Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Just pulled the trigger on a CRT!!
Topic Started: Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM (1,672 Views)
andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 06:40 PM
Yeah seriously but for me is anything under GameCube. GameCube games that support 480p look nice on hdtvs. 480i is a mixed bag. Wii games pop in 480p for the most part.

N64 and under forget about it. You need a crt!!!
I can't stand how the Gamecube/Wii era consoles look on an HDTV - even a small one. They're the last console generations to have a jump up in quality if used on CRTs.
My CRT thread:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
True, there are games that look better than others. The mario galaxy games look pretty good on HDTVs as well - they look really stunning on a good CRT tho.
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hi guys, I did a slightly(!) obsessive bit of research into the best CRTs for the N64 specifically - the conclusion is in the last post:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7412752/1/#new

The best easy to find CRT is probably a 25" or less 4:3 Sony trinitron, pre FST (curved tube), 50Hz. Anything that can display HD resolution (even EDTVs) will linedouble the image which is bad for the N64. 100Hz TV's introduce unwanted artefacts. It's ideal get one with low usage as CRT's look dim and blurred after a lot of use. Large TV's amplify the negative aspects of the N64's image and the flat screen models usually have geometry issues.

Grimakis makes a really good point - sitting a good distance from the TV makes the picture more acceptable no matter what TV you're using :)

Also, if you can find a TV that'll accept RGB scart, it's really worth doing an RGB mod - preferably using a THS7314 amp chip. RGB is quite a step up from s-video.
Edited by andyk2003, Aug 10 2014, 03:19 PM.
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Aug 6 2014, 01:29 PM
Funny because you spend so much time getting the latest and greatest and after a while I go back and get something old. lol.

I got a Sony Wega 20" KV-20FV12 tv with 2 composite and one S Video!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Perfect for retro gaming. :yeah:
This should be a great TV - the smaller size will pretty much negate the need for RGB over s-video as well :)
My CRT thread:

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply