Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DexDrive and Mac OSX; It works.
Topic Started: Aug 8 2014, 07:18 AM (542 Views)
Grimakis
Member Avatar
So I don't know how many of you are familiar with WINE. Basically it is a program you can install through terminal that allows you to run Windows programs in OSX. I am assuming it is something like an emulator, except without the need for a separate Windows virtual environment.

There is a very good guide for installing WINE on the website below.

http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

It is the guide I used to install it. Currently I am able to launch DexPlorer on my Mac and it does work. There is an additional trick to getting it to recognize the serial port however. After searching the internet for a while, I worked out a solution.

After Installing Wine:

Step 1.

Without the Serial To USB adapter plugged in;
Code:

cd /dev

Code:

ls

Step 2.

Now plug in the adapter;
Code:

ls

Step 3

If your Serial To USB adapter is working, there should be more device files now. Compare the outputs from each "ls" to find the new ones.

Mine were:
tty.KeySerial1
tty.USA19Hfa13P1.1
cu.KeySerial1
cu.USA19Hfa13P1.1

For me the one worked was "tty.KeySerial1". Note that every adapter will yield a different device file. The adapter I have is a Keyspan Serial to USB adapter.

Step 4

Now we must make a symbolic link between the Serial port in OSX and the COM4 port the DexDrive is looking for.

Code:

ln -s /dev/tty.KeySerial1 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com4

This created a file in the wine directory, which acts as a link between the COM4 ID in wine and how OSX(Unix) identifies a serial port. Note that you will replace "tty.KeySerial1" with whatever your device ID is.

DexPlorer should now be able to recognize your DexDrive.

Posted Image
Edited by Grimakis, Aug 8 2014, 07:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
That's awesome! I would have never imagined. :applause:
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply