27 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

N64Lain
Member Avatar
Sorry if the picture is flipped around. Also apologize for the mess. Here's the details on my home setup

-DCT Factory OG-5050 Power Woofer (Found this in my house without the speakers. Really awesome sound system though)
-2x Sony Speakers taken from a CD/Tape/Radio All-in-Onehttp://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7420103/2/
-Sylvania 1080i TV (Got it at :pottymouth:'s a few years ago. Might replace it with a CRT if I am in the mood to get one again.)
-GE Composite and S-Video Switch Box with 3.5mm jack output (That's where the orange wire is coming from.)
-Sharp VCR for recording game footage (Don't own one of those nifty VCR ripping thingamabobs. Forget the actual name of them. Need to get one someday.)
-[NOT PICTURED] 2x Big RCA Speakers for Surround Sound purposes. (Used the Power Woofer to try to get surround sound, but it turned out to just be double stereo. Found that I need to get an HD Audio Decoder to really unleash the power of my sound system)
-Systems going from left to right: NES, Wii U, GameCube, SNES, N64, Sega Saturn, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, and Original Xbox. Other systems not pictured: PS2, Atari 2600.

Posted Image

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
All my stuff is in storage/boxes so here's my messy setup from a few years back.
Posted Image

Man I miss that little CRT.
Edited by Mantis128, Apr 7 2017, 10:22 PM.
https://twitter.com/T_H_YpBPr
http://ask.fm/Mantis128

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here is how I play Nintendo 64. Pretty simple huh?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Just a crappy CurtisMathes Tronics CRT with bad audio quality on a wooden coffee table. It doesn't impede my enjoyment of this hobby not one bit though. Much like how humans enjoy being held by loved ones as an evolutionary trait from mothers cradling their babies, so do I prefer sitting on the floor to play retro video games. Sitting far away with a big screen pales just sitting close to a CRT at eye level for me and the n64 being at the forefront shows how much it has hooked me compared to other consoles.

You can see the shelf with all my other dusty consoles in the backround. I bought it as an attempt to be neater but that thing was a waste of money and I think I'm going to get rid of it. It just takes up so much space and does nothing but make cords hard to reach. I used to just have all my stuff sitting lined up on the floor, which looked odd to most people but I'd have it no other way.

Just to the left of my station is a shelf containing most of my N64 games, except for my top 19, so they are all within arms reach when I rapidly switch games, though I've been mostly gaming on my everdrive as of late.

Also something I discovered 2 months ago while playing Gex 64 is that placing my small GX tv onto my bed and playing is insanely comfortable
Posted Image
It's impossible to show using a picture but playing n64 in bed with the lights off on a CRT is an amazing experience though I don't do it often. I wanted to get a few pictures since my setup is going to drastically change in the future but this is how it's been for 2 years.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 12 2017, 04:41 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Nice cosy setup there Shellshocker! Liking it. Great retro TV to boot! Got to love the CRTs for 64 action.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
It's great to see so many CRT's :wub:

I've moved recently. I now live in my own place, so will set up the place as a bit of a boys playroom :D

The console room will be much like before but with some added units. I'll post a pic as soon as I remember how to do that here!

Posted Image

There you go. So the two white four shelf units are the major change. On the right holds controllers- blue-sega, red=nintendo, beige=atari and black=miscellaneous. A major downfall of my previous setup was a lack of an organisation for the controllers. Now I can (WILL!) tidy them away. I will allow myself to leave out one controller only for the system currently getting play. In the pic is Goldeneye, but at the moment I am enjoying Super Mario Land for Game Boy via my SNES and a Super Game Boy adapter (",)

Left unit holds my Retro Gamer magazine collection. Will have to make some sort of custom solution as those magazine holders waste a lot of space on those shelves…

TV is 68cm. Sound is playing up on it so I have PC speakers attached instead, which I suppose actually sound better than the original speakers!
Edited by danny_galaga, May 18 2017, 03:36 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
@danny_galaga: Those white shelves are really nice. Where did you get them from, IKEA? :huh:

Yeah, it's really cool that so many people are still holding on to CRT TV's for their retro gaming fix. On one of the other forums I visit they even have a thread titled "CRT Fetish thread" which had nearly 780,000 views last time I checked. However, most of their discussion centers around PVM's which doesn't apply so much to the N64 since it doesn't natively output RGB.

Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

The black unit is from IKEA, the white ones are from Bunnings. Not sure where you are at, Bunnings are a hardware store in Australia/NZ. These are called Clever Cubes and like the IKEA ones you can get some nifty inserts, hence my colour coding for the controllers.

http://www.flexistorage.com.au/products/compact-cube-units/

Not sure about the IKEA ones, but as you can see from that link, there are some handy combinations available. So long as you like white :D

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
CRTs are the way to go if you can afford the space. I have one and a backup. Really would like to learn how to repair them because I feel that's going to be necessary in the years to come.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
My little 20 inch Toshiba.

It breaks my heart when I see ads on Craig's List for larger CRT's that still have good picture quality and the owner is practically giving them away. I just don't have the room for a TV like that any longer now that I live in a house with no basement. ;_;

Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Even though they look OK in the ads, most of the larger TVs have soft images as they were often used as main living room TVs for years. It's hard to find them with crisp images - I had to go through loads for mine. The 20" models tended to be used much less - often as bedroom or guest room TVs so are often less used and sharper.

The image in that photo looks great - the 20" size is nice for the N64 as well as the image is a little tighter than on a big CRT, not to mention the fact that Toshiba's have great tubes!
Edited by andyk2003, Jul 20 2017, 11:46 AM.
My CRT thread:

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Looks like I've updated my setup since my last post in this thread. Here's the latest and greatest and probably (hopefully) forever setup. I'm really hoping I'm done moving for a long time!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: