Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Official S Video cable
Topic Started: Sep 1 2014, 12:15 AM (4,148 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
I see a few on ebay but they all say from Japan. Do they work and should I worry about fake cables? They say official.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 9 2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah the "Madcatz Ultra Gamecube S-Video Cable" puts a very obvious checkerboard over the image. I always blamed the N64 hardware thinking it was a nasty dithering pattern but it was the cable.

The Madcatz Universal cable is a lot better but there is still some checkerboard there. It's almost unnoticeable though.
Don't you own a monster cable? Why don't you use that and toss the other wires?

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 10:08 AM

Nope don't have the Monster cable.

The $16 SVideo cable I just got is pretty good though. I'm not sure if the Monster cable would be an improvement that would matter. I might buy one if they get cheap again.

I am hoping the N64 HDMI mod project comes to fruition.
http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php
Edited by swaaye, Sep 9 2014, 11:27 AM.

Cabanon
Elite
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 09:06 AM
Cabanon
Sep 9 2014, 05:18 AM
these pics looks all the same to me except it's darker on the last one.
Look at them closely. Two of them have a checkered pattern. Almost like a screen door. The darker one doesn't have it.

Don't pay attention to the brightness or color. Look more at the pattern that is evident in the crappy wires.

When you play the game it's noticeable and annoying depending on how pronounce it is.
I edited my previous post. I didnt click on the image and only check without zooming. Now I see what you're talking about.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 9 2014, 11:24 AM
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 10:08 AM

Nope don't have the Monster cable.

The $16 SVideo cable I just got is pretty good though. I'm not sure if the Monster cable would be an improvement that would matter. I might buy one if they get cheap again.

I am hoping the N64 HDMI mod project comes to fruition.
http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php
My bad I thought I saw in your post that you bought them cheap.

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah I did say that. I thought that the Madcatz Ultra cable was Monster until I looked again.

I bought that cable on eBay over a year ago. I think they were sold as Monster cables. They seemed high quality so I didn't bother to dispute it. They were fairly cheap IIRC.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 9 2014, 12:34 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 9 2014, 12:32 PM
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah I did say that. I thought that the Madcatz Ultra cable was Monster until I looked again.

I bought that cable on eBay over a year ago. I think they were sold as Monster cables. They seemed high quality so I didn't bother to dispute it. They were fairly cheap IIRC.
Ah ok that makes sense.

I heard the best quality you can get is to mod the n64 then get one of those sony PVM tvs.

Too much trouble. The S video looks great with decent cables and good CRT tv.

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 02:10 PM
I heard the best quality you can get is to mod the n64 then get one of those sony PVM tvs.

I am playing on a 50" plasma TV. I have a DVD recorder that takes S-Video and converts it to 480p HDMI. The TV doesn't have S-Video so that's an unfortunate inconvenience but whatever. I don't really want to go hunt down a quality CRT or fancy monitor.

One thing I've seen is plasma TVs work better than LCD TVs for gaming of almost any sort thanks to their much faster response time. They don't have the motion blur problem. Motion blur on a retro game upscale looks terrible. N64 certainly doesn't need any extra blur! 8)
Edited by swaaye, Sep 9 2014, 03:34 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 9 2014, 03:24 PM
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 02:10 PM

I am playing on a 50" plasma TV. I have a DVD recorder that takes S-Video and converts it to 480p HDMI. The TV doesn't have S-Video so that's an unfortunate inconvenience but whatever. I don't really want to go hunt down a quality CRT or fancy monitor.

One thing I've seen is plasma TVs work better than LCD TVs for gaming of almost any sort thanks to their much faster response time. They don't have the motion blur problem. Motion blur on a retro game upscale looks terrible. N64 certainly doesn't need any extra blur! 8)
Yeah i've heard the same about plasma.

I got my CRT at craiglist and while it was easy to find a quality one listed near by the hard part was lugging that 70 pound beast. Ugh.

Even a 20 inch tv is heavy as heck.

Then the storage problem if you live in a small place.

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 9 2014, 04:04 PM
I got my CRT at craiglist and while it was easy to find a quality one listed near by the hard part was lugging that 70 pound beast. Ugh.

Even a 20 inch tv is heavy as heck.

Then the storage problem if you live in a small place.

Yeah I've had a few CRT TVs. I had a huge 34" years ago before going HD and it weighed over 150 lbs. Also scored a free 25" that I almost kept for the N64 but it wasn't really better than using the Plasma and even 25" is like you say very big and heavy.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 10 2014, 11:33 AM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 3 2014, 01:29 PM
I got a Monster Svideo cable for N64 a year ago for pretty cheap. It still has the visible pattern. I'm not convinced that pattern isn't something coming from N64's encoder. For that matter the N64 has an obvious color dither and its texture filtering is flawed and that too is a visible pattern.
So I was playing Shadow Man yesterday and ran heavily into this problem you mentioned.

I think you are absolutely right and it's hardware related.

Mix the right tv (good CRT) and good wires and the clarity and sharpness magnifies this issue. Add in hi rez mode and it's more pronounced as well.

I still rather play in hi rez mode since in low rez games are really blurry especially in good CRT tvs vs older ones.

I tried Rogue Squadron and it it hardly had this problem so does it differ from game to game?

Starwars racer had a little bit of it.

swaaye
Established Member
Kobeskillz
Sep 10 2014, 12:52 PM

Mix the right tv (good CRT) and good wires and the clarity and sharpness magnifies this issue. Add in hi rez mode and it's more pronounced as well.

I still rather play in hi rez mode since in low rez games are really blurry especially in good CRT tvs vs older ones.

I tried Rogue Squadron and it it hardly had this problem so does it differ from game to game?

Yeah some of it is color dithering and some of it is the 3-sample bilinear texture filtering. The texture filtering in particular can make for weirdly jagged/swimmy textures at times. Maybe some of it is also a cheap video encoding pipeline for TV.

High rez modes make everything sharper so you can see the little problems better.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 10 2014, 02:26 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 10 2014, 02:10 PM
Kobeskillz
Sep 10 2014, 12:52 PM

Yeah some of it is color dithering and some of it is the 3-sample bilinear texture filtering. The texture filtering in particular can make for weirdly jagged/swimmy textures at times. Maybe some of it is also a cheap video encoding pipeline for TV.

High rez modes make everything sharper so you can see the little problems better.
Yeah do you have shadowman? This game is really bad with this problem and I don't remember this back in the day.

Of course back in the day I didn't have a nice CRT tv and monster S video cable. I used composite which set to high res made the picture sharper but still blurry enough to mask these issues.

swaaye
Established Member
Looked at Shadowman. The green/brown/yellow color of the world combined with low rez and N64's grainy filtering sure give it a, well, mushy look. And that mono audio doesn't help the experience.

This game has Dreamcast and Windows versions too. One of those would probably be the better way to go.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 10 2014, 11:51 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 10 2014, 11:49 PM
Looked at Shadowman. The green/brown/yellow color of the world combined with low rez and N64's grainy filtering sure give it a, well, mushy look. And that mono audio doesn't help the experience.

This game has Dreamcast and Windows versions too. One of those would probably be the better way to go.
The audio is mono not Stereo?

I always thought the voices were really low quality even when it was released.

I would love to play the Dreamcast version but alas I sold my Dreamcast back in 2001. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. :facepalm:

I remember loving soul reaver and would kill to play that and shadowman on the DC Again.

swaaye
Established Member
N64 games usually have low quality audio unless the game uses sequenced music to good effect. Games that try to use lots of recorded music and voice tend to sound monaural and low bitrate like a telephone or B&W movie. The cartridge capacity conundrum.

Call around and you might find a Dreamcast fairly cheap at a used game shop. Sometimes these places have a stack of them.
Edited by swaaye, Sep 11 2014, 12:20 PM.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
swaaye
Sep 11 2014, 12:17 PM
N64 games usually have low quality audio unless the game uses sequenced music to good effect. Games that try to use lots of recorded music and voice tend to sound monaural and low bitrate like a telephone or B&W movie. The cartridge capacity conundrum.

Call around and you might find a Dreamcast fairly cheap at a used game shop. Sometimes these places have a stack of them.
I was looking around ebay and they aren't too bad.

Though at the moment i'm obsessed with buying all my N64 games back and then some so I might leave that for later.

I saw a shadowman comparison on youtube and it was funny.

I never realized so many sections of the game were missing music that was in the DC/PS/PC version.

Though to be fair the game was really eerie and creepy with no music just you in the dead side so it worked.

What's the best sounding N64 game? Jet Force Jemini?

Maybe some devs didn't have music to keep the framerate up?

I remember in WWF No Mercy if you turn off the music the game runs a bit better in 4 players mode.

swaaye
Established Member
I think some of the best music is in the Nintendo and Rare games. You need a talented MIDI composer who can do amazing stuff with limited resources. Certainly both CPU and storage are concerns.

I agree with the low quality audio creating unique atmosphere. I felt that way about Shadows of the Empire. But of course on the other hand quality music is another form of atmosphere.

suretie
Member Avatar
Spook cables for n64 are the best for pal , no brightness issues or gridding,. Well made Nicole not gold , no composite just s-video which is about twice the diameter of the audio. These are made for pal n64 not GameCube. Pal GameCube does not output s-video . Iv tried them all except official . I'll get some pics up soon, so you can identify them on eBay.
Farewell happy fields were joy for ever dwells hail horrors hail ( John Milton, Paradise Lost)

Cabanon
Elite
Nicole ???? you mean Nickel, right ?

suretie
Member Avatar
Yeah, I don't no any Nicole's not any well built ones any way. My tablet is not very good sorry for any mistakes.
Edited by suretie, Feb 28 2015, 05:50 AM.
Farewell happy fields were joy for ever dwells hail horrors hail ( John Milton, Paradise Lost)

suretie
Member Avatar
I'll get some pics on soon.
Edited by suretie, Feb 28 2015, 05:48 AM.

CZroe
Before my brother figured out how to disassemble the multi-out connector and re-arrange the pins to make our own S-video cable, I bought an brand-new unlicensed one from a local retro gaming store. It looked horrible with some kind of interference pattern. I exchanged it twice and finally gave up on that.

The home-built one is great :)

suretie
Member Avatar
Yeah I tried that it didn't work for me. There was someone building custom ones on here. Don't know if they still are, or know some one who does. I'd put a picture up of my Spook cables up but this section don't allow it. I used to have a monster cable that didn't work on Pal proper either, I used that on my NTSC 64, they where made for the GameCube ( NTSC). I don't know where UK suppliers get cables from , because most say "for gamecube" the UK GameCube supports RGB not S-video.
Edited by suretie, Mar 2 2015, 01:58 AM.

suretie
Member Avatar
Just bought a home made one of ebay , looks impressive :-) :-) :-)
Edited by suretie, Mar 5 2015, 02:34 PM.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Just ordered the official one from Japan. Will comment upon arrival.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Hi,

I received my official Nintendo S-Video cable, and I noticed it was different that most I have seen. It appears as if there are two kinds of official S-Video cables from Nintendo. The one I was familiar with, is simply three wires leaving the AV out plug. The S-Video cable and the stereo audio lines.

The one I received in the mail, is one rather thick cable coming from the AV out. The cable eventually comes to a small plastic "box", where the Stereo audio, and S-Video come out as three cables.

Something to note is that the S-Video cable is much thicker than the RCA Audio cables. I wonder if this one has more shielding and/or insulation.

Is anyone else familiar with these two types of S-Video cable?

suretie
Member Avatar
The only official one's I'v seen are the one's you first described. Are you using it with a pal system ? If so how's the picture? I received my pal custom made one, which has two ferrite blocks and gold connections, its very well made wuth what seem quality components. Its shorter than the Spook S-video cables that I own, with no noticeable difference in picture quality. I think gold connections have a certain amount of placebo attached, as the official cable's are deemed the best and don't use gold connectors. Plus they are a little heavy if being used with a scart adapter. I've put them away for future use.
Edited by suretie, Mar 26 2015, 07:25 AM.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
I am using them on an NTSC system and the quality is quite good. I have them running through an XRGB mini, and the colors are better than composite, and the picture is rather sharp.

Note, I got these cables from a japanese eBayer. He noted that they were "old style". Perhaps these were originally meant for the Super Nintendo?

Regards,
george

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Here's a quick photo, so you can see what I mean.

=THANS=
Hi all my first post

I have bought quite a few different S-Video cables for my PAL N64 all have had color issues (to bright) till my newest one it came 06/07/15 from Sweden got it off Ebay color is correct good quality cables looks great on my 32inch LCD heres the link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NINTENDO-64-S-VIDEO-HIGH-QUALITY-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-PAL-N64-SVIDEO-2M-NEW-/201383582235

he also makes NTSC ones but I am yet to try them hope this helps

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: