Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Full List of N64 Variations (so far: 167!!).; of what we know of..
Topic Started: May 18 2014, 06:32 AM (19,114 Views)
Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Sorry for the late reply.

Before I upgrade the numbers. I've seen that the Ique Family package is not a console. but a controller with a 4-player-converter thing so that means it's off the list!

Counter is still at 164! Thanks Danilochka for that insane pokemon variations
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
To celebrate Cinco de Mayo here's two Mexican variants - 1 Super Mario 64 bundle, and 1 Cruis'n USA bundle:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Too many sticker variants down in South America :eh:

Cabanon
Elite
what is this sticker ?

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p494103629

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Cabanon, it was called the ""Double GET Campaign"

Not only did you get an N64, but also two pokemon cards/brochure and a Pokemon music CD..

Or in other words, the "Double Get" was an N64 + Pokemon promos.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 10 2016, 09:51 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
ok cool.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
This just popped up at me! I know it dosen't qualify, but it rides that wierd line. I always liked these stores, even todays stores don't compare to them.

Babbages/Software etc. applique variant

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
"N64 GoldenEye 007 Bundle" link doesnt work.

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Hi All, I've searched the list and couldn't find this variation of the Watermelon Red Box in Europe. Typically the back is white with images of N64 games, etc. However, this variation that I've just bought has a blue back to it, with an image of the console itself and then the games. It is a UK release according to the seller. I will post better pictures once it arrives but I imagine this would have been available for all the funtastic consoles. (Apologies if I missed this in the list)

Most common Funtastic box back:
Posted Image

Blue back:
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Hi mate, congrats on your purchase, I think these are really cool design and something I'd love to add to my own collection one day.

I believe that this is actually a UK promo box. Where the barcode should be is some text saying something like: DISPLAY BOX. Although everytime I see these on eBay a sticker has been slapped over this, presumably so the shops could use it as a retail box instead. I'm curious to see if this is also case with your copy.

I do know however, that this back design was used for genuine retail with the Standard Console for a very limited time, the only difference being the colour is black instead of blue:

Posted Image

When it's just the games on the back on of the box being updated I call this an 'edition', a sort of a micro-variant since the main contents hasn't changed. So far I've not added any editions to this list as I think that might be a bit overkill for now, for example that is just one of 4 (possibly 5) editions for the UK Standard Console alone! :w00t:
Edited by danilochka, Sep 9 2016, 12:45 PM.
Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
That's really interesting, I can't wait to see if it is a sticker over the barcode or not. When I asked the guy about it he said he's had the console since new and judging by his listing he doesn't know that much about the N64 as the console was labelled wrong and he didn't have any pictures of the box, I only got those in an email and thought it looked odd compared to the ones I have.

I've never seen a Standard console box with the black back...I will be keeping my eye out from now on though. Thanks for the info danilochka. I'll add some more info when the console arrives.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Very interesting Intendall thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing some more detailed pics!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Sorry for the very very VERY late update. those Mexican has been added. :cussfit: awesome
About the consoles from the back, I have several as well with different backs.. I sure want to add them but really. no idea what to call them, we can do '2.0' or 'later version' Think of something =p
Edited by Vinyl, Sep 12 2016, 02:01 PM.
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
So the console arrived and here's a pic of the back as promised. danilochka you were spot on, it does say Display Box, but fortunately there isn't a barcode over the top. They have just marked it, I'm assuming to indicate it's sold. Anyway, I'm very happy with it and I like the Blue back.

Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Nice Intendall - very unique. Does it mean the console was used for display as well potentially?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Thanks for the photos and confirming my suspicions Intendall! Out of interest, is there a code in the inner flap of the box as well?

My vague recollection of video game shops in the 90s was that the shelves would often have this type of empty display boxes, you'd bring want you wanted to purchase to the counter and they would fetch the stock from the back room. Other times I recall bringing an empty retail box which they filled with contents stored behind the counter. I guess they did this to minimise theft, but it explains why display boxes are so prevalent in the UK and how some might have gotten mixed up with normal retail versions.

As for terminology, I think 'revision' is the correct word for boxes with updated backs. I just use 'edition' to cover both revisions and regional variations into the same category. I'm sure there's still a few more main variants out there to find before we tackle this next daunting list however.
Edited by danilochka, Sep 15 2016, 02:30 PM.
Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
No problem at all! I don't keep in my flat because it's too small but next time I'm with it I'll have a look in the inner flap and post a pic.

That's an odd way to do it, that would be mean the store had the Nintendo seals and would put them on at the end. This box in particular never had a seal on it.

Cabanon
Elite
is there any code in the flaps ?

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Continuing the love from Brazil this week I stumbled across this GoldenEye 007 console bundle:

Posted Image

However, despite it being listed on a Brazilian website, I don't actually believe it's from there. This is mainly because the console and game are the US versions whereas it should be the Gradiente versions if it was from Brazil. In addition to this the James Bond picture on the front of the box is a sticker, not a slipcover like most Brazilian pack-ins. So currently I'm leaning towards this being from elsewhere in South America as I've never come across it before.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Does it look like someone wrote on the user guide in another language?

Edit: Thanks to Nillew, the writing has been confirmed as Portuguese.
Edited by No64DD, Oct 18 2016, 10:53 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
these variations are blowing my mind. Still a rookie.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
My photobucket isn't working at the moment, but when it does, i have strong evidence that says that this seller is slapping these stickers, like the one above, on NTSC boxes.

This seller will also not cooperate answering any questions about these consoles either. It's not looking legitimate! :-/
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Ok. My photobucket is working again.

Here is another supposed "Goldeneye" bundle!
If you compare both stickers closely, you can see a change in tint. This one claims to include a black controller, but when compared to the other sticker, it also includes the other "rating percentage score" in the bottom corner...
Posted Image
The photo below shows the bottom of the console. It has a strange serial number beginning with NM. It also shows that it is the NTSC model. (USA)
Posted Image
And lastly, here is another console from the same shady seller. The SM64 sticker doesn't even make good sense!!
Posted Image

Many thanks yet again to Nillew for supplying the pictures and details. :yeah:

Thoughts?
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
Hey, all, here's a much better pic of the charcoal grey Perfect Dark Scandinavian exclusive box. someone sent it to me on ig.

Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Interesting variation of the Goldeneye console in the UK. Someone posted on a selling group that they had a printed Goldeneye box, not the Goldeneye sleeve. I couldn't see this on the UK list so wanted peoples input. I checked the back and it's not a display box. Has anyone seen this before?

Posted Image

Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Alrighty, I've been meaning to reply here for a while so I may as well do three at once:

@No64DD
Thanks to you and Nillew for bringing this to my attention. I understand how this can seem very dubious, there's lots of replacement cart labels listed on Mercado Livre, so there's obviously the technology for people make their own stickers, and slapping one on a console would probably help you make more money than just selling a regular console. Even with that said, I still believe these GoldenEye bundles may be genuine.

Firstly I'd like to address the serial number, it's legit, there are a few codes used throughout the world that I'm aware of: NS (North America), NM (Mexico and South America?), NUJ (Japan and Asia), NUK (South Korea) and NUP (Europe and Australia). Gradiente just uses their own coding system for the Brazilian consoles.

For some reason however, the Mexican coding is rarley used. The majority of consoles in Mexico are just US imports, often there's a NOM sticker next to the serial number (like this). What's interesting from your pics is that this console has a relatively low serial number of 17,452 and it looks like there's a 'import sticker' on that console too, but it's not the Mexican one.

The Super Mario one on the other hand, I agree does look pretty seem pretty snidey. It's obviously a Brazilian release given the Playtronic box, so I'm not really sure what to make of that at all. I mean there's a slim chance it's real, maybe a store made promotion?, but it doesn't really gel with the other Brazilian bundles at all.

I've checked out all of the consoles for sale on Bubsy Games' account and I can't find any other example of them using a sticker in this way. So I'm not ruling this out just yet, I'm still leaning towards the GoldenEye releases being from another South American country, I just don't know which as I've never seen that import sticker before. Hopefully another example will surface sometime in the future and we might get a clearer explanation of its origins.

@SoloJones64
I just love the Perfect Dark bundle, really hope I can own it one day. It looks like that one is the 'Atomic Purple' variant, any chance of getting a closer image of the sticker?

@Intendall64
Another nice find mate! I have seen this variant before but it doesn't show up all too often. I'll tell you my thoughts on this a little later but first can you let me know what is the code that's used on the inner box tab?
Edited by danilochka, Nov 27 2016, 11:34 AM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Danilochka,
i wanted to point out something from your original post:
Posted Image

Despite his reputation as a seller, wouldn't you agree that the effort he put into his moniker is a bit similar to the "SM64 label"?
Edited by No64DD, Nov 28 2016, 08:05 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Intendall64
Member Avatar
@Danilochka, managed to get some more pics. No code on the tabs though...???? What are your thoughts?

Posted Image

Posted Image

KelamyAUS
Member Avatar
Intendall64
Dec 6 2016, 02:17 PM
@Danilochka, managed to get some more pics. No code on the tabs though...???? What are your thoughts?

I've got one of these boxes and it is the same, no codes on the inner tabs. If you need any close up photos of anything to do with the box, just let me know.
Edited by KelamyAUS, Dec 6 2016, 02:56 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Hey all, sorry for the long delay, hope you've had a great Christmas / New Year.

So to cut a long story short; I don't really know for sure what these GoldenEye variants are, but I have a theory.

In November 1998 the UK got two N64 console bundles in time for the Christmas rush. One of these came with Super Mario 64 and the other was GoldenEye 007. Both of these retailed for £99.98 and came with a slipcover. Now this is strange as every other N64 variant in the UK got its own unique box. The only exception being the Gold Controller + GoldenEye bundle. So why a slipcover? Well I believe that was so shops could just add the games to existing stock and help get units off the shelves. Although that's just my speculation. Here's an example of the slipcover version, with an official price sticker:

Posted Image

By the end of November 1999 the six Color Editions (Funtastics) were released. These retailed for £74.99 to help compete against the newly released Sega Dreamcast. So obviously by now any plain old N64 variants (with no games) are going to be the least desirable. So my theory is that these new GoldenEye boxes were sent to stores, to repackage the all the remaining original consoles. I managed to find an old image I'd saved on my hard drive showing the redesigned box for £84.98. Since that is also an official price sticker we can at least confirm that the all-in-one boxes came out after the slipcovers, since they are £15.00 cheaper:

Posted Image

And that was pretty much it for the standard console. The Pokťmon Stadium Battle Set was released in April 2000, followed by the very successful Pikachu N64 in September 2000, and finally the Clear Blue console came out sometime in 2001.

It's also worth mentioning that there is also a third, minor variant of this bundle, one I have come across a few times so there are significant numbers of it out there. I presume it's an early (perhaps 1st print) of the slipcovers, where the both "The Legend of" and "Ocarina of Time" are missing from the Zelda preview on the back of the box. Basically it looks like a layering misprint that went unnoticed for a few batches:

Posted Image

Edited by danilochka, Dec 31 2016, 01:16 PM.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: