Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help please: Pal N64 on a USA NTSC HD TV; How can I get a UK N64 to work on my USA high def TV?
Topic Started: Jan 23 2015, 09:56 AM (3,193 Views)
bullet tooth tony
Hi Everyone,

I am new and searching for advice. I used to live in the UK but recently moved to the USA. I have taken my Pal N64 and all my games with me to play here in the USA. However I just cannot get my N64 to display on my USA TV. Does anyone have any advice?

I notice that the TV's in the USA have different ports and as such have no space for the AV cable that came with the PAL N64. Due to this i purchased a composite AV cable that was designed to be plugged into the multi out port on the back of the N64 and had yellow, red and white cables to insert into the TV. However this did not work either.

So how do i get my pal N64 to work on a USA (presumably NTSC) high definition TV? I would really appreciate anything leading to a solution to this problem!

Thank you.

Background:
I purchased a used but official NTSC power supply for my N64 which allows me to plug my console deck straight into the mains. The power light comes on no problem so i know that the lack of display is not due to a console power defect.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
You are right that your power supply is not the cause of your complications.

Your main problem is hooking a PAL console to any NTSC (read: American) TV. A PAL signal is 50 HZ; an NTSC signal is 60Hz. You need a PAL to NTSC signal converter. But for the price, you might consider ordering an N64 console with no hookups from eBay; probably cheaper and better compatibility.

Your secondary issue is hooking any N64 up to an HDTV. Please explore this subfolder on the topic.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bullet tooth tony
Thank you for your reply. I did consider purchasing a new N64 (NTSC) which is what I think you are referring to - however i decided against it because, at least in my mind, by all of my games again - is that correct or is there a way around that?

How much would a good PAL to NTSC converter cost? I am wary of going on ebay and seeing something from Hong Kong for $20 and realizing that it does nothing when it arrives (has happened before).

Thanks again.
I have just had a quick look around the thread regarding playing an N64 on a HDTV.

In reading what you posted, bluedogrulez, the two issues i face are converting pal to NTSC (1), and then displaying that on an HD TV (2). Do you think that this product on amazon would work?

http://www.amazon.com/BG-440-Composite-Multi-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B008ACKIYI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422031598&sr=1-3&keywords=upscaler+pal+to+ntsc
Edited by bullet tooth tony, Jan 23 2015, 10:50 AM.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
It seems right up your alley, BUT upscalers may create gameplay lag, which is really no good. In the reviews for that product, there was only one gamer, but he reported product failure nearly immediately, so no indication if this device is good for gaming.

Mayfair used to produce a cheap PAL to NTSC converter. I think Lukie Games used to have it for under $20. But that doesn't solve the upscaling issue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bullet tooth tony
OK im not sure of where to go now - any suggestions?

From what you are saying it looks like i can get a simple Pal to NTSC convertor which would put the signal in the correct format but then i would be left searching for a solution to connect to an HD tv after that.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Hooking the N64 to an HDTV is a challenge in itself. And every solution comes with some kind of compromise.

If I were you, I would probably bite the bullet on the converter you linked, and hope for the best. That would be the simplest solution.

There's also a device called a Passport 3 Plus. It allows you to play PAL games on NTSC consoles. I don't have any personal experience, so maybe another member could fill in the gaps. But it could potentially be another solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Plus-PC-NTSC-Console-PAL/dp/B008ELVW0E
Edited by kartmaster, Jan 23 2015, 10:21 PM.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
That's tough. Other than getting a PAL TV or and NTSC N64, I don't know much about going from PAL to NTSC.
I'm not sure how many N64 games you have, but I think getting an NTSC N64 might be your best bet. Search around Goodwill stores and you might find one for cheap. Last year I picked up a complete system with 2 controllers for $10. You will commonly find N64 games at thrift shops and the like here in the US. It would be in your best interest to get an NTSC N64 anyway at some point.

I know that doesn't exactly solve your problem, but maybe it would be a cost effective work around(especially if you only have a handful of games.)

Just my 2cents.

bullet tooth tony
Ok thank you for all of your replies. I wanted to update you on the process. So I purchased the pal to ntsc converter I posted the link to earlier. It did not work on the high definition tv I mentioned earlier. In fact it did not display anything at all which was a little bewildering. I had thought that the issue I may have faced is slow down due to the up scaling.

Does anyone have any idea as the likely reason it would not display anything at all?

My next step is to see if the device will enable my n64 to work on an older non- high def tv although that will likely be problematic as the only output is HDMI and the old tv will likely not have that as an input.

Running out of ideas......perhaps purchasing a simpler pal to ntsc converter would be best- thoughts?

Grimakis
Member Avatar
It looks like a decent converter. Try playing around with the different settings. Maybe bring it to a neighbors house to test it on their TV. Perhaps you have a defectice unit?

bullet tooth tony
This issue is still nagging at me. I cannot get any sort of converter to work. However, I have seen that video projectors could be a possibility with many stating that they work with either pal or ntsc input.

Does anyone have any experience working with this...i.e. using an N64 with a projector?

Overall it would be the expensive choice but, to me at least, it might work.

Thanks.

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
My only option is to look projectors that has av cables hookups red, white and yellow.
And the issue is that best bet is getting a n64 passport plus 3, it will let you play pal games on ntsc tv but you will need certain ntsc games to be able play the pal games you wish to play. Because of the region code. The device plays almost all games but some not work. That is my only best bet.
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

snakezilla
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help me please.

I just moved to the U.S and have bought an NTSC console to play Goldeneye which works via composite cabling on my NTSC HDTV.

I have a PAL N64 back in the U.K with a large collection of games which I'd rather not have to re-purchase in NTSC format. I'm thinking of having it sent over to the U.S.

I understand the difference in voltage and signal output between the two regions but I have a few further questions:

1. If I use my U.S N64 power supply unit in my PAL N64, will the system work without burning out? I thought a step up/down convertor was normally needed?
2. If I use my NTSC composite cable on my PAL console, might it work on my NTSC TV? The TV connected without issues using the NTSC console which I understand is a blessing, given that many newer HDTV's have trouble picking up the signal.

Thanks for your help everyone.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@snakezilla: My experience:

1. Yes, it works. I have a power supply for my PAL console, no issues reported.

2. Yes. I used NTSC composite cables for my PAL console, hooked up to a NTSC TV through a signal converter.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

snakezilla
Thanks BlueDog - that's really helpful!

Any recommendations on signal convertors please?

Thanks!

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply