Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Doom 64; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 1 2014, 08:18 PM (1,500 Views)
swaaye
Established Member
I liked the change in look and feel. The fogging and lighting effects in some levels were really amazing in its day. But I was never much for Doom's essentially story-free, simple keyhunt gameplay. I tend to get bored after a few levels.

What the game needed was split-screen co-op multiplayer. If the developers had been in touch with what made Doom a phenomenon, they would have designed their game around that. That would have made sales. I'm having a hard time even thinking up a co-op multiplayer FPS on N64 though...

In retrospect it does seem like a precursor to what id did with Doom3 as said above.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 26 2014, 11:10 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

swaaye
Established Member
starwolf
Sep 26 2014, 05:52 PM
I wish people would appreciate retro games for what they are and capable of.

What if I bought it in 97 and didn't like it much back then either? :) I did like the new aesthetic and the new effects but man Doom was tired by that time. Especially single player Doom...

I think Doom64 was Midway testing the waters and not taking many risks. It is only on a 8MB cart and they cut stuff to do this. They didn't even try for multiplayer, even when N64 was the hot new 4 player machine. That right there says cheap development investment to me. Gamespot gave it a 50% score. All for the low $60 price lol.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 26 2014, 10:34 PM.

swaaye
Established Member
kartmaster
Sep 26 2014, 11:16 PM
Perfect Dark had co-op and even a counter-op mode. But that was pretty late in the N64's life.

I haven't played Doom 64 in ages. But I remember getting lost. A lot.

I remember thinking the enemies were 2D in a 3D world. It didn't blow me away at the time, but I appreciated it for what it was though. Find big guns, blast blast blast. I'd love to pick it up again sometime soon.

You can actually get it for PC for free. Some guys ported it years ago. It's called Doom 64: Absolution. That's what the Doom64 developers originally wanted to call their game.

I forgot about Perfect Dark coop. Gotta find someone to try that with sometime. Maybe on the 360 port that runs 60fps.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 27 2014, 10:06 AM.

swaaye
Established Member
jasonsmith
Sep 28 2014, 02:58 AM
How does Doom 64 compare to Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

I remember playing Duke Nukem 64.
Duke Nukem 64 is essentially the PC game with some cuts such as no music and a reduction in the "mature" content. It has 4 player multiplayer too.

Duke Nukem Zero Hour is an original 3rd person shooter. This game was anticipated and hyped as the true N64 Duke game because it is fully 3D. It's an ok game and worth trying. It also has 4 player multiplayer.

Doom 64 is technically very similar to the PC games. They re-imagined the look of the Doom universe though. The maps, monsters, textures, guns, sounds, "music", are all different with a horror focus. It has some neat 3D effects later in the game. It has no multiplayer.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 28 2014, 04:22 PM.

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply