Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Official Memory Card Space?
Topic Started: Aug 28 2014, 08:32 AM (703 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Hi guys I just got an official card from ebay and wanted to know how much space they held and if one should be enough?

I don't have much games that use it. Let me see at the top of my head.

Mortal Kombat 4
Blitz 2000
South Park
World Championship Racing
Mission Impossible? Not sure about that one.

Of those 3 I fear Blitz might be the worse just by knowing how sports games are. Also I eventually plan to get more games.

I hear games like Shadow man and Turok 2 take up almost the whole pack which sucks because those are two games i'm picking up.

Is this true?
Edited by Kobeskillz, Aug 28 2014, 09:37 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kobeskillz
Established Member
NVM guess I searched and found a great topic here that list all the games and file sizes.

Blitz 2000 takes up the whole :cussfit: card!!!! Ugh hopefully I can save my settings and it only takes up a page or something.

Shadowman 73 and Turok 90!!! Ugh.

sanni
Member Avatar
Well if you feel like it you can link to that topic here so that people with a similar question in the future will find the answer.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Kobeskillz
Aug 28 2014, 10:29 AM
NVM guess I searched and found a great topic here that list all the games and file sizes.

Blitz 2000 takes up the whole :cussfit: card!!!! Ugh hopefully I can save my settings and it only takes up a page or something.

Welcome to the 90's. Haha. ;)
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7041206/1/#new

This list is great!
kartmaster
Aug 28 2014, 12:29 PM
Kobeskillz
Aug 28 2014, 10:29 AM

Welcome to the 90's. Haha. ;)
Nintendo pulled the same stuff with the Gamecube. Remember only the 59 cards were available?

One game at launch even used more blocks than what was available! Too bad Nintendo never released a bigger Memory pack for the n64.
Edited by Kobeskillz, Aug 28 2014, 12:32 PM.

swaaye
Established Member
Yeah the old memory paks on consoles were a pain. Flash memory was expensive back then though so it's just how it was.

I have an aftermarket Nyko Hyper Pak Plus that's a combo rumble + memory pak. It has 4 selectable memory banks. So it's like 4 Nintendo controller paks in one. Very handy and it has never caused me trouble.
Edited by swaaye, Aug 30 2014, 10:43 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Aug 30 2014, 10:41 PM
Yeah the old memory paks on consoles were a pain. Flash memory was expensive back then though so it's just how it was.

I have an aftermarket Nyko Hyper Pak Plus that's a combo rumble + memory pak. It has 4 selectable memory banks. So it's like 4 Nintendo controller paks in one. Very handy and it has never caused me trouble.
Yeah but didn't the psone have larger cards and the ps2 were 8mb for the same price as the 59 cube cards!!! Me thinks nintendo being cheap.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Memory paks (or controller paks, as they are also called) are a bit of a sore subject amongst N64 gamers. When they work great, they are fine, but they have a couple of problems;

1) Some games take up much more space than (you'd imagine) they really need. I mean, Turok 2 uses about 72 pages, when (a) you can only save at checkpoints (which means the programmers could be a lot more selective about what data they needed to save), and (b) there isn't too much data that could possibly need saving anyway, just a few values and flags about your character's weapons and attributes, some enemy positions, etc. It's not like the game world contains tons of variables that have to be taken care of.

2) The official memory paks (Nintendo) only have 123 pages in them. You can buy larger memory paks from other companies, but they only have multiple banks of 123 pages in them, not all of the pages available in one bank. WHat this means is, say you have a two bank memory pak, and bank one has 15 pages free, and bank two has 10 pages free, then if you need to save a game that takes up 20 pages, then you can't, as even though that memory pak has 25 pages free, they are spread over two banks, and the N64 can only save to one bank (you choose which bank to save to using a switch on the memory pak, if (of course) the memory pak has more than one bank of memory.

3) Some third party (i.e. not Nintendo made) memory paks are unreliable and can lose your game saves, which is something you obviously want to avoid. Some people have used third party paks with no problems, others have had real problems and will only use Nintendo made paks as a result. Nintendo's paks are supposed to be as reliable as you could reasonably hope for (though they are only one bank (123 pages) large, and are more expensive than other brands, though nowadays you'll have to buy them used, so they might be more expensive than the others), but I don't know which, if any, of the third party paks are known to be unreliable.

Some N64 memory paks use a battery to store their saves, others use EPROM/Flash RAM. I think all of Nintendos use batteries. Of course they lose the data when you change the battery, but the batteries do last for years. Has anyone ever used a pak that can save the data for the short time it takes to change a battery? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Kerr Avon
Sep 2 2014, 08:16 AM
Memory paks (or controller paks, as they are also called) are a bit of a sore subject amongst N64 gamers. When they work great, they are fine, but they have a couple of problems;

1) Some games take up much more space than (you'd imagine) they really need. I mean, Turok 2 uses about 72 pages, when (a) you can only save at checkpoints (which means the programmers could be a lot more selective about what data they needed to save), and (b) there isn't too much data that could possibly need saving anyway, just a few values and flags about your character's weapons and attributes, some enemy positions, etc. It's not like the game world contains tons of variables that have to be taken care of.

2) The official memory paks (Nintendo) only have 123 pages in them. You can buy larger memory paks from other companies, but they only have multiple banks of 123 pages in them, not all of the pages available in one bank. WHat this means is, say you have a two bank memory pak, and bank one has 15 pages free, and bank two has 10 pages free, then if you need to save a game that takes up 20 pages, then you can't, as even though that memory pak has 25 pages free, they are spread over two banks, and the N64 can only save to one bank (you choose which bank to save to using a switch on the memory pak, if (of course) the memory pak has more than one bank of memory.

3) Some third party (i.e. not Nintendo made) memory paks are unreliable and can lose your game saves, which is something you obviously want to avoid. Some people have used third party paks with no problems, others have had real problems and will only use Nintendo made paks as a result. Nintendo's paks are supposed to be as reliable as you could reasonably hope for (though they are only one bank (123 pages) large, and are more expensive than other brands, though nowadays you'll have to buy them used, so they might be more expensive than the others), but I don't know which, if any, of the third party paks are known to be unreliable.

Some N64 memory paks use a battery to store their saves, others use EPROM/Flash RAM. I think all of Nintendos use batteries. Of course they lose the data when you change the battery, but the batteries do last for years. Has anyone ever used a pak that can save the data for the short time it takes to change a battery? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Good points. I just bought two memory packs. Nintendo. Should I change the batteries in them before I used them? just to have them fresh. I wonder if it's hard to do.

I was looking into getting a Dex but my laptop is Vista so i'm not sure if it will be compatible you know.

swaaye
Established Member
I've read about unreliable packs. But I've had the Nyko Hyper Pak Plus I have for roughly 15 years and it's been solid. Love the 4x capacity via the 4 banks, and the built in rumble pak.

I've never checked for a battery in mine. I never thought about that. I've always thought they moved away from battery-backed SRAM for the controller paks... :phear:
Edited by swaaye, Sep 3 2014, 02:00 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 3 2014, 01:33 PM
I've read about unreliable packs. But I've had the Nyko Hyper Pak Plus I have for roughly 15 years and it's been solid. Love the 4x capacity via the 4 banks, and the built in rumble pak.

I've never checked for a battery in mine. I never thought about that. Until now I thought they were using Flash memory. :phear:
Back in the day I used to have an official rumble pack and the black one with red light on it.

The official rumble pack had a much better and smoother rumble. The black one was bad.

How is the rumble in yours?

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 3 2014, 01:44 PM
The official rumble pack had a much better and smoother rumble. The black one was bad.

I haven't used an official rumble pak in eons but I'm satisfied with what mu Hyper Pak does. I'm not sure it still works flawlessly though because I think the (1) setting of the rumble may be dead... It has (1) and (2) modes for rumble strength.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 3 2014, 02:03 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 3 2014, 01:59 PM
Kobeskillz

I haven't used an official rumble pak in eons but I'm satisfied with what mu Hyper Pak does. I'm not sure it still works flawlessly though because I think the (1) setting of the rumble may be dead... It has (1) and (2) modes for rumble strength.
The only thing that sucks about the rumble packs is the weight. The added weight can be a pain at times.

Cabanon
Elite
good to see other people loving the Hyper Pack Plus. I also have it since, brand new lol. working great since day 1. also if you fear space will be an issue, I suggest you get a Dex Drive. there's a whole lot of good with this add-on.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Quote:

Good points. I just bought two memory packs. Nintendo. Should I change the batteries in them before I used them? just to have them fresh. I wonder if it's hard to do.

That's a good idea, yes.

Quote:

I was looking into getting a Dex but my laptop is Vista so i'm not sure if it will be compatible you know.

You should make a thread on this forum asking about Dex Drive compatibility. One thing though, I'm sure the Dex Drive connects to the PC's serial port, which some modern PCs (especially laptops) might lack, so ask about that too, and check to see if your laptop has one.
Edited by Kerr Avon, Sep 12 2014, 11:37 AM.

Epro
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 3 2014, 04:16 PM
swaaye
Kobeskillz

The only thing that sucks about the rumble packs is the weight. The added weight can be a pain at times.
Do you even lift?

Sorry, had to :)

I have three performance brand controller packs, I hear they're unreliable. We'll see in time :-/
Edited by Epro, Sep 12 2014, 12:20 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Epro
Sep 12 2014, 12:20 PM
Kobeskillz
Sep 3 2014, 04:16 PM
swaaye

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Do you even lift?

Sorry, had to :)

I have three performance brand controller packs, I hear they're unreliable. We'll see in time :-/
To be fair my memories of the rumble pack are from the 90's when I was much younger so maybe it's not a problem now.

Back then I remember the weight being annoying after long sessions.

I do know that black rumble with the red light sucks cause I had that one and an official one.

BostonJohnathanGB
If you are Talking about The Controller Pak (NUS-004) then it has 256 kilobits (32KB) battery backed SRAM, split into 123 pages with a limitation of 16 save files, but third party models had much more, often in the form of 4 selectable memory banks of 256kbits, The number of pages that a game occupied varied (sometimes, it used the entire card) :yeah:
"On my Business card, I am a corporate president. in my mind, i am a game developer. but in my heart i am a gamer." Satoru Iwata (2002-2015)

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply