Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help please: Pal N64 on a USA NTSC HD TV; How can I get a UK N64 to work on my USA high def TV?
Topic Started: Jan 23 2015, 09:56 AM (3,018 Views)
bullet tooth tony
Hi Everyone,

I am new and searching for advice. I used to live in the UK but recently moved to the USA. I have taken my Pal N64 and all my games with me to play here in the USA. However I just cannot get my N64 to display on my USA TV. Does anyone have any advice?

I notice that the TV's in the USA have different ports and as such have no space for the AV cable that came with the PAL N64. Due to this i purchased a composite AV cable that was designed to be plugged into the multi out port on the back of the N64 and had yellow, red and white cables to insert into the TV. However this did not work either.

So how do i get my pal N64 to work on a USA (presumably NTSC) high definition TV? I would really appreciate anything leading to a solution to this problem!

Thank you.

Background:
I purchased a used but official NTSC power supply for my N64 which allows me to plug my console deck straight into the mains. The power light comes on no problem so i know that the lack of display is not due to a console power defect.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bullet tooth tony
Thank you for your reply. I did consider purchasing a new N64 (NTSC) which is what I think you are referring to - however i decided against it because, at least in my mind, by all of my games again - is that correct or is there a way around that?

How much would a good PAL to NTSC converter cost? I am wary of going on ebay and seeing something from Hong Kong for $20 and realizing that it does nothing when it arrives (has happened before).

Thanks again.
I have just had a quick look around the thread regarding playing an N64 on a HDTV.

In reading what you posted, bluedogrulez, the two issues i face are converting pal to NTSC (1), and then displaying that on an HD TV (2). Do you think that this product on amazon would work?

http://www.amazon.com/BG-440-Composite-Multi-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B008ACKIYI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422031598&sr=1-3&keywords=upscaler+pal+to+ntsc
Edited by bullet tooth tony, Jan 23 2015, 10:50 AM.

bullet tooth tony
OK im not sure of where to go now - any suggestions?

From what you are saying it looks like i can get a simple Pal to NTSC convertor which would put the signal in the correct format but then i would be left searching for a solution to connect to an HD tv after that.

bullet tooth tony
Ok thank you for all of your replies. I wanted to update you on the process. So I purchased the pal to ntsc converter I posted the link to earlier. It did not work on the high definition tv I mentioned earlier. In fact it did not display anything at all which was a little bewildering. I had thought that the issue I may have faced is slow down due to the up scaling.

Does anyone have any idea as the likely reason it would not display anything at all?

My next step is to see if the device will enable my n64 to work on an older non- high def tv although that will likely be problematic as the only output is HDMI and the old tv will likely not have that as an input.

Running out of ideas......perhaps purchasing a simpler pal to ntsc converter would be best- thoughts?

bullet tooth tony
This issue is still nagging at me. I cannot get any sort of converter to work. However, I have seen that video projectors could be a possibility with many stating that they work with either pal or ntsc input.

Does anyone have any experience working with this...i.e. using an N64 with a projector?

Overall it would be the expensive choice but, to me at least, it might work.

Thanks.

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply