Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
To those of you who own or plan to own Amiibos: What will you be doing with them?
For collecting only!! Want 100%, to remain unopened for eternity. Dupes if needed. 4 (19%)
Collecting 100%, but happy to open and and display. May use if supported in-game. 2 (9.5%)
Collecting only the character(s) I like. May or may not open, may use if supported. 6 (28.6%)
Equal parts collecting and in-game unlocking. I want to reap the digital benefits too! 4 (19%)
Mainly for the in-game unlocks, and heavily dependent on the game and/or character. 4 (19%)
Re-selling. Gonna catch 'em-... errr... gonna make some money! 1 (4.8%)
Total Votes: 21
The Nintendo Amiibo Topic; Gonna catch 'em all?
Topic Started: Jun 28 2014, 09:52 AM (2,660 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
With all the hardcore collectors on this forum I'm surprised there hasn't been a topic created about the recently announced Amiibos yet.

At first I was turned off by the thought of what seems like an obvious Nintendo money grab, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of collecting a few Amiibos of my favorite characters like Mario, Luigi, Wario, Donkey Kong and Bowser. :w00t:

I really like the fact that the Amiibos will even interact with Mario Kart 8 even though the figures themselves won't be available until Super Smash Bros. Wii U launches this Winter.

What do you guys think about the Amiibos? Gonna catch 'em all?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yes, I must have them all @)_(@

just wondering if I should have them sealed or just to play with.. maybe both..
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It'd be neat if Nintendo releases region specific Amiibo so that we can use this site as a place to trade figures.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Conker69
Well I need two sets one graded and one to play with.

Posted Image
Just a simple guy with an average collection.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo seems to understand that because of digital distribution game collecting may soon be obsolete so they're trying to supplant that with Amiibos.

Amiibos are tailored made for the Super Smash Bros. franchise but they'll also work well with Pokemon so Nintendo is guaranteed an additional revenue stream to help make the Wii U monetarily successful regardless of how many units they sell. :yeah:

All of you who lament that you didn't get N64 games and peripherals when they were readily available back in the day better jump on Amiiibos before the rarer examples become prohibitively expensive. ^_^

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
For the last 6 months, I 've wrestled with buying Disney's Infinite, having stalked it down to like $42 for the starter set ( may even be cheaper now). I love Disney , my kids love Disney, so why not pull the trigger? Because it is infinite! I foresee my kids (okay me ) drooling over new characters everytime we walk into a toy store or toy aisle. I 've also seen some crazy prices on the "rarer " figures. And there's the whole need to buy two for two player thing too. In sum, huge money suck.

That said, I am excited for Amiibos, though I certainly will not catch 'em all. I am intrigued to see how they can be used in various games, like Mario Kart 8 and ( fingers crossed, Wii U Sports Club.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I could see myself picking up Link and Samus for display purposes but I don't think I'd actually use them if I ever took the Wii U plunge.

Kamikaze
For sure going to pick some up. They are compatible with my 2 favorite games, so why not.

Thinking of picking up Mario, Kirby and maybe a pokemon as well to play with. And if the price is right it may pick up the others as well. Some are for sure going to be rare. I mean, who wants to have the Wii Fit Coach to play with?

Cabanon
Elite
HUGE money cow for Nintendo. following what has been a HUGE money grab for Activision & Disney. they're cashing in while the hype is there.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Amiibo represent the future for legitimate collectors as the gaming industry is very quickly moving towards digital distribution. We see this very clearly in the way that Nintendo promotes a free download with Mario Kart 8 that the company would love to cut middlemen retailers out of the equation. Further evidence of this business model is the way Nintendo sells "refurbished" Wii U's through their on-line store. Most pundits are of the opinion that refurbs are actually new units that are sold at a discount because retailers are cut out of the transaction.

In the very near future, if you want to collect anything tangible and video game related you may have no other choice besides consoles, controllers and now Amiibo.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
72 Million Kids Are Dying To Get Their Grubby Hands On Smart Toys Like Amiibo

Quote:

Nintendo may find that the commercial success of its upcoming Amiibo NFC toy range could exceed even the most outlandish of expectations, if new research conducted by Entertainment, media and technology market research firm Interpret is correct.

The company recently commissioned a study to found out the potential size of the worldwide market for "smart toys", such as Skylanders, Disney Infinity and the forthcoming Amiibo. The research indicated that more than 72 million kids worldwide are interested in owning such products.

Everybody's excited about interfacing Super Smash Bros. Wii U Amiibos with their console but I'm more curious to find out how the Amiibos are going to interact with Mario Kart 8. :blink:

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
and also what would be the cost of 1 Amiibos.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Vinyl
Jun 28 2014, 09:55 AM
Yes, I must have them all @)_(@

just wondering if I should have them sealed or just to play with.. maybe both..
If they're anything like Skylanders, the toys work even when still sealed in their packages :)
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I kinda wanted to talk about how rare and common certain amiibos are. Working at Gamestop I can see what is rare and what is not. The rarest so far are Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager in that order. What amiibos have you guys picked up if any and how do you feel about the rarity factor of all these?
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Picked up my Yoshi Amiibo at Gamestop today. Didn't take inventory while I was there.

At our Wal-Mart the Marth & Wii Fit Trainer slots were empty, and they didn't even have a peg for the Villager. So that seems to match your impressions.

In the end I suppose some of the store exclusive ones will be come rare.

They're pretty cool little figurines and I really like the packaging. Quite attractive.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Guite
Member Avatar
I went to two EB Games on Friday (Gamestop in the US) and the outcome was pretty similar however the bigger store had both villager and Wii Fit trainer there. Neither had Marth and I didn't even realize until later on that he was also released :P
Nintendo Network ID: Guitee
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2469-6451
PSN ID: EGuite

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
At my Walmart Marth, Villager and the Trainer are all on order and didn't arrive day one like the rest of them. We got plenty of the others, though.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
I have Samus on order from Toys R Us. I think they had Wii U Fit Trainer (which is likely to be the worst selling figurine of the series). I'd like to get DK, mario and Luigi, but with the yesterday's unexpected arrival of Marvel Infinity, and Trap Team arriving under the Christmas tree, not sure additional amiibo are a priority right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I ordered Villager and wii fit from Toys r us because of how rare they were. I'm searching head or heels for Marth with no luck :(
Edited by Spidercolt, Nov 23 2014, 08:13 AM.

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I haven't purchased any Amiibo yet but when I was in GameStop picking up my copy of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and the GameCube Adapter the manager told me he sold 3/4 of his store's allotment of Amiibo in just one day. :o

Already I can see that there are going to be some unique collecting opportunities with the Amiibo. Here's just one example.

Amiibo Manufacturing Error Gives Samus Two Arm Cannons

I'll probably pick up an Amiibo when Wario becomes available as I've really taken to him in both MK8 and SSBWiiU. :D

Posted Image

Guite
Member Avatar
Pardon my confusion, but are these three 'rare' Amiibos not going to be restocked? I was under the impression that they are hard to find now but will be restocked in the future.

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
They will be restocked at some point but the three are going to be printed less than say. Mario, Link, and Kirby.

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
They'll keep making more as long as people keep buying them. It's the least popular ones that will become "rare". Better buy 100 Wii Fit Trainers for 20 years from now. It's an INVESTMENT! :w00t:
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Kartmaster brings up a good point; we probably won't know which Amiibo are actually rare until most of us are old and grey. :D

It'd be nice if Nintendo offered special edition Amiibo through Club Nintendo to ensure that some are indeed more exclusive than others. Maybe give out some really rare ones at events like EVO or E3. Ultimately the options, with respect to Amiibo, are nearly limitless. I'm holding out hope that Nintendo offers a program to turn my Mii in to an Amiibo. :w00t:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Pokemon's Lucario Amiibo Exclusive to Toys R Us

"Yet another retailer-exclusive Amiibo has been revealed. Toys R Us announced today that it will be the exclusive carrier of the Lucario Amiibo, which will go on sale on February 1, 2015 for $14."

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Nov 23 2014, 10:01 PM
we probably won't know which Amiibo are actually rare until most of us are old and grey. :D
Well, I'm already old and at least partially partially grey (just like the real bluedog now that I think about it :D ), so I'll fairly certain the Fitness Instructor :facepalm: and any Gamestop exclusive will be relatively rare. Why? First, with respect to the ill-advised instructor, and aside from logic, some of the rarer Series 1 Skylanders are the less popular characters. I see this trend continuing even through Trap Team. My Gamestop and TRU shelves were full 3 weeks ago; now Gearshift is far more abundant (i.e., she's not selling well).

As for the Gamestop Exclusives, gamers may tend to forget that most families will shop and Target frequently, and TRU regularly for birthday gift, but Gamestop is not a regular trip. And we have the Xenoblade experience to draw from.

I received my TRU Amiibo order yesterday. Sadly, Samus did not have double arm cannons, so the college savings continues :P We've all seen the Mario for ages and it was representative; and I really like the detail on Peach. The figures' total body dimensions were slightly smaller than I had envisioned, and generally less than most Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures. I have to say Samus is disappointingly thin; her arms look like those that broke off my kids' Ninja Stealth Elf. I am trying to wait for Christmas to open her. I tried the keep-in-box-while-scanning trick that works for Skylanders, but no dice. No Samus suit for my MK8 Mii yet. May have to open and re-glue >:-]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Conker69
Post your amiibos!!

I'm buying two sets one to get gradded and one to play with. I'm also getting a bundle and a regular copy of the game gradded. I've allready got the second series preordered. Just missing two Marth to have a complete series one. And the samus variant with two cannons. Hopefully I'll find one in town.

Posted Image

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
I will eventually get all series 1 amiibos on the boxing day sale (if there is any amiibos left...)
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

Conker69
Boomdiers
Nov 27 2014, 08:46 PM
I will eventually get all series 1 amiibos on the boxing day sale (if there is any amiibos left...)
I'd grab the villager and marth now if you can find them I've been to and or phoned every game store here and can't find any marth. Stores have only been getting 8 of each at the most. Spent the whole day looking today.

Guite
Member Avatar
I spoke to a manager at EB Games (Gamestop) yesterday when I was passing by one and he said that he thinks all Amiibos will get some stock back over time. I asked him in particular about the Marth one as I hadn't seen it yet at any stores I went to and he said that he expects that he will receive a box of them every now and then, just not the 5 he had to sell on Day 1.

After talking to him my impression was that over time none of the Amiibos will go up ridiculously in value. Sure, Marth and Villager may be rarer, but there will be enough stock and the fact that they are some of the least popular characters means that they won't really be serious investment. I could be wrong of course but that was just the impression I got. What he did say however is that the Gamecube Adapaters are likely not going to get any more production so the ones that sold Day 1 are probably the only ones that will be out there unless Nintendo changes their mind.

Oh, and I can't count how many times I have seen Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos so I really don't think they are too rare (at least here in Canada, or Ottawa) so I didn't bother picking on up.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: