Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doom 64; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 1 2014, 08:18 PM (1,504 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
After many nominations in the past, Doom 64 is our August Game of the Month. I have played and enjoyed the snes version of Doom. Unfortunately I never got to try Doom 64 though. Perhaps someday :)

I am a little short of time at the moment, but the September nomination topic will likely be up bytomorrow night.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Aw and Hybrid Heaven was so close too. :(

As for Doom 64, I haven't played it since I was a kid when I borrowed the game from a friend for a few days, but I do remember enjoying myself. Of course, being absolutely horrific at first person shooters, I didn't get very far. :lol:
Edited by EnvyFox, Aug 2 2014, 01:43 AM.
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I've only played the PC and PS1 versions of Doom and, quite honestly, they haven't aged well for me. Its still an iconic game, though.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Doom on the N64, whats not to like :yeah:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

www.retroplayer.nl
i'm not a big talker but my homeboy hvgn got my back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ebxl_7_Xw
Posted Image

ThoseWeirdGames
Also Glenn Plant for your listening pleasure, comign to a lot of the same conclusions as HVGN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQCU9RkC4I

Will be playing my copy soon in celebration of its victory.
36 Current N64 games
2 Grey Controllers
1 Black Console
1 Rumble Pak, 1 Memory Card

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Any Doom game is good IMO. Doom 64 was great :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Played some Doom 64 last night. Forgot how much fun doom is, looks really dated though :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

thefifthgiant
Member Avatar
Doom 64 is great and is one if my favorites on the system. Biggest complaint has to be how ridiculously dark the whole thing is.. Have to crank up the brightness every time!
Check out my YouTube channel
Worse things have happened...

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
For anyone who doesn't know, the original Doom (the PC game) is being ported to the N64! You need a way to play it on an N64 (such as a flash cartridge like the Everdrive 64 or 64Drive), or else you'll have to play it on an emulator (in which case you might as well play the PC original, as then you can use fan made mods too). At the moment, it supports the following games:

Doom (the original three episode game),
Sharware Doom (the first episode (nine levels) of Doom),
Ultimate Doom (Doom plus another episode),
Doom 2,
Final Doom: TNT Evilution,
Final Doom: Plutonia.

and basically you just want to use

Ultimate Doom,
Doom 2,
Final Doom: TNT Evilution,
Final Doom: Plutonia.

as the levels in Doom are all included in Ultimate Doom anyway, and the levels in Shareware Doom are in both Doom and Ultimate Doom.

For information and downloads:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1886.0

starwolf
Established Member
The game scared the rap out of me when I rented the game back at blockbuster when the game first come out. Man did it look awesome, the sprites were much scarier and the games music was frightening, and the weapons were really cool to look at and powerful, especially the iconic super shotgun.

Nuno
Member Avatar
Veteran
An amazing game in my opinion.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Doom on N64 was what really sold the console to me at the time. I'd played countless hours on PC and wanted a console of my own to play it on. So, when I got my first N64 back in 1997, Doom 64 was one of the games I got with it Super Mario 64 was the other).

And I enjoyed it but it very quickly got forgotten when I started playing GoldenEye. I remember not liking GoldenEye at first because the gun didn't point straight forward like the guns in Doom do... I thought it was going to fire off to the side! ☺

Anyway, Doom was fun but it looks bad in comparison to proper 3D shooters. The sprite enemies with limited animation look really flat in comparison to enemies in GoldenEye or Turok. PC Doom disguises this better as the enemies are better animated and the backgrounds aren't as detailed so the enemies don't look quite as flat. Also, it kinda felt like GoldenEye had moved the genre forward; FPSs weren't just about shooting enemies and finding coloured keys any more.

All that said though, I did enjoy Doom 64. It was great to play some unique new levels and I liked the dark atmosphere. It really is the "missing link" between Doom 2 (or Final Doom) and Doom 3. :)

:n64:
Edited by alxbly, Sep 26 2014, 07:26 AM.

Nuno
Member Avatar
Veteran
alxbly
Sep 26 2014, 07:25 AM
The sprite enemies with limited animation look really flat in comparison to enemies in GoldenEye or Turok.
Yes, that's true. The enemies were like flat sprites that spin horizontally to always face the player (even the dead ones on the floor lol). It would be much better to have real 3D models.

Still I'm a bit surprised that a fan of Doom didn't appreciate it that much :)
Or maybe it was just me that didn't have any expectations for the game and ended up so surprised.

swaaye
Established Member
I liked the change in look and feel. The fogging and lighting effects in some levels were really amazing in its day. But I was never much for Doom's essentially story-free, simple keyhunt gameplay. I tend to get bored after a few levels.

What the game needed was split-screen co-op multiplayer. If the developers had been in touch with what made Doom a phenomenon, they would have designed their game around that. That would have made sales. I'm having a hard time even thinking up a co-op multiplayer FPS on N64 though...

In retrospect it does seem like a precursor to what id did with Doom3 as said above.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 26 2014, 11:10 AM.

starwolf
Established Member
I wish people would appreciate retro games for what they are and capable of.

swaaye
Established Member
starwolf
Sep 26 2014, 05:52 PM

What if I bought it in 97 and didn't like it much back then either? :) I did like the new aesthetic and the new effects but man Doom was tired by that time. Especially single player Doom...

I think Doom64 was Midway testing the waters and not taking many risks. It is only on a 8MB cart and they cut stuff to do this. They didn't even try for multiplayer, even when N64 was the hot new 4 player machine. That right there says cheap development investment to me. Gamespot gave it a 50% score. All for the low $60 price lol.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 26 2014, 10:34 PM.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
swaaye
Sep 26 2014, 11:07 AM
I'm having a hard time even thinking up a co-op multiplayer FPS on N64 though...
Perfect Dark had co-op and even a counter-op mode. But that was pretty late in the N64's life.

I haven't played Doom 64 in ages. But I remember getting lost. A lot.

I remember thinking the enemies were 2D in a 3D world. It didn't blow me away at the time, but I appreciated it for what it was though. Find big guns, blast blast blast. I'd love to pick it up again sometime soon.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

starwolf
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 26 2014, 08:54 PM
starwolf
Sep 26 2014, 05:52 PM

What if I bought it in 97 and didn't like it much back then either? :) I did like the new aesthetic and the new effects but man Doom was tired by that time. Especially single player Doom...

I think Doom64 was Midway testing the waters and not taking many risks. It is only on a 8MB cart and they cut stuff to do this. They didn't even try for multiplayer, even when N64 was the hot new 4 player machine. That right there says cheap development investment to me. Gamespot gave it a 50% score. All for the low $60 price lol.
The game was great. I don't care what anyone says. Super shotgun, to the bfg, all the guns feel so much better than doom 1 and 2. You also can tell the games engine was a yes to see if the n64 could handle it for future games such as quake 1 and 2. Oh jeeze.

swaaye
Established Member
kartmaster
Sep 26 2014, 11:16 PM
Perfect Dark had co-op and even a counter-op mode. But that was pretty late in the N64's life.

I haven't played Doom 64 in ages. But I remember getting lost. A lot.

I remember thinking the enemies were 2D in a 3D world. It didn't blow me away at the time, but I appreciated it for what it was though. Find big guns, blast blast blast. I'd love to pick it up again sometime soon.

You can actually get it for PC for free. Some guys ported it years ago. It's called Doom 64: Absolution. That's what the Doom64 developers originally wanted to call their game.

I forgot about Perfect Dark coop. Gotta find someone to try that with sometime. Maybe on the 360 port that runs 60fps.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 27 2014, 10:06 AM.

deal
How does Doom 64 compare to Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

I remember playing Duke Nukem 64.

swaaye
Established Member
jasonsmith
Sep 28 2014, 02:58 AM
How does Doom 64 compare to Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

I remember playing Duke Nukem 64.
Duke Nukem 64 is essentially the PC game with some cuts such as no music and a reduction in the "mature" content. It has 4 player multiplayer too.

Duke Nukem Zero Hour is an original 3rd person shooter. This game was anticipated and hyped as the true N64 Duke game because it is fully 3D. It's an ok game and worth trying. It also has 4 player multiplayer.

Doom 64 is technically very similar to the PC games. They re-imagined the look of the Doom universe though. The maps, monsters, textures, guns, sounds, "music", are all different with a horror focus. It has some neat 3D effects later in the game. It has no multiplayer.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 28 2014, 04:22 PM.

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply