Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doom 64; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 1 2014, 08:18 PM (1,482 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Doom on N64 was what really sold the console to me at the time. I'd played countless hours on PC and wanted a console of my own to play it on. So, when I got my first N64 back in 1997, Doom 64 was one of the games I got with it Super Mario 64 was the other).

And I enjoyed it but it very quickly got forgotten when I started playing GoldenEye. I remember not liking GoldenEye at first because the gun didn't point straight forward like the guns in Doom do... I thought it was going to fire off to the side! ☺

Anyway, Doom was fun but it looks bad in comparison to proper 3D shooters. The sprite enemies with limited animation look really flat in comparison to enemies in GoldenEye or Turok. PC Doom disguises this better as the enemies are better animated and the backgrounds aren't as detailed so the enemies don't look quite as flat. Also, it kinda felt like GoldenEye had moved the genre forward; FPSs weren't just about shooting enemies and finding coloured keys any more.

All that said though, I did enjoy Doom 64. It was great to play some unique new levels and I liked the dark atmosphere. It really is the "missing link" between Doom 2 (or Final Doom) and Doom 3. :)

:n64:
Edited by alxbly, Sep 26 2014, 07:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply