Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Inspiration from/for Nintendo Games; Crackpot Theories of BDR and Friends
Topic Started: Dec 29 2011, 06:37 AM (1,405 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Over the years, I've come up with a few half-baked theories. I figured I combine them into one post to further denigrate my credibility on the within subjects. Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRACKPOT THEORY #1: HYDRO THUNDER INSPIRED ABC's LOST
Lost Island Looks Very Familiar

Hi all. So I was playing Hydro Thunder last night and raced around Lost Island a few times. As I was playing, I thought it was so cool how Midway incorporated elements of ABC's Lost (great show, hope it made it to your region of the world) that race. The crashed airplane, the beach campsite, the mid race radar knockout, and what appeared to be the smoke monster on the Lost Island logo on the choose race screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But then it dawned on me this morning: Which came first?

Hydro Thunder's US release date was in 2001. Lost Season 1 aired in 2004. So the above obsevations are merely coincidental . . . or are they?? [cue Lost's black title screen].

Anyone else notice this??
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 19 2018, 11:55 AM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Amen Fanny! Perhaps we can debate the "merits" of Scully .vs Claire (not possessed) vs. Kate (jungle dirty version), lol. How I miss those shows...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Did u ever see Lost Reduced by the reduced shakespheare company on Youtube? Sketch comedy group, very funny (tho makes me a bit nostalgic).

Ps i have to agree again. Scully rocked.

(Apologies for the multiple edits!)
Edited by bluedogrulez, Dec 29 2011, 08:07 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DJCat: Are you kidding me? The South Pacific, ancient ruins, secrets . . . we are definitely on to something :P !!

Here is how I boost-hop: Hold A (gas). A second before the hop, depress B(Brake) too. When A and B both down, depress Z (boost), and hop you shall. Just make sure you've got some nitro left in the tank.

You can earn a 4-sec boost at the start as follows: After selecting track and boat, there is a blue screen with a boat. Depress B. Then the racing screen appears. As the 3 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Then as the 2 disappears, release A and depress B similtaneously. Then as the 1 disappears, release B and depress A similtaneously. Four second boost earned. (If you do it right, you will notice that your tachometer ticks a bit every time you release/depress A/B.) This is handy in the Far East, where you need to booast hop to shortcuts before any boost are available on the track.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 18 2012, 09:18 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACKPOT THEORY #2: THE AMINE SHORT "THE RUNNING MAN" INSPIRED F-ZERO
And Cake's "The Distance," too!

F-Zero and F-Zero X are all about futuristic hovercrafts racing to the death over ramped courses. Where have I seen this before??

Posted Image

Oh, right, Liquid Television on MTV (after the glorious period of nonstop videos and before the present days of nonstop unwatchable reality TV). Sarcasm aside, I just found this link to an English dub of The Running Man, an anime film short by Yoshiaki Kawajiri that I have not forgotten in 20+ years. It is that good . . . and reminds me of Cake's The Distance.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-10/running-man-by-ninja-scroll-kawajiri-streamed
https://vimeo.com/121083958

So which came first? The Running Man was originally released in 1986. F Zero did not hit any Nintendo console until November of 1990 (Super Famicon).

Even if this theory is more half-cocked that my Hydro Thunder = Lost thread, this short film is worth watching.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 19 2018, 12:10 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Oh, no! Sorry to hear that! The video is readily available on google in Japanese; the full length english version was a bit harder to find. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully others will google it; great anime in any language.

Crystal Castles was apparently pretty influential even if that cute cudly bear with a hat had nothing to do with Banjo.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 25 2012, 09:30 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Look at the guy(s) to the left! And the green witch/dragon to the right! Wow.

BTW, I think the F-Zero and Banjo cover "inspirations" are great tributes to very cool things and tie the N64 to subpop phenomena. To me, its not seen as copying or being unoriginal, but rather originality with a context.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 26 2012, 09:52 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK-POT THEORY #4: WRECK-IT RALPH INSPIRES MK8 COURSE
Sugar Rush = Sweet Sweet Canyon?

This one is definitely based in reality. Honest.

I finally saw Wreck-It Ralph the other night and enjoyed it thoroughly, until I realized some copy-catting going down. Okay, so the whole move is based upon terrific video game references, particularly Nintendo ones. But Nintendo seems to have paid itself a royalty by converting Sugar Rush--a kart racing game within the movie with adorable characters based in a land made entirely of candy--into one of its new Mario Kart courses: Sweet Sweet Canyon. Okay, its not the first stage in a Nintendo game (or even a Mario Kart game) to be placed in a Dessert World, but the timing and concepts make this my surest bet to date! And considering all of the cross-promotions, with Ralph being in Sonic Racing, and Ralph and Vanellope (the racer) being Disney Infinity characters, I'm not sure Disney would even mind.

Umm, candy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The candy, the color palette, and just look at the spectators!

Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 22 2018, 12:00 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK-POT THEORY #5: Samurai Goroh Appeared in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Before F-Zero

One of the legendary and readily recognizable F-Zero characters is Samurai Goroh. He's been with the franchise since the beginning, and even graced the back of the SNES box for its North American release in 1991.

Posted Image

But he was around before then. In fact, five (5) years before joining the F-Zero circuit, Samurai Goroh was apparently in a motorcycle gang called, "Satan's Helpers". It was this gang of rough and tumble bikers that Pee-Wee Herman won over with his bar-top dance to "Tequila" during his big adventure, which was captured on film and released in 1985 as "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure". Here's the proof:

Spoiler: click to toggle

So there you go, hard evidence and dare I say conclusive proof that we have Pee-Wee Herman to thank for the F-Zero character of Samurai Goroh.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CPT#4 updated with photos (finally). A totally unbiased examination by me has me further convinced of its veracity!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACKPOT THEORY #6: MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT!! INSPIRED BY LITTLE-KNOWN TV WESTERN

I am back with my most outrageous theory to date. Strap yourselves in because I can going to expose the inspiration for one of the GREATEST home console games of all time:

MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT !!

So last weekend, my car was in for an oil change. The waiting room has some hokey western TV show from the 1960s running on a channel I never heard of (MeTV). The show was "The Big Valley" . . . no, I never heard of it either, but it apparently ran from 1965-1969. Just the way you'd picture it, odd coloring, male leads with their stern acting voices and the little women too demur to say a word. But then I realized why fate had put me in that waiting room: it wanted me to know the truth about MT Punch-Out!!

In this episode, a male lead gets to train and coach a down and out bare-knuckle boxer. When the boxer was sent into the ring with a big white bandage on his abdomen, I thought, hey, that's ironic, that's what King Hippo wore. When the boxer is sent into the ring wearing Van Kaiser's outfit, it hit me this might not be ironic at all!

The opposing fighter realizes that the boxer's weak spot is his head . . . and whacks at it as if the boxer was named Glass Joe.

As the fight goes on, the trainer desperately studies the opposing fighter for a tell . . . and finds it. It's his sloppy footwork. The fight is determined by the boxer hitting the opponent at the precise moment the trainer yells "now!" Like any later bout in MTPO, it's all about figuring out the tell of the flaw and then hitting the opponent at the right time.

So there you have it. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was inspired by the 1960s TV show, "The Big Valley", Episode: "the Price of Victory".

What, you don't believe me?!? See for yourself here:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
ItalianBaptist
May 3 2017, 07:40 AM
Can other people contribute with their own crackpot theories?

It's pretty evident that the Motion Sensor Bomb in Smash Bros. 64 and Melee came from Goldeneye. It's also possible Nintendo took the Beam Sword from the Star Wars games (a big thing on the N64 at the time), and the Home Run Bat from their in-house developed Ken Griffey Jr. game.
Of course, but it is IMPERATIVE that one thoroughly explain one's crackpot theories with absolute certainty to the point of sounding deranged, lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACKPOT THEORY #7: "PAULINE" OF DONKEY KONG AND SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY WAS INSPIRED BY THE MAIN CHARACTER OF A SILENT FILM SERIES KNOWN AS "PAULINE IN PERIL"

I'm back with a new post on one of my favorite threads here. This time, I cannot claim any credit for this CRACKPOT THEORY. But I was so impressed with it, and it has the exact tone of conspiracy theory vibe of many of our other Crackpot Theories, that I wanted to share it here.

Nintendo Life: How Pauline Got Her Name
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
CRACK POT THEORY #8: A SYSTEM OF A DOWN SONG INSPIRED "BAYONETTA"
We have Chop Suey! to thank for Cereza

You never know when inspiration is going to hit you with an idea so incredible that it just must be true and right. But I can tell you when and where that happened to me this very morning. It was while I was trying to chase a fox from underneath my deck. I figured if I stomped hard enough, and blasted the loudest, most jarring music that my frozen brain could think of, it would scare him away. That music was System of a Down’s “Chop Suey!”, which thundered across the global airwaves for the first time in 2001.

Much can be said of this manic song, but Serj’s lyrics that grabbed me in this sudden moment of clarity were: “When Angels deserve to DIE!!!!!!!” Seriously, what could be more sacrilegious than wishing harm upon an angel? What could one angel let alone multiple angels do to deserve to die? Well maybe if they were relentlessly hunting a beautiful, alluring Umbran with a wicked, wicked weave.....

Posted Image

That’s right folks, System of a Down’s Chop Suey! is most likely the inspiration for Platinum Games’ mother of all hack n slashers, “Bayonetta”. For the uninitiated, Bayonetta is the story of an Umbra witch being hunted down by an army of angels. Bayonetta (a/k/a Cereza) battles for survival by dispatching them in violent ways, all the while telling them to “Flock off!!” Platinum Games began development for Bayonetta in 2007, giving the dev team plenty of time to ponder how and why angels could possible deserve to die.

Of course, the lead developer, Hideki Kamiya, denies this obvious connection, claiming Bayonetta to be a wholly original work, taking inspiration from Scandanavian mythology and Devil May Cry 4. But we all know nothing is truly original in this world. And there’s more ....

Chop Suey! nears its end with the lyric “Father, into your hands, why have you forsaken me, in your eyes forsaken me, in your thoughts forsaken me, in your heart forsaken me?” Spoiler Alert: Bayonetta has daddy issues, too. In fact, her father is a complete weenie. Near Bayonetta’s end, daddy dearest tries to destroy Bayonetta both in her toddler and adult forms. Crazy stuff, clearly inspired by a song crazy enough to scare off a fox.

So there you have it, my most conclusive crack pot theory to date: Bayonetta was inspired by System of a Down’s Chop Suey!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DJ Cat--Thanks for posting the link to Chop Suey!

I started rehabbing/augmenting my prior theories with photos. Those Hydro Thunder / Lost ones will hopefully aid you in converting more believers! The conspiracies must be revealed!!! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply