Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help please: Pal N64 on a USA NTSC HD TV; How can I get a UK N64 to work on my USA high def TV?
Topic Started: Jan 23 2015, 09:56 AM (2,595 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
You are right that your power supply is not the cause of your complications.

Your main problem is hooking a PAL console to any NTSC (read: American) TV. A PAL signal is 50 HZ; an NTSC signal is 60Hz. You need a PAL to NTSC signal converter. But for the price, you might consider ordering an N64 console with no hookups from eBay; probably cheaper and better compatibility.

Your secondary issue is hooking any N64 up to an HDTV. Please explore this subfolder on the topic.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
It seems right up your alley, BUT upscalers may create gameplay lag, which is really no good. In the reviews for that product, there was only one gamer, but he reported product failure nearly immediately, so no indication if this device is good for gaming.

Mayfair used to produce a cheap PAL to NTSC converter. I think Lukie Games used to have it for under $20. But that doesn't solve the upscaling issue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@snakezilla: My experience:

1. Yes, it works. I have a power supply for my PAL console, no issues reported.

2. Yes. I used NTSC composite cables for my PAL console, hooked up to a NTSC TV through a signal converter.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply