Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Just pulled the trigger on a CRT!!
Topic Started: Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM (2,061 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The ultimate CRT's are the later flat screen ones that support resolutions up to 1080i. My neighbor has one and even his Xbox 360 games look good on it.

It's something like the TV in this video although I don't believe it's this same exact model.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM
I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
I read the specs and that really is a fantastic CRT for retro consoles like the N64.

My standard definition set is a 20 inch Toshiba 20AF44 CRT that even includes component inputs in the rear. Since the N64 doesn't support component I have it hooked up via S-Video.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Yeah I had a 32 inch Panasonic Tau that died on me back in 2010 and it took three of us to get it out of the house. I cried when it stopped working because it had the best picture I'd ever seen on a CRT TV. ;_;

I remember when I first got it all my hardcore gaming friends were so jealous. Mario Kart 64 4-player split screen was glorious on that set. My little 20 inch Toshiba simply can't compete.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Recently I picked up this 13 inch Sony Wega (model number KV-13FS100) that a guy on Craig's List gave me for free. :whistle:

Posted Image

He still had the original box and the remote which made the 40 mile drive out to get it completely worthwhile.

Immediately when I got home I connected my Wii to it with component cables and started playing Samurai Shodown II so I could calibrate the picture. It looks great although it's a little washed out in the photo because of the flash from my camera.

I'm probably going to put it back in the box after a few days and store it in my in-law's basement as a spare in case my 20" Toshiba CRT ever fails.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Dec 4 2016, 06:09 PM
Wow. I didn't know they made Trinitrons in that size. I bet that thing looks magnificent in person.
I was shocked to find out commercial grade Trinitrons came this small too. It blows my mind that it even has component inputs.

For the time being I'm going to stick with my 20 inch Toshiba flat-tube CRT since it's slightly larger and also has a really crisp picture with standard definition consoles. Here's a pic of it.

Posted Image
Edited by Grizzmeister, Apr 28 2018, 07:26 AM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm considering picking up a 37 inch Sony Trinitron that somebody is giving away on Craig's List. The darn thing weighs over 200 pounds so I'm really going to go over it thoroughly before making the commitment. The owner is allowing me to test video game consoles on it before I have to carry it off. Here's what I know about the set so far.

Model # KD-36FS130

Manufactured: October 2005

Does anybody here have any experience with this model CRT TV? If so please share your thoughts as I'd like to know as much as possible before I pull the trigger.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Apr 29 2018, 06:01 PM
@Grizz I have the 32" version of that same TV. It was a bear to move! I can't imagine the 37"!
I'm wondering if it's worth a couple more herniated discs in my back just to have a CRT that big. X_D

The two smaller CRT's that I own now have really good picture quality and they're much easier to move around so I'll probably just stick with what I've got. Here's a picture of my Toshibas that are both still going strong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply