Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Inspiration from/for Nintendo Games; Crackpot Theories of BDR and Friends
Topic Started: Dec 29 2011, 06:37 AM (999 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Over the years, I've come up with a few half-baked theories. I figured I combine them into one post to further denigrate my credibility on the within subjects. Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRACKPOT THEORY #1: HYDRO THUNDER INSPIRED ABC's LOST
Lost Island Looks Very Familiar

Hi all. So I was playing Hydro Thunder last night and raced around Lost Island a few times. As I was playing, I thought it was so cool how Midway incorporated elements of ABC's Lost (great show, hope it made it to your region of the world) that race. The crashed airplane, the beach campsite, the mid race radar knockout, and what appeared to be the smoke monster on the Lost Island logo on the choose race screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But then it dawned on me this morning: Which came first?

Hydro Thunder's US release date was in 2001. Lost Season 1 aired in 2004. So the above obsevations are merely coincidental . . . or are they?? [cue Lost's black title screen].

Anyone else notice this??
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 19 2018, 11:55 AM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
I've never played Hyrdro Thunder, but I was about to say that I was pretty sure that Lost came after the N64 era. I guess it's just a strange coincidence, but Lost was probably being writting for quite a while. Perhaps before it was actually filmed, edited, and stuff like that, Midway heard about Lost when it was being written or something. That's all I can come up with, since a TV show that was really good being based on a level from a N64 game sounds a bit odd.
Edited by Meptrep, Dec 29 2011, 07:06 AM.
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Ooh, now I need to get Hydro Thunder. LOST is one of my favorite shows. :lol:

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Wow, nice observation.

I will point that out to everyone I play the game with from now on. :)

Never really watched much of the show, just saw other people watching it mostly...
Edited by D.J Cat, Dec 29 2011, 08:14 AM.

Fanny
Member Avatar
Established Member
The Red Shadow
Dec 29 2011, 08:09 AM
Ooh, now I need to get Hydro Thunder. LOST is one of my favorite shows. :lol:
You like "Lost" AND you have an "X-Files" avatar?!?!?!

Can we be friends? Those were hands down the greatest 2 shows ever! :)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Amen Fanny! Perhaps we can debate the "merits" of Scully .vs Claire (not possessed) vs. Kate (jungle dirty version), lol. How I miss those shows...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fanny
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Dec 29 2011, 07:27 PM
Amen Fanny! Perhaps we can debate the "merits" of Scully .vs Claire (not possessed) vs. Kate (jungle dirty version), lol. How I miss those shows...
Scully will always be one of the greatest female characters in any movie or show. Gillian Anderson deserved all her accolades for her portrayal. "Lost" was great on many of the same levels, but I think "The X-Files" came at the perfect time and really was the better of the two, though it's not an easy debate.

I just watched Season 6, Episode 6 - "How The Ghosts Stole Christmas" back on Christmas night and absolutely lavished every second of it. :) I have all of the collector's editions dvd sets and both movies on blu ray. I have seen each episode at least 4 times and each movie several times as well. A truly classic genre show and really a great show in the history of television.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Did u ever see Lost Reduced by the reduced shakespheare company on Youtube? Sketch comedy group, very funny (tho makes me a bit nostalgic).

Ps i have to agree again. Scully rocked.

(Apologies for the multiple edits!)
Edited by bluedogrulez, Dec 29 2011, 08:07 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Very awesome to see some fellow Lost and X-Files fans on the forum. Now if you guys are also into Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly we could really have something. :yeah:

By the way, to keep on topic, I won Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for PS2 on eBay today because it has Hydro Thunder on it. I know I'll get the N64 cart someday but I really wanted to get my hands on those collections and killed two birds with one stone.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Dec 29 2011, 08:53 PM.

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
The Red Shadow
Dec 29 2011, 08:50 PM
Very awesome to see some fellow Lost and X-Files fans on the forum. Now if you guys are also into Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly we could really have something. :yeah:
I don't care for Lost or the X-Files too much, but I'm a huge Star Trek: The Next Generation fan as well as Firefly.
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Meptrep
Dec 29 2011, 08:56 PM
The Red Shadow
Dec 29 2011, 08:50 PM
I don't care for Lost or the X-Files too much, but I'm a huge Star Trek: The Next Generation fan as well as Firefly.
That's awesome as well. Perhaps we should have a sci-fi discussion topic in the Social Board as it would be fun to gab about some of these shows again.

Fanny
Member Avatar
Established Member
Never got into any Star Trek, but Firefly was great and Serenity is in my top 100 movies of all time! ;)

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Dec 29 2011, 06:37 AM
Hi all. So I was playing Hydro Thunder last night and raced around Lost Island a few times. As I was playing, I thought it was so cool how Midway incorporated elements of ABC's Lost (great show, hope it made it to your region of the world) that race. The crashed airplane, the beach campsite, the mid race radar knockout, and what appeared to be the smoke monster on the Lost Island logo on the choose race screen.
I see the crashed plane, a big one too.
Couldnt see the beach camp site, but there are many beaches, so maybe I just didnt see it.
And I see the "smoke monster" on the track select.

No one tell me what happens, one day I might want to watch the show. :o
Spoilers are horrible, horrible things.

The "Hard" tracks in Hydro Thunder are so cool!
Spoiler: click to toggle

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I played Hydro Thunder on the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 collection yesterday and got a good chuckle from that race. I missed the smoke monster on the track select part but I did see the crashed plane. I need to look harder for the camp site as well. I got sucked into how much fun the game was that I almost forgot about the Lost stuff. :lol:

And D.J Cat, you should definitely check the show out. If for no other reason than to have some input into the legacy of the show. I loved every minute of it, other people hated it with a passion. It absolutely seems to polarize people one way or the other.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Jan 1 2012, 08:52 PM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Straight from the instruction book:

Located somewhere in the South
Pacific, the Lost Island track offers a
fast-paced trek through a volcanic
island. Lush greenery, native villages,
ancient ruins and numerous secrets
await you!

And, yes!
Finally worked out how to do the jump again.
Let go of A, Brake, then Boost.
I was missing the first step I think.

When your boat dips down, thats when you boost.
Can be very handy!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DJCat: Are you kidding me? The South Pacific, ancient ruins, secrets . . . we are definitely on to something :P !!

Here is how I boost-hop: Hold A (gas). A second before the hop, depress B(Brake) too. When A and B both down, depress Z (boost), and hop you shall. Just make sure you've got some nitro left in the tank.

You can earn a 4-sec boost at the start as follows: After selecting track and boat, there is a blue screen with a boat. Depress B. Then the racing screen appears. As the 3 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Then as the 2 disappears, release A and depress B similtaneously. Then as the 1 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Four second boost earned. (If you do it right, you will notice that your tachometer ticks a bit every time you release/depress A/B.) This is handy in the Far East, where you need to booast hop to shortcuts before any boost are available on the track.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 18 2012, 09:18 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACKPOT THEORY #2: THE AMINE SHORT "THE RUNNING MAN" INSPIRED F-ZERO
And Cake's "The Distance," too!

F-Zero and F-Zero X are all about futuristic hovercrafts racing to the death over ramped courses. Where have I seen this before??

Posted Image

Oh, right, Liquid Television on MTV (after the glorious period of nonstop videos and before the present days of nonstop unwatchable reality TV). Sarcasm aside, I just found this link to an English dub of The Running Man, an anime film short by Yoshiaki Kawajiri that I have not forgotten in 20+ years. It is that good . . . and reminds me of Cake's The Distance.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-10/running-man-by-ninja-scroll-kawajiri-streamed
https://vimeo.com/121083958

So which came first? The Running Man was originally released in 1986. F Zero did not hit any Nintendo console until November of 1990 (Super Famicon).

Even if this theory is more half-cocked that my Hydro Thunder = Lost thread, this short film is worth watching.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 19 2018, 12:10 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
It said something about this video not being watchable in this region.

Sounds legit though.
And I liked the Lost theory as you know.

CRACKPOT THEORY #3: BANJO KAZOOIE'S COVER ART "COVERED" THE COVER ART OF AN ATARI 2600 GAME
By Guest Crackpot Theorist, D.J. Cat

I read about this in N64 Magazine (A UK mag) over 10 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Castles_%28video_game%29

Tell me Banjo-Kazooie and that game dont have a LOT of similarities...
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jul 22 2014, 01:24 PM.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Oh, no! Sorry to hear that! The video is readily available on google in Japanese; the full length english version was a bit harder to find. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully others will google it; great anime in any language.

Crystal Castles was apparently pretty influential even if that cute cudly bear with a hat had nothing to do with Banjo.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 25 2012, 09:30 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
yeah I remember reading the same article, though I think they were just talking about the similarities in box art

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Interesting. Definite similarities there.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Look at the guy(s) to the left! And the green witch/dragon to the right! Wow.

BTW, I think the F-Zero and Banjo cover "inspirations" are great tributes to very cool things and tie the N64 to subpop phenomena. To me, its not seen as copying or being unoriginal, but rather originality with a context.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 26 2012, 09:52 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Castles_%28video_game%29
"Berthilda the witch"

Pretty similar to Gruntilda.

I also remember another letter in N64 magazine about a kids book that had very similar looking characters to Jet Focre Gemini.
I have these magazines still, but weather to keep them...ugh I have too much stuff.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK-POT THEORY #4: WRECK-IT RALPH INSPIRES MK8 COURSE
Sugar Rush = Sweet Sweet Canyon?

This one is definitely based in reality. Honest.

I finally saw Wreck-It Ralph the other night and enjoyed it thoroughly, until I realized some copy-catting going down. Okay, so the whole move is based upon terrific video game references, particularly Nintendo ones. But Nintendo seems to have paid itself a royalty by converting Sugar Rush--a kart racing game within the movie with adorable characters based in a land made entirely of candy--into one of its new Mario Kart courses: Sweet Sweet Canyon. Okay, its not the first stage in a Nintendo game (or even a Mario Kart game) to be placed in a Dessert World, but the timing and concepts make this my surest bet to date! And considering all of the cross-promotions, with Ralph being in Sonic Racing, and Ralph and Vanellope (the racer) being Disney Infinity characters, I'm not sure Disney would even mind.

Umm, candy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The candy, the color palette, and just look at the spectators!

Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 22 2018, 12:00 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

thefifthgiant
Member Avatar
Nice observations! It's hard to know the truth about these sort of things, but cool anyways. I love this stuff :yeah:

The first two seems like a stretch, but I'm betting you are exactly right about the MK8/Sugar Rush track, bluedog!
Check out my YouTube channel
Worse things have happened...

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK-POT THEORY #5: Samurai Goroh Appeared in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Before F-Zero

One of the legendary and readily recognizable F-Zero characters is Samurai Goroh. He's been with the franchise since the beginning, and even graced the back of the SNES box for its North American release in 1991.

Posted Image

But he was around before then. In fact, five (5) years before joining the F-Zero circuit, Samurai Goroh was apparently in a motorcycle gang called, "Satan's Helpers". It was this gang of rough and tumble bikers that Pee-Wee Herman won over with his bar-top dance to "Tequila" during his big adventure, which was captured on film and released in 1985 as "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure". Here's the proof:

Spoiler: click to toggle

So there you go, hard evidence and dare I say conclusive proof that we have Pee-Wee Herman to thank for the F-Zero character of Samurai Goroh.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
How had I missed this topic before :lol: Love the Goroh one. He is who I always raced with.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I have indeed mentioned the Lost theory to everyone who I play Hyrdo Thunder with.

I'm sure I see the camp site on the beach at some point.
Still haven't seen the show...
Maybe one day, when tine becomes largely available.
Not anytime soon!

Also, fantastic thread, now to go away and come up withbaone more crazy ideas 😀

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CPT#4 updated with photos (finally). A totally unbiased examination by me has me further convinced of its veracity!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
"Guest Crackpot Theorist"

It's an honour!

I can add the pics from the N64 magazine of said articles too further emphazize plus the Jet Force Gemini one as well!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: