Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Superman 64; April Game of the Month
Topic Started: Apr 2 2015, 11:31 AM (803 Views)
cheaterdragon1
Member Avatar
Established Member
I don't like this game very much yet I've still played it a lot. It's really fascinating. I've completed it from start to finish twice and have also done lots of screwing around. I guess I have a lot to say about the game.

A lot of people complain about the controls and they aren't great but I think they're manageable. For the ring stages the trick is to just think of Superman as a flying car. In racing games you have an accelerate button and a gas button. This applies to Superman too. When you take a turn in a racing game you need to slow down or you're going to crash into a wall or go off the track. Same with Superman, depending on the turn you need to slow down a little or a lot or else you're going to miss the ring. There's plenty of room for error as well. They usually give you 0.5x to 2x more time than needed plus you can miss a few rings.

I remember when I first played I finished that first ring section rather easily and was wondering what the fuss was about.

When you complete a ring section you then have to do a "mini-game". If you fail the mini-game then you have to do that previous ring section again at least for the first 3 tries. At least if you continue to fail the mini-game 4 or more times then you can start over at the mini-game. After the mini-game you fly through more rings, then another mini-game, then more rings, then mini-game, then one more final set of rings which usually ends right at a building where the next stage takes place. 7 levels of the game are like this.

Ring stages are really not hard, just give the game an honest chance and you'll be flying through them in no time.

Superman 64 has 14 stages. Odd number stages are ring stages and even number stages are actual action levels where you fight bad guys, save people, and face an actual villain from the Superman Animated TV Series.

This game is at it's worst in these action levels. The levels are so glitchy and broken. I guarantee anyone who does a playthough of this game will fall through the floor or out of bounds at one point. It's usually comical for a moment, then you realize you have to re-start the level. And of course there's no checkpoints. Action levels are for the most part big and empty. The framerate is often atrocious. Also things usually don't respawn. Some parts involve grabbing crates and putting them on switches. If you lose the crate or glitch the crate then you don't get another one. Only solution is to restart. Characters can also fall out of bounds or not go where they're supposed to. Once again you must restart. Also avoid the super speed powerup. You don't need it ever and you run so fast that you can clip through nearly every wall in the game. This game also freezes a lot. It tends to do it during cutscenes but it can also do it randomly.

People who play Superman on Youtube mostly suck. A lot of them just seem to :cussfit: about the controls and just play badly. Well you should give every game a chance and try to learn how to play it a bit. I also saw one video where a guy was complaining about the purple sky. The sky is only purple in Superman if you're playing in emulator. Tons of N64 games are glitchy in emulator this isn't news. I especially hated the AVGN episode. All he did was :cussfit: about the rings and he didn't show any footage past the first level. If you want to make fun of Superman I would at least talk about the glitches as all sorts of crazy stuff can happen.

If anyone wants to watch an intelligent person play Superman I would check out ProtonJonSA's playthrough. It's really entertaining and will get you in the mood to play the game. The only thing I don't like with his series is that it appears to be abandoned as he only has levels 1-7 done. That's still several hours of entertainment though.

And if anyone is still interested in more Superman 64, take a look at the leaked Prototype. I did an article talking about it a year ago. To put it short the prototype is a hell of a lot better than the final version. Lots of cool stuff to see.
Posted Image Posted Image

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply