Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Castlevania; November Game of the Month
Topic Started: Nov 3 2014, 10:09 AM (349 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Castlevania was our winner by a small margin. I haven't ever played it. I look forward to hearing the opinions of others on it :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
havent played this either, shame MI missed out.
Edited by buddy1983, Nov 3 2014, 01:31 PM.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
buddy1983
Nov 3 2014, 10:53 AM
havent played this either, same MI missed out.
Ditto... :-/
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
I've played it. Actually, I'm the one who nominated Castlevania and for good reason. Even before I had an N64 memory pak, I would play the first few levels over and over killing monsters with either Reinhardt's whip or Carrie's spells. Of course, getting that memory pak later on showed me just how much fun the rest of the game was. Sure it had it's tough parts (not a negative for me), but save points were aplenty and, save for that hedge maze section, it never got to the point where I wanted to put down the controller and quit. Having an interesting story with some memorable characters as well as a day and night system (which determined which ending you got for each character) certainly helps as well.

This game has gotten quite a bit of hatred amongst many Castlevania fans and, of all the complaints I've heard, the only one that seemed fair was this game's camera problems. Sure I could argue that many games of that era made you wrestle with it's camera, but I have to remember that not everyone grew up in that time. When you're used to the games of today, it's pretty easy to turn up your nose at bad camera controls. And even those who were around at the time might have skipped 5th gen's 3d games entirely for the same reason.

But, for those who still enjoy firing up their N64 systems and playing the 3d classics it offered, I say give this one a try. It actually got favorable reviews back then and I think it deserves them. I've never played Legacy of Darkness before so maybe that's the better game, but Castlevania is much cheaper and is great on it's own.
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I love Love LOVE the NES and SNES Castlevania titles, and I've tried to get into this one, but have failed. Yes, the camera can block your view of the action (not good), but more distasteful to me are the controls, and the music, which is way below Castlevania par. Nevetheless, I may have a few more goes at it . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

action
i'm a great advocate for the N64 castlevania titles.

this is pre QTE's, before the dumbing down of the action and the focus on cutscenes that is so prevalent in modern 3D action adventures.

in short, this is a gamer's game. as far as 3D castlevanias go, this is the one that stays true to the classics the most.

the camera? certainly not worse than something like super mario 64.

Nuno
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yes the camera is bad sometimes (a bit more aggravating than Super Mario 64 but maybe because of the nature of the game) and it doesn't have that NES music, but I think it's a great game. The music I think was somehow on purpose to create that atmosphere. Nice graphics and levels... pretty good classic ;)

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Castlevania was one of the original four games I got with my N64 and was the only one I remember being disappointed with. I might look at it differently today but back then it was really bland and unimpressive next to Ocarina of Time. Perhaps that isn't a fair comparison but it was what I had at the time.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Of course, I prefer Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness(because it's better all around), but the first one isn't bad. I really like some of the levels, they were a lot of fun, and the bosses were pretty cool. It's basically a perfect conversion of castlevania into 3D. I don't know why so many people give it flak.

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
Loved Castlvania 64 although it is so difficult! Glad it finally made it!
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply