Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
DL's SOLID Controller list
Topic Started: Jul 20 2015, 11:03 AM (1,973 Views)
DarkLink
Member Avatar
Hi guys,

When I started collecting controllers I focused on the „rarer“ versions first. Now that I am slowly reaching completion I realized it might make sense to start collecting the 6 solid controllers. When I started searching I came across quite a few different Box Variations and I was very surprised just how much there are.

As you might have guessed I’m a fan of box variations. Long story short - I wouldn’t be myself if I hadn’t decided to collect all solid controller box variations out there. It’s pretty specific but I will start a comprehensive list of all the solid controllers. Happy for any contributions :D

I will always provide an example picture. So here is what we have found so far:

Germany - NOE - The German versions are in German language on the front cover

Spoiler: click to toggle

Italy - ITA - The Italian versions are in Italian language on the front cover and have the „GiG Logo“

Spain - ESP English text on front cover - Spanish text on side sleeve

Brazil - ??? - The Brazilian versions are in Brazilian language on the front cover

United Kingdom - UKV - The UK versions are in English Language and have a BLACK side cover

United States - USA - The US versions are in English language and have a WHITE side cover

Scandinavia - SCN - Finish, Swedish and Danish or Norwegian? on front cover

Australia - AUS - Same Box as UK version but states "Distributed by Nintendo Australia"

Japan - Japanese language on front cover - also different design

Hong Kong - Same design as Japanese Versions but in English language

COLABORATION VERSIONS

3 Language EU Box - FHE - French, Spanish and Dutch on front cover (orange text color)

Germany and France - FRG - German and French language on front cover

France and Netherlands - FAH - French and Dutch language on front cover

EU 4 Box - NOE - Controller / Manette on front cover and 4 languages (German, French, Dutch and Spanish on the red side sleeve.) These come in different text colors on the sleeve.

EU 6 Box - NOE - Only „Controller“ on the front cover and 6 languages (English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish and Italian on the side sleeve. 2 found so far.

Edited by DarkLink, Oct 30 2015, 04:20 AM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Wow, 9 variants already?? Nice work. And that's not even counting the Japanese future-art hang tab boxes (and any other variants it may have had).

Posted Image
Wonder if there were any Australia variants, too.

Sure many folks here will enjoy this topic.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Awesome start to the guide! Any explanation for why the Italian boxes have a GIG Electronics emblem on them?
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Rocky
Jul 20 2015, 11:47 AM
Awesome start to the guide! Any explanation for why the Italian boxes have a GIG Electronics emblem on them?
Thanks!

In some countries specific companies...
- mostly buy the exclusive distribution rights (Italy)
- get forced buy the political system, market trade or copyright issues (Korea - Comboy)
- rarely are able to covince the manufacturer to choose their company, cause they are the only ones that can do the job right. For example if the infrastructure of the county is bad, the demographics are difficult etc.
- act as a monopolist as there is only one major distributor, therefore thay have very strong negotiation power (This may or may not be the case with Bargsala)

In return they print there logo on the products for the marketing effect, get shares etc.
In the case of GiG Electronics, there logo is on every game, Controller and console released in Italy.
Edited by DarkLink, Jul 20 2015, 01:17 PM.

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Yeah all of these numerous company handling distribution is the main reason for the differing boxes across Europe. Namely THE Games Ltd for the UK, GIG for Italy and Bergsala for Scandinavia.

The European controllers were initally released in 5 types; UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA and SCN, all these have copyrights of 1997 on the boxes. Then came the EU4 releases, copyrighted 1999. Although the EU6 boxes are also copyrighted 1999, I believe they came out very late in the system's lifespan and as such are the hardest to find. In 2001 Nintendo UK was set up to handle the distribution there and take over from THE, so maybe this is where the EU6 boxes come from.

I know this list is only for the original 6 solid colours but it's worth noting that Clear Purple also is available as EU4, and Clear Blue is always EU6. Here's a couple of proof photos to fill in some gaps:

EU4 - Grey
Posted Image

EU6 - Black
Posted Image

Yes, Australia did indeed get their own AUS version of these 6 boxes. Also if you wish to include Asian variants, the Hong Kong releases feature the Japanese artwork but English text:
Posted Image

Good luck on your quest to catch them all :yeah:
Edited by danilochka, Jul 20 2015, 02:33 PM.
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Fascinating! Thanks for putting in the work to compile this list. It's cool to have all the variants in one place to be able to compare.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
danilochka
Jul 20 2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:

Posted Image

Good luck on your quest to catch them all :yeah:

This is by FAR my favorite.
I like to know exactly what the contents are before i open it! X_D

Beautiful!
:wub:
Edited by No64DD, Jul 20 2015, 11:39 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Thanks for updating bluedog, I have yet to find a good Austrlian picture though.

Hey, cool information danilochka! Like always :D That is indded very interesting.
Do you know what UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA and SCN stand for?
I'll add alle the new ones to the list when I find time this week.
Edited by DarkLink, Jul 21 2015, 09:58 AM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
So many?! Holy Shi..pancakes It is so weird to see a Japanese box with English text!

and about:
UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA, SCN:

Posted Image

Can`t find the FHE but could not be far off, ... Family Home Evening? :D
Edited by Vinyl, Jul 21 2015, 01:52 PM.
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Haha yeah sorry, those code can be found at the end of the box tabs.

UKV = United Kingdom
AUS = Australia
NOE = Germany (Nintendo of Europe)
ITA = Italy
SCN = Scandinavia
FHE = France, Netherlands and Spain

Note: The last one is a combination of FRA (France), HOL (Netherlands) and ESP (Spain).

The AUS boxes are very similar in design to the UKV ones, including the black text on the side, but if you read the small print on the back (near the bottom-left) you can see it says Distributed by Nintendo Australia:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Thanks for the explinations guys! The code system is pretty interesting.

I have added
- the Japanese Version
- the Hong Kong Version
- The Australian Version

I have also added the pictures to the list.
Did we get them all now? :D

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Exiting News today: I found a new Archetype of Controller today. It's in French and Dutch and looks different to the other controller boxes, since all the Data is on the side as suppose to the back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also the lash inside says FAH - No idea what ot stands for (Frankreich - ??? - Holland) Maybe Austria?

Posted Image
Edited by DarkLink, Aug 23 2015, 03:14 AM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Well spotted and congradz on the purchase!!

FAH, when I read on the front is say "Green controller" in French and Dutch, so I think
FAH = France And Holland

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
Nice find Darklink Keep up the good work.ack

i have found black controller 3 language variety
Edited by Boomdiers, Aug 23 2015, 05:07 AM.
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Yeah, thanks for setting up that trade Vinyl. Aprreciate it :D
I think your probably right. It's just strange cause some people in the Holland speak French, but in France only a tiny minority speaks Dutch.
Anyway, another Set to complete :)

@Boomdiers, thanks for the image. I will add it soonish :)

Inattentive
Member Avatar
Established Member
DarkLink
Aug 23 2015, 06:07 AM
Yeah, thanks for setting up that trade Vinyl. Aprreciate it :D
I think your probably right. It's just strange cause some people in the Holland speak French, but in France only a tiny minority speaks Dutch.
Anyway, another Set to complete :)

@Boomdiers, thanks for the image. I will add it soonish :)
Maybe a small thought about the FAH releases.
Remember that Belgium has a French and Dutch speaking side.

Was probably meant to cut back in distribution costs and logistics.
These are also the only boxes you would have found in our stores.

But what saddens me (due the fact I'm Belgian), is that our German-community was left out of this.
Makes me wonder if there arn't any German/Dutch/French Released boxes? Controller or Console.
Retro games are made to last. Hard to play and a you need to use your mind.
Today, it just seems you need a big wallet to finish a game.

- Looking for blisters. Contact me!

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Vinyl is correct, FAH does stand for France and Holland and is a very common code used for Nintendo games. As Inattentive suggests it is done to cut down on costs, so they can use the same packaging for sale in France and Benelux regions.

After seeing this post I looked on my computer and found I had some old files detailing the FAH controllers, not sure how I missed it first time. I can confirm that 5 of 6 exist, I'm just missing the grey controller. I've then spent the rest of the day looking for more and I've discovered two new versions.

First up is a Spanish only release, these boxes look the same as the UK releases but the text in the red side panel is in Spanish, very easy to miss. I've not seen the back of the box but I presume it's in Spanish with an ESP tab code. This would mean that there were initially separate FAH & ESP releases before becoming combined into FHE. So far I've only found the green one but I would assume the others exist too:
Posted Image

Next up is something completely different, a French & German controller coded FRG, used for sale in Austria & Switzerland. I managed to find 2 of these, grey and green which would imply the other 4 colours are also available.
Posted Image

I've also managed to find all 6 of the EUR coded boxes with four languages on the back. Despite just having 4 languages the distribution small print reveals it's actually a combination of all of the above, used for sale in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium/Luxembourg and Spain. This helps with the timeline of releases, as Clear Purple is only available in this version within mainland Europe whereas the UK and Scandinavia got their own releases, and was unreleased in Italy.

As I said before the EU6 (code unconfirmed) boxes were the last ones to be released, they have six languages as they now incorporate English and Italian which continues with the cost cutting progression. Sadly I've not found anymore of these since my last post. In fact there are still a few PAL boxed controllers I've yet to confirm exist, here's what I'm missing plus what it should say on the front of the box:

Edit: I'll cross them off as I find them.

Australian [AUS]
-Grey (Grey Controller)

French & Dutch [FAH]
-Grey (Manette Grise / Grijze Controller)

German & French [FRG]
-Black (Schwarzer Controller / Manette Noire)
-Blue (Blauer Controller / Manette Bleue)
-Red (Roter Controller / Manette Rouge)
-Yellow (Gelber Controller / Manette Jaune)

Spanish [ESP]
-Black (Black Controller)
-Blue (Blue Controller)
-Grey (Grey Controller)
-Red (Red Controller)
-Yellow (Yellow Controller)
Edited by danilochka, Mar 5 2016, 12:07 PM.
Posted Image

KelamyAUS
Member Avatar
There are Australian released boxed grey controllers. I dont own one to post any photos, but I will keep a look for some photos to add to the list.
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
That's amazing news!! :omg:
Thanks everyone for conributing - Danilochka you win the trophee ones again - very nice finds.

I've added the region codes to the titles and edited in the new editions. I would have never guessed there are so many.
We are up to 15 different versions now, not even counting the clear purple and clear blue/white. I might add them soon though.
Edited by DarkLink, Aug 24 2015, 02:56 PM.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
I just realized something...these are my 5 German Controllers I have so far in side view. Can you spot the difference? :D

Posted Image

This means there are 2 diefferent sets?

Cabanon
Elite
open the flap. there's a number. if either one of those have a NOE-1 at the end, then yes there's a revision !

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Found a very exotic one today: LINK

From the front it is a normal German Solid Yellow. BUT the backside is EU4.
That's unique cause they normaly have 4 Languages on the side sleeve, this one has not.
Unfortunetely I didn't win it :(

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise, the product code above the barcode on the back is NUS A CSP, which is for the Clear Purple controller. So I dig a little digging and sure enough the same seller had one of those for sale earlier. I guess he got his pictures mixed up for this auction.
Edited by danilochka, Sep 6 2015, 04:39 PM.
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
I finally found a grey EU4 Version.

Posted Image

I am still missing the green one now, but I was looking forward to posting this after winning the final green controller auction: It was sitting right here

Unfortunately, I was outbid by some insane guy who wanted that console and bid rediculesly high. I asked the seller if he could ask him to sell the controller to me for 50 bucks, but he refused.
Edited by DarkLink, Nov 22 2015, 04:46 PM.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Update: Nailed it :D

A complete EU-4 Set:
Posted Image
Edited by DarkLink, Nov 22 2015, 04:47 PM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Incredible Darlink! What else you need now? :O

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
This is my first Spanish Variation, these are INCREDIBELY hard to spot and additionally seem to be super rare.
Only thanks to our superbrain Danilochka I even knew about them.

Why? Well it just says "Yellow Controller" in English but the text on the side is Spanish.
Not an easy shot with eBay pics mostly beeing to small to really see the white text.

Posted Image
Posted Image

But as you can see from the ESP Code, they are exclusive to Spain. And the lash is PINK! :birdo:
Also the yellow one is newly spottet.

Posted Image
Edited by DarkLink, Feb 12 2016, 05:07 PM.

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Wow, great find there mate and yet another discovery to tick off the list!

There's a little trick I use to try and spot these by looking at the red side panel. The spanish boxes have an entire top line of writing "MANDO DE CONTROL DE", followed by simply "N64" on the second line. Even if the image is too small to read the words, no other controller boxes have this pattern.

Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Wow, that's a great tip. Thanks man!

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Mhh, where to start. This will be a lenghthy post about a topic that only 2% of you are interested in so your welcome :D

First of I have managed to obtain at least one of every solid controller variation (Excluding the Hong Kong one but bear with me)
So that's reason enough to update this a little.

1. I think I found out why we have only found 2 of the EU6 controllers so far danilochka. These were released closest to the end of the N64 lifespan and are therefore the rarest. I was always wondering why I could only ever find black and blue until obtained one yesterday.

This is the front of the controller:
Posted Image

And this is the side: TADAAA there are only 2 controllers on the side
Posted Image

Compare this to the side of the EU4 Controller, which had all 6 colors you can see what I'm getting at
Posted Image

It is very likely that there are only the 2 of them.

2. I have realised that all Countries have a different colored code embedding.

EU4 - MAROON
Posted Image

EU6 - ALSO MAROON
Posted Image

UK - GREEN
Posted Image

ITALY - BLUE
Posted Image

FHE - RED
Posted Image

SCANDINAVIA - YELLOW
Posted Image

FAH - ORANGE
Posted Image

AUSTRALIA - BROWN
Posted Image

GERMANY - PURPLE
Posted Image

FRG - LIGHTBLUE
Posted Image

USA - NO COLOR
Posted Image

These color shemes are consistant which is another interesting fact I at least was unawear of until now.

3. This brings me to the Clear Purple Controllers, that finally have to find honorable mentions here.
Reason beeing is that they are actually considered "solid controllers" if you take into account the coding and release dates.

Here are in order top left to bottom right: EU4, UK, SCN, AUS, USA normal, USA not for resale
All of these follow the same color and coding scheme as their solid counterparts.
(Sidenote: The Clear Blue/White released all over Europe is a EU6)
Posted Image

4. Lastly almost all of these controllers have revisions. Some of them up to 3 revisions. I'm not caring to much about the revisions at the moment, but essentially the general appearence and text etc. is the same, though they have slight graphic changes, like a additional controller Pak Image and stuff like that.

5. I'm still aiming to complete a full set of every solid controller, and since this whole project went completely overbord already I will leave you with a nutty Imgage of all of them so far, enjoy :D

Posted Image

Edited by DarkLink, Feb 24 2016, 06:14 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: