Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Designer Creates HDMI Adapter for N64
Topic Started: Jun 30 2014, 04:50 PM (1,161 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Designer Creates HDMI Adapter for N64

"A freelance hardware and software designer has created an adapter to let fans of the Nintendo 64 plug their systems into their sets via an HDMI cable.

Anyone who has plugged their trusty N64 into an HDTV knows all too well the heartbreak that ensues. The games, already painfully dated as far as polygonal graphics are concerned, don't handle well the transition to the 16:9, high definition output of modern sets. The old-school graphical charm is distorted in ways that make them look worse than they did on an old CRT standard television.

The creator of the adapter, a 23 year-old by the name of Marshall H, has a background in electrical engineering and design work. He told VentureBeat's GameBeat he was initially sparked to create the adapter by the lamentations of many people, himself included, who noticed how poorly N64 graphics showed on flatscreen televisions.

With HDMI, or DisplayPort, Marshall said you will always get a better picture, even with the "low-res pixel soup from the N64."

The adapter is still in development, with Marshall looking to improve on his original design -- like making the mod easier to install. In its current incarnation, the adapter requires a bit of soldering. He also wants to make sure it works with the various television formats used around the world. "A lot of N64 fans are Down Under," he said.

Marshall has a website, Retroactive, where you can read more about his N64 adapter, along with entries about his other projects."

I've been holding on to several N64's for a reason. ;)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RetroRoy
Great news.

The reason i've signed up to this forum is to look for some help with display issues.

My N64 works perfectly fine, however the colours on the display are very light, when playing some games it's very hard to distinguish what's going on. A perfect example if Frappe Snowland on Mario Kart 64, it's almost impossible to see the track from the scenery surrounding it.

I've tried to play with the contrast and colour settings, but to no avail. Currently using a composite cable with a Scart adapter on the end, and i've also plugged the y/r/w leads into the component cable slots on the back of my TV and i'm having the same problem.

I bought a new cable from ebay which will hopefully be here any day, but failing that does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I've tried it on another TV & you guessed it, i'm having the same problems :(

Any insight or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

RR. :phear:

super_joker
Member Avatar
Established Member
oh man! and i just bought like 4 different things to make mine RGB component!!!
it's true! A LOT OF :n64: gamers here in Australia :yeah:

I've added my name for release info, I am def. getting one of these babies!!
Edited by super_joker, Jun 30 2014, 06:01 PM.
PRESS START
Posted Image
PRESS START

Cabanon
Elite
yeah we all knew he was working on it for close to 2 years now. very good news ! might have to pick up a spare n64 to test/install it

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I wonder why Marshall H didn't initiate a Kickstarter campaign to fund this project? I'm sure he would have gotten the funds more quickly as there's still plenty of people who'd like to play their actual N64 console on a modern TV.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

super_joker
Member Avatar
Established Member
this is a great and powerful invention, think about it - it will also work with SNES, I'm sure he would have some kind of marketing deal! What do u think? :toad:
PRESS START
Posted Image
PRESS START

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
super_joker
Jun 30 2014, 07:32 PM
this is a great and powerful invention, think about it - it will also work with SNES, I'm sure he would have some kind of marketing deal! What do u think? :toad:
I'm not sure what the potential profit is as so many people play SNES games via emulation.

Since the N64 is harder to emulate, or so I'm told, there may be more of a market for an HDMI solution for it.

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
there could be an insane market for the big 3 aka NES/SNES/N64. I know there's someone working on full NES kit, dont remember who but it was @ nintendoage.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Grizzmeister
Jul 4 2014, 11:01 AM
super_joker
Jun 30 2014, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure what the potential profit is as so many people play SNES games via emulation.

Since the N64 is harder to emulate, or so I'm told, there may be more of a market for an HDMI solution for it.
Eh, I wouldn't really say N64 emulation is hard though, all of the popular games work pretty much flawlessly, and even 6 or so years ago, I was able to play Mario 64 fine on a emulator.
Posted Image

deal
What's the ballpark of this costing once it is finished?

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply