Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Official S Video cable
Topic Started: Sep 1 2014, 12:15 AM (3,429 Views)
gaavoid
Member Avatar
Hello!
I've recently bought an official S-Video cable and I'm still getting a slight checkerboard effect on parts of the image/textures. Is this normal or is there something still not right?

Off screen photos in spoilers:
Cable:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Prior to this I was using a cable which I bought off eBay that was advertised as being the next best thing to an official cable and would produce no checkerboard effect. While it was far better than the one I had been using before (which had the effect over the whole picture) it still had the effect on certain textures and colours, much like the official one but ever so slightly more pronounced. The eBay feedback for this cable was overwhelmingly positive and I assumed I had just received a dodgy one, but since I'm still getting it with an official one I'm now wondering if it's my N64. (I've tested on multiple (LCD/LED) TV sets but don't have another N64 to try on.)
The motherboard revision of my Japanese N64 is version 5 which I've read is the only revision to include the AVDC-NUS chip. Thinking it might be a problem with this particular motherboard revision, I've ordered a clear blue Japanese console (the one with the clear white bottom); which will hopefully be something other than revision 5. Will have it in a few days.

It could be that the effect to this degree is normal and I've just bought another N64 for no reason before asking you guys for your advice. To me it doesn't seem normal, but I have very little experience with S-Video.
Overall it's not bad and is way ahead of composite in clarity, but is very obvious and distracting in F-Zero X in particular and noticeable on particle effects like smoke and dust in racing games (Mickey's Speedway USA) or when Mario jumps and lands in Super Mario 64 (which is too difficult to time and take a photo of).

Thoughts? Help? :)

EDIT: Received my clear blue N64. Motherboard revision 8-1. Image is exactly the same.

So this is just how the N64 looks on modern TVs with S-Video? Little bit disappointed. Might look into an RGB mod or maybe just getting a 20 inch CRT.

Seems like composite just hides the checkerboard/triangular/netting effect by the compressed image blur associated with it. Some high quality S-Video cables are better at hiding it but it's still there underneath.

I really thought it would be gone entirely with the official cable.
Edited by gaavoid, Sep 17 2016, 03:49 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply