Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Comprehensive N64 Big Box Guide/List; The bigger they are...
Topic Started: Jun 13 2015, 03:04 AM (7,695 Views)
Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
I have a big box of StarFox from Korean and it includes the Runble Pak

Looks exactly like this:
http://www.millon-associes.com/html/fiche.jsp?id=4060875&np=1&lng=fr&npp=10000&ordre=&aff=&r=&sold=

https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
This is pretty sick. and so you guys know this ended up on reddit. maybe we can break the viewer high score for a day!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
you can post all the N64 variations also on Reddit xD

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Vinyl
Jul 1 2015, 12:17 PM
you can post all the N64 variations also on Reddit xD
Sure, I can do that later today after work. :)

The more publicity, the better for N64 Forever!
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
This completely slipped my mind for this list until I came across it again today:

F-1 Performance Pack [Australia]
F-1 World Grand Prix + ASCII Wheel 64
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Australia is pulling through with all the exclusive big boxes!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
does the game inside this bundle really have a "player's choice" sticker on the box ?

jkenned5
glad to be back and add to this ;)

KelamyAUS
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Jul 16 2015, 10:02 PM
does the game inside this bundle really have a "player's choice" sticker on the box ?
The game comes as pictured on the box, in the million seller edition (not a sticker, printed on the box)

The performance pack is a sleeve that goes over a red boxed Ascii steering wheel, which the games is then packaged into.
Posted Image

Nuno
Member Avatar
Veteran
I didn't know about that PAL Banjo-Kazzoui plus SW Racer. That's an awesome bundle right there!

N64punk
Member Avatar
i didn't know about most of these! this opens up a whole new world lol.

Rocky
Member Avatar
N64punk
Sep 30 2015, 07:15 PM
i didn't know about most of these! this opens up a whole new world lol.

;)
Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Just thought about it..

Posted Image

This actually counts as a bigger box then a normal game, it's a full 0,1 inch bigger then a normal box! :D
Edited by Vinyl, Nov 20 2015, 08:41 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
a variant yes, a big box, no.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I think for the sake of accuracy I needed to call this out...

From the original post, under the NTSC-J Bix Box Releases section, DDR: Disney Dancing should be REMOVED. The reason is because the 2 items (seen in the picture) are actually sold separately. I own the dance mat box, which includes only the dance mat. The game itself is NOT bundled and was always sold separately. The dance mat was made specifically to go along with the game but the 2 items were never made available together. (additional note: it looks like the picture used is lifted straight from finngamer's website, of which even he states himself directly "Game sold separately.")

I think this really should be edited/removed from the list... otherwise you've got some additional "combos" to be added which messes up the whole "big box" list. (other items that are sold separately from the game it is supposed to be paired with: bio sensor for Tetris 64, fishing rod controller for Shigesato Itoi no Bass Tsuri No.1)

I hope an administrator will see this and make the correction on the original post.
Edited by ddr2nite, Apr 12 2016, 10:37 PM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

Rocky
Member Avatar
ddr2nite
Apr 12 2016, 10:37 PM
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I think for the sake of accuracy I needed to call this out...

From the original post, under the NTSC-J Bix Box Releases section, DDR: Disney Dancing should be REMOVED. The reason is because the 2 items (seen in the picture) are actually sold separately. I own the dance mat box, which includes only the dance mat. The game itself is NOT bundled and was always sold separately. The dance mat was made specifically to go along with the game but the 2 items were never made available together. (additional note: it looks like the picture used is lifted straight from finngamer's website, of which even he states himself directly "Game sold separately.")

I think this really should be edited/removed from the list... otherwise you've got some additional "combos" to be added which messes up the whole "big box" list. (other items that are sold separately from the game it is supposed to be paired with: bio sensor for Tetris 64, fishing rod controller for Shigesato Itoi no Bass Tsuri No.1)

I hope an administrator will see this and make the correction on the original post.
Thank you for pointing out this inconsistency in our community's guide. I have corrected the error. :yeah:
Posted Image

whitelite
hi everyone, ive been trying to find out any information possible on this double play i have, zelda and star wars which wasnt listed in this thread or anywhere else that ive searched so far. Does anyone have any information on it and is it a title that should be added to that list as well? thanks
Posted Image
Edited by whitelite, May 7 2017, 08:49 PM.

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
WOW! This is amazing, thanks for sharing!!

Sadly information on these Australian Double Plays are almost impossible to find, even more so than the items themselves. I'll try and do some further digging to see if I can find which company actually made these, whoever has designed it has used beta images for Ocarina of Time (look at the positioning of the sword icon).

It's unclear just how many games got the Double Play treatment, here's hoping that there's more yet to be discovered!
Edited by danilochka, May 8 2017, 10:39 AM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It would help to know where these were sold. It has both Austrailia and New Zealand distribution addresses. According to Wikipedia, they didn't become a single market til 1998.
In my opinion, they were probably only sold in certain stores for certain periods of time, or else we would see more of them; even by Australian N64 collecting standards.
Edited by No64DD, May 8 2017, 11:28 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

KelamyAUS
Member Avatar
We have seen a number of these in Australia, of the various packs and they always sell quickly and aren't usually advertised with a world wide audience on forums or ebay, so go unnoticed by a lot of people.
Years ago you never saw these. Now they pop up every so often on Gumtree, Facebook etc.
We have also seen price stickers from different Australian retail stores on these packs, so I am certain they were not exclusive to a particular store.
They were advertised for sale late in the N64's life and were at a discounted special price for buying the two games. One retailer advertised it as two games for the price of one. I seem to think it was because they had lots of excess stock - All double plays are packed with Star Wars Racer and one other game.
Since it is a sleeve around the two boxed games, I doubt many people would have kept it (the game boxes alone would have been enough for people to hold on to) and the sleeves can damage easily so may have been torn and thrown away, hence why we don't see them too often.
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
the sleeve is actually in very good shape. wow

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
So here's what I've been able to find, since anyone searching for information about these Double Play bundles will likely end up here.

Firstly, the confirmed number of releases is 4, and since all of them contain Star Wars: Episode I - Racer, it would put their release date sometime after June 1999.

I was able to find a full-page advertisment for all four Double Plays in the Australian magazine N64 Gamer, issue 28. Which would have went to press sometime around May 2000:

Posted Image

This is important for a few reasons. 1) It clarifies that there were 4 releases in this series. 2) It states the price of each bundle was $49.95 AUD, roughly half the price of the latest Nintendo 64 games. 3) If May/June 2000 was when these were first made available, it would justify calling SW Racer a 'classic' title, and would have allowed it a year to have been sold at full price. 4) We can also assume that the Perfect Dark Expanded Edition would have been released around the same time frame as Perfect Dark has a PAL release of 30th June 2000.

This brings us to who actually made these bundles and where were they sold? Well, as KelamyAUS has pointed out, copies have surfaced over the years with price labels from various different stores, so we know it was not limited to one particular place or chain. The answer lies in the barcode number. Numbers 2-6 of a game's barcode (UPC) are a manufacturer's code. Typically for Nintendo games this code will be 45496, as it for all these games in question. However, the outer sleeve for these five releases have a different manufacturer's code of 18113, which I believe belongs to Nintendo Australia Pty. Ltd. Some of the more unique N64 consoles released in Australia also bear this code, namely the Twin Controller Pack, the PokťManiac N64 and the Star Wars: Episode I - Racer Set. It is also used on the F-1 Performance Pack, which uses a similar checkered flag background to the F-1 World Grand Prix Double Play.

Next up, how many exist? Well I was able to find that the Banjo-Kazooie Double Play made it into the top 20 of N64 software sales for August 2000. It is a non-mover which means it was also in the sales chart for July 2000 as well:

Posted Image

So these obiously sold in fairly decent numbers initially, although I suspect that the outer sleeves often just got thrown away. In my opinion, it's only really collectors that would care to keep them complete, it's far easier to store the games if you remove the sleeve entirely and stack them on top of each other. I did exactly this back in the day with my Telstar Double Value bundles for the Sega Mega Drive.

One final thing I'd like to try and address is why do all of these Double Plays contain Star Wars Racer, as it seems odd there was not more variety with the game selections.

Well one thing I know is that virtually every Australian copy I see of this game has a G8+ rating sticker which is covering a standard G rating that is printed on the box itself. What I'm not sure of, is whether this rating was reassessed and changed sometime after release, or if all the boxes (and console set too) were printed erroneously with the wrong rating. The advert above also lists the game as being G rated, despite the sleeve art showing the updated G8+ rating.

Either way, the point is that this was not updated / corrected for future print runs, which makes me suspect that all copies of SW Racer in Australia were from one massive print run they did, and the sales didn't quite match up with the number of units they produced, similar to what happened with Perfect Dark in the USA.

Perhaps by including them with these Double Plays was a way of ensuring that more copies of the game were sold?
Edited by danilochka, May 10 2017, 04:39 AM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Just fascinating Danilochka and Kelamy!

Its amazing how some of these bigger mysteries were just a matter of surplus, and how Nintendo dealt with it.

That's an interesting point about the SWE1R rating.
Yes, this game was a big deal because the movie was an even bigger deal all over the world.
They did market it to kids for obvious reasons, but here it was panned and deemed too fast and difficult! This is when the price dropped to $15 within the first few months after release, much like Perfect Dark did as well.

To me, this makes sense why they would've changed the rating.
Edited by No64DD, May 9 2017, 05:36 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
This is a fascinating read danilochka and I can't imagine the sort of time you have put into this. Many thanks! I totally agree with the double play option to try and flog more copies. It is very logical to believe they had a lot of excess supply they needed to try and shift.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

whitelite
i have to admit this is pretty amazing how danilochka was able to find the full page advertisement showing all 4 types. Thanks heaps for the info, you guys definitely know how to do your research!

Rocky
Member Avatar
Sorry for the delay! Added the new double play box to the guide. Thanks so much whitelite. :n64:
Posted Image

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakhurst/video-games/nintendo-64/1150037836

Not belonging to this list but someone here might be interested in these pics! showing an extra controller addition to pokemon set in Australia.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Wow never seen that before. The version with the VHS as well! Man some kid would have been spoiled to receive this package back in the day!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: