Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Just pulled the trigger on a CRT!!
Topic Started: Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM (2,409 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Awesome deal Grizzmeister. Ive been holding out hoping to find a trinitron in a thrift store for years now but no luck. They do look great but the prices are crazy. People really will pay top dollar for picture that's just slightly better, and for 64-bit games no less.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Dec 4 2016, 06:09 PM
Wow. I didn't know they made Trinitrons in that size. I bet that thing looks magnificent in person.
I was shocked to find out commercial grade Trinitrons came this small too. It blows my mind that it even has component inputs.

For the time being I'm going to stick with my 20 inch Toshiba flat-tube CRT since it's slightly larger and also has a really crisp picture with standard definition consoles. Here's a pic of it.

Posted Image
Edited by Grizzmeister, Apr 28 2018, 07:26 AM.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
CRTs are amazing.

I have something like 8 (big ones too) and happy to offload a few...

It's worth training your body and getting strong...
Just so you can move CRTs...

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm considering picking up a 37 inch Sony Trinitron that somebody is giving away on Craig's List. The darn thing weighs over 200 pounds so I'm really going to go over it thoroughly before making the commitment. The owner is allowing me to test video game consoles on it before I have to carry it off. Here's what I know about the set so far.

Model # KD-36FS130

Manufactured: October 2005

Does anybody here have any experience with this model CRT TV? If so please share your thoughts as I'd like to know as much as possible before I pull the trigger.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I actually picked up a 21" Trinitron model KV-21FX30B about 2 weeks ago, which is like the model before that one (and the last before they went with FD) and assuming they don't get worse with sequential models, I'd say go for it. Best picture I ever got out of my N64... and i got it for free. :dance:

Cabanon
Elite
i put my 27 inch toshiba for 5$ on local ad and no reply. i guess it's time to either smash it to death or just call the garbage truck. it's taking well needed place in my basement. I kept it for Duck Hunt only but I didnt play this game in over 10 years. My HDTV setup is doing a very good job with retro games and there's no point to keep this CRT.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Cabanon
Apr 29 2018, 05:11 PM
i put my 27 inch toshiba for 5$ on local ad and no reply. i guess it's time to either smash it to death or just call the garbage truck. it's taking well needed place in my basement. I kept it for Duck Hunt only but I didnt play this game in over 10 years. My HDTV setup is doing a very good job with retro games and there's no point to keep this CRT.
Most people don't really buy crts unless it's some rare model. Maybe for you put it on the curb somebody will take it for free. That's how I got 1 of my crts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
@Grizz I have the 32" version of that same TV. It was a bear to move! I can't imagine the 37"!

The picture on mine is a little blurry in the corners, really only noticeable on text and things like that. I've found the picture mode presets have a lot to do with it. I keep mine on "Pro". It has a lower saturation and brightness, but it's definitely the sharpest picture, especially on the edges.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Apr 29 2018, 06:01 PM
@Grizz I have the 32" version of that same TV. It was a bear to move! I can't imagine the 37"!
I'm wondering if it's worth a couple more herniated discs in my back just to have a CRT that big. X_D

The two smaller CRT's that I own now have really good picture quality and they're much easier to move around so I'll probably just stick with what I've got. Here's a picture of my Toshibas that are both still going strong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: