Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vigilante 8; October Game of the Month
Topic Started: Oct 1 2014, 11:05 AM (694 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Vigilante 8 won by a small margin. Congrats to those who nominated it. I personally never played it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Sweeeeet! Gosh, I always loved the V8 games. Not as some sort of Twisted Metal killer but as an alternate car combat experience. The physics were a little on the floaty side but the game plays very well regardless. The characters were fun with a lot of personality and the cars were diverse with a 70s flavor to them. If you like car combat games then this is the way to go since Twisted Metal didn't get a release on the N64 for obvious reasons. By the way, I do have to admit that I've never played the N64 versions, only the PS1 and Dreamcast ones.

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Aw. Castlevania was so close to winning this month...

...but how could I be upset when it loses to Vigilante 8? I love how you got different missions depending on which character you played as and which side they were on (Vigilantes, Coyotes or neutral/Drifter). Every character is interesting with my favorite being Boogie ("WHOO! Let's move to the groove!"). However, I play my best when using Slick Clyde. That's good seeing as I prefer the Vigilante missions anyway. :)

It's not all about completing missions, though. There's still a mode for those who want to just go into a level and destroy cars with an armed disco ball. :lol: One thing I noticed when I first bought this game was that it controlled a lot better than Twisted Metal 2. Hey I love me some Twisted Metal, but even this biggest (playable) vehicles were so slippery it might as well have been called "Twisted Metal On Ice". In V8, I can actually stop turning when I want to.

Overall, Vigilante 8 remains one of my favorite games in my collection. I hear that V8: Second Offense is even better, but I still think the original holds up. I highly recommend it to anyone that has the faintest interest in car combat games. Oh and I suggest buying the N64 version since it comes with an exclusive unlockable arena. ;)
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Glad this won, a good reason to go back and play it again. Had loads of fun playing this on multi player.

Has anyone played the game that came before this. Interstate 76?
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

starwolf
Established Member
This game was beyond awesome! Although it's the alternative to twisted metal. V8 has a lot to offer on the n64 console. For starters the graphics, not only the regular in game graphics are good, but with an expansion pack it looks even better. The 4 player multiplayer modes make it all the more merrier, of worth having :). As I recall this game also had bots at a good number, it did depend on how many people were playing, but the game did make it feel like more than 4 players that's for sure. The music was awesome, there's one particular I always listen to, however I forgot what track it was or what the name of it was. However, in conclusion, it's a great game, I played with and without friends. That's how fun the game was. It's a special type of game that goes on list of these titles.

Top 4 player multiplayer games with with bots and without:
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Smash Brothers
Mario Kart
F Zero X
Battletanx
Battletanx Global Assault
Extreme G
XG2
Forsaken 64
Duke Nukem 64
Quake 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
WCW VS NWO
WCW/NWO Revenge
Mario Party Series
GoldenEye
Vigilante 8

I'm sure there is a lot more, these are just only the really good ones I think off the top of my head. :)

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
This was a game I had reserved at my EB games store I saw some pics and bits n N64 magazine and really enjoyed Twisted Metal series. This looked like a good substitute plus 4 player match possibilities were great. However it was not as perfect as I wanted it to be although fun. My PAL copy had the occasional freeze up and crashed quite a bit. So i used that great but crazy 10 day return offer and just got my money back.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply