Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Red Dwarf
Topic Started: Oct 15 2014, 01:50 AM (583 Views)
buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Any of you on here fans. I love this show and have grown up with it from a very young age. New series (11) coming out in 2015/16
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I used to be a big fan, until season 7. Seasons 1 and 2 were great, and 3 to 6 were fantastic, but when season 7 came along (after a huge gap from season 6) one of the two writers (Rob Grant and Doug Naylor invented Red Warf, and wrote the episodes) had left (season 7 was written by Doug Naylor), and it was awful. It mostly wasn't funny, Rimmer wasn't in most of it, they brought back Kochansky (albeit played by a different actress) which ruined the group dynamics and also changed the Cat's personality (he was convinced that he was irresistible to woman, plus he was sex obsessed (even though he never got to meet any women) so he'd have been all over Kotansky, but instead the writer altered the Cat's personality), Kryten became clingy for some reason, and overall it just wasn't funny (I know I've said that already, but the drop in quality from season 6 to 7 merits me repeating myself :angry: ). Plus the fact that the actress who played Kotachanksy wasn't funny didn't exactly help, of course.

Season 8 was better, but still not much good. Return to Earth, or whatever it was called, was painfully awful. Season 10 was slow and dragged on, I thought, but was as good as anything else from season 7 onwards. So my hopes aren't high for season 11.

But 1 to 6 are superb. And the ending to series 6,
Spoiler: click to toggle
was a brilliant way to end the series, and I'm not complaining too much, as I'll always have seasons 1 to 6 to watch (I didn't buy the DVDs of season 7 onwards, of course).

My favourite episode is probably either Back to Reality, or Gunmen of the Apocalypse, and my favourite character is Ace Rimmer (he's brilliant!), and my favourite of the four regulars is Rimmer, as he's so funny, although the Cat and Kryten are also hilarious. I love how Rimmer is so 'brave' when he thinks that he's safe, then how quickly he becomes a coward when danger appears.

BTW, Buddy1983, have you read the Red Dwarf novels? If not, then you should, to me, the best part of Red Dwarf is the first two novels. The first is Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, the second is Better Than Life, and both are fantastic. They were both written by by Grant and Naylor, but then the writers went their separate ways, and each one wrote a third Red Dwarf novel, so that both of these novels directly follow on from the end of Better than Life!

The first released was Last Human, which isn't much good at all. Then Backwards was released, which is much, much better. You can skip Last Human if you like, but you really should read Backwards, as it's funny and at times very clever. To me the Red Dwarf novels are Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, Better Than Life, and Backwards. If you do read them, then try to read them in order, as each novel follows on from the earlier one.

BTW, since Grant and Naylor wrote the good TV episodes, and the two best novels, and since Grant wrote the best (by far the best) third novel, and Naylor single-handedly wrote the bad TV episodes, I assumed that Grant must be the more talented and funny writer. But I've read two more of Grant's solo novels (nothing to do with Read Dwarf, but still comedy science fiction), called Colony, and Incompetence, and neither were much good. Plus together, Grant and Naylor wrote a TV program called The Strangerers, which I thought was very weak and unfunny. So maybe Red Dwarf was just a case of lightning striking?
Edited by Kerr Avon, Oct 17 2014, 08:29 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
NIce post Kerr, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply if i'm honest :dance:

I agree with most of your points 1-6 are the best series and although 7 is a big dip I did enjoy it although the jump in budget ruined the cheap look which in my opinion adds to the comedy some what. I always find it annoying that they didnt (or havent yet) answered the cliff hanger in S8. Back to earth should only be seen as a testing the waters pilot of sorts for DAVE (the UK channel) to see if there was still an audience. My first watch of series X was a little disappoiinting, I found it funny but not amazing. I watched it again recently and loved it, not sure why lol. I think series 11 could be great but we will see.

I have the audio books of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers & Better Than Life, I agree that they are very good.

My favorite character is Dave, just a really well written slob :dance:

Favorite episode is a harder question as there are too many to mention, but ones that stand out to me are Queeg & polymorph,

Posted Image

I also think that the episodes with Holly (played by Normal Lovett) to be the best ones, his dry humor makes the shows much funnier.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Huge fan of Red Dwarf here.
While 7 and 8 might not have been as good as the earlier ones I still thought they were decent and had some good moments.
Particularly the "Have a fantastic period" moment 😂

Looking forward to the new one.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Sorry to double post yet again. but I was playing through Jet Force Gemini recently.

I wonder if the team that made that game were fans of Red Dwarf!
I would assume so, it being a sci-ri sort of game and both being British.
And the final season for many years (Season 8 in 1999) was the same year JFG came out.

But check out the intro to The Battle Cruiser Sekhmet (maybe not exact spelling!
The slow close up of a larger red ship and all that.
And the Jet Force crews personal ships certainly remind of Star Bug!

Shorebound
buddy1983
Oct 21 2014, 04:04 AM
I agree with most of your points 1-6 are the best series and although 7 is a big dip I did enjoy it although the jump in budget ruined the cheap look which in my opinion adds to the comedy some what. I always find it annoying that they didnt (or havent yet) answered the cliff hanger in S8. Back to earth should only be seen as a testing the waters pilot of sorts for DAVE (the UK channel) to see if there was still an audience. My first watch of series X was a little disappoiinting, I found it funny but not amazing. I watched it again recently and loved it, not sure why lol. I think series 11 could be great but we will see.

The lady friend had not watched it, so we marathoned all episodes over a month and a bit. Having just recently watched Series X again, it is definitely better the second time around. It felt a little flat initially, but you can see they put the time and effort into the episodes. I think that's what made me appreciate it more on my second time through.

Definitely looking forward to the new series and, at this point, it's all I have! I think this was the 5th time I've rewatched the entire show in the last 6-7 years. Starting to know the dialogue off by heart.

I don't really think I have a favourite character but, while the earlier series were great, Cat becomes so much better once they actually gave him a personality. After the 3rd or so he starts having some of the best lines in the entire show.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
The Cat is brilliant, and played superbly by Danny John Jules. I love the way, in the episode 'Back to Reality', when Lister, Rimmer, and Kryten are horrified at the fact that they are in a dystopian world where human life has no value, the Cat is only horrified at the fact that he himself isn't cool, and is called 'Dwayne Dibley"!

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
New Red Dwarf airs tomorrow night over here! 👍

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Its won a few awards for the new series :yeah: think it maybe back to its best and of all series XII airs this year too :D
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Absolutely loved the 3 episodes so far.

I think I read/heard a while ago that they had been wanting to do it for a bit, but it was just legal and or channel BS holding back when it could get shown.

Regardless, awesome to have them back 😊

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
RD XII started last night and it was back with a bang, great episode.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
One episode of series XII left and its been great so far. Familiar face returning for the last one too :)
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
:cussfit:, I missed the new series, too busy to realize it was on!

I'm sure I'll find a way to see it.

Yes it's me, I want an actual physical copy of it, none of this watching it online.
Too old school aye! 😅

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
It's on here, first episode I have seen is I think the second episode.

Fantastic, as expected 😎

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
The final episode of the series was really good, I hope theres going to be more
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Jan 6 2018, 04:37 AM
The final episode of the series was really good, I hope theres going to be more
indeed it was, what a crowd please of an episode!

Hopefully they keep making Red Dwarf forever 😊
Edited by D.J Cat, Feb 16 2018, 11:23 AM.

« Previous Topic · TV, Movies, Music & Other Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply