Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Just pulled the trigger on a CRT!!
Topic Started: Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM (1,654 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LivingGhandi
Member Avatar
Nice! Haha no joke, I have a top of the line 55" flat screen but anything older than my Wii U tend to always be hooked up to one of my CRT TV's. It really does make them look better!
Consoles: 14/16 (6 CIB)
Controllers: 24/30 (10 CIB)
Games: 285/296 (23 CIB)
Midwest USA

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Yeah seriously but for me is anything under GameCube. GameCube games that support 480p look nice on hdtvs. 480i is a mixed bag. Wii games pop in 480p for the most part.

N64 and under forget about it. You need a crt!!!

Kobeskillz
Established Member
So I was able to test it last night and while yes it's a CRT I had forgotten how low res and overall blurry N64 games were. It really took my eyes some time to adjust after full time HD viewing.

The image was clear of all the crap I would get connecting the 64 to my HDTV and while blurry it was still a clean image.

I only tested Jet Force but I remember that game being blurry even back in the day i'f i'm correct.

LivingGhandi
Member Avatar
Yeah recently I have played that game a bit and found it to be a little worse than others. Try Super Smash Brothers or Mario 64. Those will look better I'll bet :)
Edited by LivingGhandi, Aug 7 2014, 08:26 AM.
Midwest USA

Kobeskillz
Established Member
LivingGhandi
Aug 7 2014, 08:26 AM
Yeah recently I have played that game a bit and found it to be a little worse than others. Try Super Smash Brothers or Mario 64. Those will look better I'll bet :)
Yeah it is pretty blurry. Not sure why Rare never used the expansion pack to clean up the visions and make bump the res.

I tried some other games but couldn't get a few working. Probably dirty or something. I also tried my NES but couldn't get my games up but it has been years since i've fired up these pups.

LivingGhandi
Member Avatar
You'd be surprised to find that these games that don't work are cleanable!
All you need is Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I recommend 50-70% alcohol and about 5-10 seconds of rubbing on the pins. Most, if not all games will work just fine after this.

Try it out and thank me later :yeah:

I had a copy of Kirby's adventure for the NES that just wouldn't work. I tried cleaning it a bit and still nothing. A few months passed, and I gave it one last shot. I cleaned the connecting pins on the cartridge and now it works better than some of my others that have always worked! It's literally a gaming miracle. Let me know if you get them working.

P.S. I clean all of my games like this. Working or not. Whenever I get new ones I clean them before inserting them because if you put too many dirty games in your system, soon enough the system will get dirty itself and then no games will work. Good luck!
Midwest USA

Epro
Established Member
I picked up a flat tube 27" JVC CRT for $10. N64 looks waaaaay better on that than my LCD TV.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
People can't get rid of these old CRTs fast enough. If you pay for one, you almost got a raw deal! If they didn't take up so much room I'd be stocking up!

Sweet score! I agree with everybody, N64 looks its best on CRT for sure!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

LivingGhandi
Member Avatar
Yup! I got 2 from the same person in a local ad. She was happy to see them go, and I was more than happy to take them!
Midwest USA

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 06:40 PM
Yeah seriously but for me is anything under GameCube. GameCube games that support 480p look nice on hdtvs. 480i is a mixed bag. Wii games pop in 480p for the most part.

I can't stand how the Gamecube/Wii era consoles look on an HDTV - even a small one. They're the last console generations to have a jump up in quality if used on CRTs.
My CRT thread:

Kobeskillz
Established Member
andykara2003
Aug 8 2014, 02:50 AM
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 06:40 PM

I can't stand how the Gamecube/Wii era consoles look on an HDTV - even a small one. They're the last console generations to have a jump up in quality if used on CRTs.
Yeah it depends really. I was playing kirby return to dream land yesterday on my HDTV and that game looks just gorgeous. Other games do look better on an old tv maybe ones that sacrifice clarity for detail and end up looking a blurry jaggie mess.

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
True, there are games that look better than others. The mario galaxy games look pretty good on HDTVs as well - they look really stunning on a good CRT tho.
My CRT thread:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The ultimate CRT's are the later flat screen ones that support resolutions up to 1080i. My neighbor has one and even his Xbox 360 games look good on it.

It's something like the TV in this video although I don't believe it's this same exact model.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
So I cleaned my games with old reliable alcohol and got them working again and tested more games out.

Rare games like conked and jet force are blurry. Really blurry. Jet force is really bad.

Other games and especially expansion pack games care much much better. Battle for naboo looked great and so did mario 64.

I also fired up my new and that baby looks great and loved playing mario and contra without the HDTV lag.
Edited by Kobeskillz, Aug 8 2014, 07:31 PM.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Honestly, if you sit a good enough distance away from the TV, even a 40" flatscreen looks fine for N64 games.

Everything is still really playable. It's just bad when you go like 3 inches away and realize that Banjo and Kazooie are nothing more than a blob of scaled pixels.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Grimakis
Aug 8 2014, 08:52 PM
Honestly, if you sit a good enough distance away from the TV, even a 40" flatscreen looks fine for N64 games.

Everything is still really playable. It's just bad when you go like 3 inches away and realize that Banjo and Kazooie are nothing more than a blob of scaled pixels.
Haha that's true I was up close to the tv pressing the menu buttons and saw the huge square pixels and was shocked. It's been so long since I've used a standard crt tv.

I'm telling you though something about rare games that look really blurry now. Anyone else notice this now?

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
kartmaster
Aug 7 2014, 08:20 PM
People can't get rid of these old CRTs fast enough. If you pay for one, you almost got a raw deal! If they didn't take up so much room I'd be stocking up!

Sweet score! I agree with everybody, N64 looks its best on CRT for sure!

Yep. I just had a retro games event at my place. We counted 13 tvs set up in my 2 bedroom apartment! Other than 1 I borrowed from my neighbour, all the others are mine :o I only paid for the 40" LED and one 51cm CRT when they were still the cheapest way to watch tellie. The others are freecycle/given/found on footpath! And yes, if I had a house with a nice big shed, you know what the back wall would be lined with :D

1080 looks very, very sweet on my 68cm TV 8)

Here's the 'kitchen arcade' section of my party. 4 tvs just there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwT3E9SmEU
Edited by danny_galaga, Aug 10 2014, 01:19 AM.

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hi guys, I did a slightly(!) obsessive bit of research into the best CRTs for the N64 specifically - the conclusion is in the last post:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7412752/1/#new

The best easy to find CRT is probably a 25" or less 4:3 Sony trinitron, pre FST (curved tube), 50Hz. Anything that can display HD resolution (even EDTVs) will linedouble the image which is bad for the N64. 100Hz TV's introduce unwanted artefacts. It's ideal get one with low usage as CRT's look dim and blurred after a lot of use. Large TV's amplify the negative aspects of the N64's image and the flat screen models usually have geometry issues.

Grimakis makes a really good point - sitting a good distance from the TV makes the picture more acceptable no matter what TV you're using :)

Also, if you can find a TV that'll accept RGB scart, it's really worth doing an RGB mod - preferably using a THS7314 amp chip. RGB is quite a step up from s-video.
Edited by andyk2003, Aug 10 2014, 03:19 PM.
My CRT thread:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM
I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Grizzmeister
Aug 10 2014, 07:44 PM
Kobeskillz

I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
thank you!

I read the specs before I bought.

I know a lot of people here think is funny I paid for it but it was in good quilatiy (almost new) and from what I read it's perfect for retro gaming.

It's a sony and it has really good side speakers.

It's heavy as hell though!!!

I played a lot this weekend and my eyes actually got used to the picture again and it looked normal.

Its just that years of seeing HDTVS really mess with you after going back.

My NES/SNES games especially look good on it. Awww how I missed scanlines. lol.

LivingGhandi
Member Avatar
Kobeskillz
Aug 11 2014, 10:05 AM
Grizzmeister
Aug 10 2014, 07:44 PM
Kobeskillz

It's heavy as hell though!!!
Lol, no joke I had a 32" one for a few years. Moving that thing up stairs LITERALLY took 3 grown men. Hahaha.. I don't miss it. Maybe I will get a smaller one someday.
Midwest USA

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Yeah I had a 32 inch Panasonic Tau that died on me back in 2010 and it took three of us to get it out of the house. I cried when it stopped working because it had the best picture I'd ever seen on a CRT TV. ;_;

I remember when I first got it all my hardcore gaming friends were so jealous. Mario Kart 64 4-player split screen was glorious on that set. My little 20 inch Toshiba simply can't compete.

Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Grizzmeister
Aug 11 2014, 10:35 AM
Yeah I had a 32 inch Panasonic Tau that died on me back in 2010 and it took three of us to get it out of the house. I cried when it stopped working because it had the best picture I'd ever seen on a CRT TV. ;_;

I remember when I first got it all my hardcore gaming friends were so jealous. Mario Kart 64 4-player split screen was glorious on that set. My little 20 inch Toshiba simply can't compete.
Yeah a few years back my stupid stupid idiot brother sold most of my N64/Super games.

Not all but the best ones. Long story and it's hard to even type but since then I kinda changed my mind on re buying them.

So Anything that I have on the Wii Virtual Console i'm not rebuying. Screw it.

Anything not on the VC i'm buying.

Battletanks
Goldeneye
Turok 2
Rogue Squadrin

Stuff like that

Perfect dark and Banjo I have on the 360

I own Conker, Jet force, BAttle for naboo. He didn't sell those or they didn't want to buy them.

Ugh it's a long process but slowly. I got the TV now. Now gotta slowly buy games here and there, controllers, rumble, save pack.

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

This should be a great TV - the smaller size will pretty much negate the need for RGB over s-video as well :)
My CRT thread:

Kobeskillz
Established Member
andykara2003
Aug 11 2014, 01:12 PM
Kobeskillz

This should be a great TV - the smaller size will pretty much negate the need for RGB over s-video as well :)
Cool i'm glad it's a good TV. I mean I looked it up online but wasn't sure if it was a good tv or not. It looks good so far and it's in great condition.

Can't wait until I have a garage to put the tv out there and let that be my zone.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kobeskillz

Ok so update a month later.

I got a bunch of games like I said I would.

Also while Jet Force is blurry I also contribute it to the lousy S video cable I have that also has composite. Its a universal one.

I will get my monster S video tomorrow hopefully and start doing comparisons. I expect it to look better. Also my eyes are more used to the resolution after a week of playing some games.

70% of it is getting your eyes used to the resolution and framerate IMO. After that the games start to look good again even on an HDTV.

Not great but at least not horrid after doing HD gaming for years then all of a sudden seeing your N64 and not being as you remember. lol.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Recently I picked up this 13 inch Sony Wega (model number KV-13FS100) that a guy on Craig's List gave me for free. :whistle:

Posted Image

He still had the original box and the remote which made the 40 mile drive out to get it completely worthwhile.

Immediately when I got home I connected my Wii to it with component cables and started playing Samurai Shodown II so I could calibrate the picture. It looks great although it's a little washed out in the photo because of the flash from my camera.

I'm probably going to put it back in the box after a few days and store it in my in-law's basement as a spare in case my 20" Toshiba CRT ever fails.

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Wow. I didn't know they made Trinitrons in that size. I bet that thing looks magnificent in person.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Awesome find that Grizzmeister.

I still need to get myself a CRT. >_>
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: