Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Inspiration from/for Nintendo Games; Crackpot Theories of BDR and Friends
Topic Started: Dec 29 2011, 06:37 AM (992 Views)
D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Sorry to double post, but I have a new theory.
It's not much but:

The levels in HSV Adventure Racing are in order of time of day and maybe could be considered to be raced all in one day.
The first 3 levels are day levels, so the time of day exactly may be hard to pinpoint, but the final 3 levels are raced at sunset, then twighlight then night.
I want to believe!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
CRACKPOT THEORY #6: MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!! INSPIRED BY LITTLE-KNOWN TV WESTERN

I am back with my most outrageous theory to date. Strap yourselves in because I can going to expose the inspiration for one of the GREATEST home console games of all time:

MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT !!

So last weekend, my car was in for an oil change. The waiting room has some hokey western TV show from the 1960s running on a channel I never heard of (MeTV). The show was "The Big Valley" . . . no, I never heard of it either, but it apparently ran from 1965-1969. Just the way you'd picture it, odd coloring, male leads with their stern acting voices and the little women too demur to say a word. But then I realized why fate had put me in that waiting room: it wanted me to know the truth about MT Punch-Out!!

In this episode, a male lead gets to train and coach a down and out bare-knuckle boxer. When the boxer was sent into the ring with a big white bandage on his abdomen, I thought, hey, that's ironic, that's what King Hippo wore. When the boxer is sent into the ring wearing Van Kaiser's outfit, it hit me this might not be ironic at all!

The opposing fighter realizes that the boxer's weak spot is his head . . . and whacks at it as if the boxer was named Glass Joe.

As the fight goes on, the trainer desperately studies the opposing fighter for a tell . . . and finds it. It's his sloppy footwork. The fight is determined by the boxer hitting the opponent at the precise moment the trainer yells "now!" Like any later bout in MTPO, it's all about figuring out the tell of the flaw and then hitting the opponent at the right time.

So there you have it. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was inspired by the 1960s TV show, "The Big Valley", Episode: "the Price of Victory".

What, you don't believe me?!? See for yourself here:

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
X_D
@Bluedog,
i think you're on to something! Just listen to the crowd audio. It is eerily similar to the crowd in Punch-Out!!
The old heads at Nintendo Japan had to be inspired by old westerns.
Perhaps it was the possibilities of broad appeal, but why else would one of their first toys be an air rifle?

Posted Image
One of their earliest arcades was a western shootout game as well.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by No64DD, May 3 2017, 04:49 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Can other people contribute with their own crackpot theories?

It's pretty evident that the Motion Sensor Bomb in Smash Bros. 64 and Melee came from Goldeneye. It's also possible Nintendo took the Beam Sword from the Star Wars games (a big thing on the N64 at the time), and the Home Run Bat from their in-house developed Ken Griffey Jr. game.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
ItalianBaptist
May 3 2017, 07:40 AM

It's pretty evident that the Motion Sensor Bomb in Smash Bros. 64 and Melee came from Goldeneye. It's also possible Nintendo took the Beam Sword from the Star Wars games (a big thing on the N64 at the time), and the Home Run Bat from their in-house developed Ken Griffey Jr. game.
The motion sensor bomb was indeed inspired by Goldeneye, as the Cloaking Device and perhaps the same weapon in Melee were referred to as bring developed by dataDyne in the Trophy Description.

See how I did that by memory?
Who does that!

Makes me imagine all the plans they might have had before the Rare sale, I'm sure they had heaps and we're sad to let Rare go if they are making Perfect Dark references in Smash Melee.

It takes some kind of weird hyper/tired state to make posts like this.
Yep.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
ItalianBaptist
May 3 2017, 07:40 AM

Of course, but it is IMPERATIVE that one thoroughly explain one's crackpot theories with absolute certainty to the point of sounding deranged, lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACKPOT THEORY #7: "PAULINE" OF DONKEY KONG AND SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY WAS INSPIRED BY THE MAIN CHARACTER OF A SILENT FILM SERIES KNOWN AS "PAULINE IN PERIL"

I'm back with a new post on one of my favorite threads here. This time, I cannot claim any credit for this CRACKPOT THEORY. But I was so impressed with it, and it has the exact tone of conspiracy theory vibe of many of our other Crackpot Theories, that I wanted to share it here.

Nintendo Life: How Pauline Got Her Name
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK POT THEORY #8: A SYSTEM OF A DOWN SONG INSPIRED "BAYONETTA"
We have Chop Suey! to thank for Cereza

You never know when inspiration is going to hit you with an idea so incredible that it just must be true and right. But I can tell you when and where that happened to me this very morning. It was while I was trying to chase a fox from underneath my deck. I figured if I stomped hard enough, and blasted the loudest, most jarring music that my frozen brain could think of, it would scare him away. That music was System of a Down’s “Chop Suey!”, which thundered across the global airwaves for the first time in 2001.

Much can be said of this manic song, but Serj’s lyrics that grabbed me in this sudden moment of clarity were: “When Angels deserve to DIE!!!!!!!” Seriously, what could be more sacrilegious than wishing harm upon an angel? What could one angel let alone multiple angels do to deserve to die? Well maybe if they were relentlessly hunting a beautiful, alluring Umbran with a wicked, wicked weave.....

Posted Image

That’s right folks, System of a Down’s Chop Suey! is most likely the inspiration for Platinum Games’ mother of all hack n slashers, “Bayonetta”. For the uninitiated, Bayonetta is the story of an Umbra witch being hunted down by an army of angels. Bayonetta (a/k/a Cereza) battles for survival by dispatching them in violent ways, all the while telling them to “Flock off!!” Platinum Games began development for Bayonetta in 2007, giving the dev team plenty of time to ponder how and why angels could possible deserve to die.

Of course, the lead developer, Hideki Kamiya, denies this obvious connection, claiming Bayonetta to be a wholly original work, taking inspiration from Scandanavian mythology and Devil May Cry 4. But we all know nothing is truly original in this world. And there’s more ....

Chop Suey! nears its end with the lyric “Father, into your hands, why have you forsaken me, in your eyes forsaken me, in your thoughts forsaken me, in your heart forsaken me?” Spoiler Alert: Bayonetta has daddy issues, too. In fact, her father is a complete weenie. Near Bayonetta’s end, daddy dearest tries to destroy Bayonetta both in her toddler and adult forms. Crazy stuff, clearly inspired by a song crazy enough to scare off a fox.

So there you have it, my most conclusive crack pot theory to date: Bayonetta was inspired by System of a Down’s Chop Suey!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I love this topic and this latest crackpot theory!

And here is the link to the music video for any of the few who don't know the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY&feature=youtu.be

This was so popular in 2001...surely 10 times better than whatever is popular these days, although that's another story.

I have never played the game but I will be pointing this one out to anyone who has!

I need to think of more theories, I know I have them and they are solid, just have to remember them.

I still point out the Hydro Thunder/Lost one every chance I get!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DJ Cat--Thanks for posting the link to Chop Suey!

I started rehabbing/augmenting my prior theories with photos. Those Hydro Thunder / Lost ones will hopefully aid you in converting more believers! The conspiracies must be revealed!!! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
This topic from 7 years ago was already legendary, but to retro fit it with pictures to really help emphasize the point...

So good!
Edited by D.J Cat, Jan 19 2018, 10:45 PM.

Cabanon
Elite
D.J Cat
Jan 19 2018, 10:59 AM
This was so popular in 2001...surely 10 times better than whatever is popular these days, although that's another story.
popular you say ? man this song hit the radio like a freaking storm, played non-stop on music TV (yes videos clip were still a sthing on TV) and on radio. every station played it and for over a year. if youtube existed as much as it did when gangnam style was, it would have shattered records.

I remember the back to back 2002 show in Montreal, our small town filled up 2 school bus for a 4h ride just to be there. I was asked close to a hundred of copy of Toxicity's album. everybody wanted it.

good old day.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Love SOAD and love bayonetta :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Jul 21 2014, 03:49 PM
CRACK-POT THEORY #4: WRECK-IT RALPH INSPIRES MK8 COURSE
Sugar Rush = Sweet Sweet Canyon?

(EDIT this post into my last one if need be but here is the Sugar Rush Music Video)

https://youtu.be/AA6seznhyfg

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: