Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Easter Eggs Super Mario 64; Does anybody know of any easter eggs on levels 1 and 2?
Topic Started: Jun 9 2015, 09:29 AM (2,303 Views)
GameFrenzyUSA
Hello All!

Has anyone ever heard of any easter eggs in Super Mario 64? Specifically in levels 1 and 2? I recently, have began replaying Super Mario 64. I recently beat Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U and was pleasantly surprised with a bunch of easter eggs in that game. Just wondering if anybody knew of any cool ones on Super Mario 64.
http://z1.ifrm.com/7061/77/0/e20843//e20843.png

Thanks!
Game Frenzy USA
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Maybe the mysterious "L is Real 2401" myth/fact/easteregg noone actually know what it is but its real alright :P

PS: this sign is also in Zelda OOT
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hmm, i never knew that one!

You can also get Mario to interact with the little fish in a few places, like Jolly Roger Bay.
They will hop out of the water everytime you jump.
I haven't done it in years though.

Edited by No64DD, Jun 9 2015, 03:48 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
Vinyl
Jun 9 2015, 10:21 AM
Maybe the mysterious "L is Real 2401" myth/fact/easteregg noone actually know what it is but its real alright :P

Didn't know what you were talking about, Vinyl, until I googled it. So I researched it and have gathered a reasonable explanation for L is Real 2401. It means Luigi is real 2-4-01. Now what does THAT mean? The answer lies in the line below it, saying paper m. When put together, it all makes Luigi is real, February 4, 2001, Paper Mario. Paper Mario was released in the US on February 5, 2001. So the plaque can't be referring to Paper Mario. But a day doesn't make much of a difference. And the plaque says the same thing in the Japanese version of Super Mario 64. But then why is it in a Zelda game? Because most Zelda games make a Mario reference. What better way to do that than by giving the players more mystery in the L is real case?
Edited by Bamboozled, Jun 9 2015, 07:20 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
:eh: That is PROLIFIC!!!

Why am i just finding this out now?!

That would mean that in 1995, the makers of SM64 foreseen the exact date of Paper Mario (Mario's Story)?

The original idea for this game was forecasted as Super Mario RPG2 for the 64DD back in 1996/97...
But how is Luigi fitting into this running theme??

I think i need to lay down. :wacko:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
Luigi was in Paper Mario but was scrapped for Super Mario 64. He was supposed to be in so maybe it was a way of saying 'we haven't forgotten Luigi'.
Edited by Bamboozled, Jun 9 2015, 06:39 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
oh my, so you mean I lost all these countless hours, day and night searching of Luigi in SM64 ? My childhood is now completly destroyed

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I'm sorry.
I'm not buying the internet translation.
But i want to entertain this because i NEVER gave any thought to what it said! EVER!

Can someone get legit images of this inscription from SM64 DS and/or the Wii VC versions?

Edited by No64DD, Jun 9 2015, 10:36 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
No64DD
Jun 9 2015, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry.
I'm not buying the internet translation.
But i want to entertain this because i NEVER gave any thought to what it said! EVER!

Can someone get legit images of this inscription from SM64 DS and/or the Wii VC versions?

Of course. I don't actually think it means something it's just a squiggly line that people took seriously. I am also not buying this. In my translation post I stated I also never gave thought to it, and I didn't know of it before Vinyl's post. And like you, that is why I want to entertain it.

And to cabanon, my deepest regrets to you. :lol:
Edited by Bamboozled, Jun 10 2015, 06:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Fascinating, but new to me...

Reminds me of the Entropic Decay/Zero Tau mystery on Perfect Dark. Anybody remember that one? Many searched for a philosophical meaning, "inevitable, chaotic decay of all things" and such. All kinds of theories, leading up to someone noticing the main picture of Rare's webpage was for Donkey Kong, and titles "Intro pic DK". I don't guess anything else ever came of it.

I just chalk some things like this up to intentional and unsolvable mysteries. Some things just seem to be designed to puzzle people, with out ever really having a real explanation. Sometimes fun to speculate though ;)

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Well then, it might be a good idea to go grab your fun hats if you can...

wink wink!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Speaking of Donkey Kong, there's an N64 cameo in Donkey Kong Country 3 for the Super Nintendo. Not only that but the music is a 16-bit rendition of "Inside the Castle Walls" from Super Mario 64! :w00t:

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
ok I'm back,
To recap on what I mentioned above pertaining to "L is real 2401", screenshots of the SM64DS/WiiVC versions are not really necessary, but the VC version was updated with 640x480 resolution; equivalent to the Expansion Pak.

Moving on,
By now I suppose, we are now familiar with this myth in SM64 known as L is real 2401- located in the Castle courtyard. It has been floating around for years online much to my surprise...
I want to point out that I completed this game shortly after it's release, so the idea that this myth is new info to me should hopefully be irrelevant!

First let's take a look at the connection it does have to a little game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Posted Image
What a game!!
It was basically the first time that the language of Hyrule - Hylian; created by the Hylia was represented in-game so well.

Take a look at a bottle of Lon Lon milk
Spoiler: click to toggle

The only other time that I'm aware of where Hylian is not used in-game is in Dodongo's Cavern on the stone that perpetuates the 'L is real 2401' myth, but let's table that for now.

back to Super Mario 64! ^_^
A similar thing is also going on in this game with things like signs and visual text as well, and I found it out looking into this thread further. When it comes to ANY in-game text- like messages read, and told to and by Mario, they all use the same FONT... Even in the Castle Courtyard. And it actually reads

A Secret star
lie here ~

Not convinced??

Fantastic!!!
here is the exact Font template
Posted Image
And the link
Super Mario 64 Font
I urge you to find a way to copy, paste, print, trace, type with, fax, share, link, and/or tweet this and see with the naked eye.
Ask yourself- 'what happens to images, sprites, textures, and even graphic text when buffered into the N64 arena? especially up close?
it gets blurry... let's go to the courtyard
Spoiler: click to toggle

Edited by No64DD, Jun 12 2015, 04:27 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
You're getting me excited No64DD!
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
You're welcome :yeah:

It's an interesting side note- that Nintendo removed this inscription and used whatever version they considered "Hylian" for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

I suppose they were done scoffing at the dissimilarities that they already knew then.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 12 2015, 11:16 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

thebaum64
Member Avatar
Vinyl
Jun 9 2015, 10:21 AM

Literally the most classic Easter egg/myth ever.

Grimakis
Member Avatar
I believe the penguin in the slide race is much fatter if you go back after getting 120 stars.

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Shooting in the dark here but could 'L is real 2401' refer to Luigis mansion as his first main game?

I know it was released on 14/9/01 but maybe they planned to release on 4/2/01 or 2/4/01 or 1/4/02???
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
No.

It says A Secret star lie here ~

People have been reading it wrong for 20 years. :yawn:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
No64DD
Sep 23 2016, 05:25 AM
No.

It says A Secret star lie here ~

People have been reading it wrong for 20 years. :yawn:
Thanks for crushing my childhood sense of wonder Mr. "I'm the master of reading illegible Mario 64 text." :/sarcasm

I'm actually kinda glad there is a real answer out there and that's it's not just gibberish. Thanks for putting in the time to figure that all out.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 23 2016, 09:31 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It's because of my childhood sense of wonder that makes these things possible!

Thanks to the game's font style, i was able to match each letter with the template above.

When Nintendo of America started getting calls about L is Real 2401, they were more than happy to perpetuate the myth; either because they didn't have the answer, or knew that it didn't say L is Real 2401 and thought it would be fun to go along with it anyway.

:n64:
Edited by No64DD, Sep 23 2016, 04:10 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
It's a bunch of squiggles.
https://twitter.com/Mantis128
http://ask.fm/Mantis128

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
I think the best part of SM64 is that Bowser and Boo are sharing the same Voice audio.. but Boo is speed up
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Whoa. You're right. Mind blown.
Posted Image

http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
<_>
Mantis128
Sep 24 2016, 05:17 AM
It's a bunch of squiggles.

The Easter egg Hunter

Such amateurs. Take note!
Edited by No64DD, Dec 22 2016, 07:11 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply