Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
DL's SOLID Controller list
Topic Started: Jul 20 2015, 11:03 AM (2,406 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Very nice work DL... keep it up!

Where are you currently regarding your Hong Kong variants? I have a HK green box (this is the only one that I have, acquired a long time ago through an eBay auction I think):

Posted Image
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
DarkLink
Feb 24 2016, 06:06 PM
Posted Image

Woah. The colors man! ...the colors.

Well, if you think you may have any controllers that are MADE IN JAPAN, no hurry. :lol:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
First off mate, that's one hell of a lovely collection of controller boxes! :wub:

Being one of the 2% that cares, that is some great discovery about the EU6 controllers. After seeing this post I noticed that the same thing is used on the left side of the Clear Blue Pal Controller box, implying that they came out around the same time back in 2001. Why only Black and Blue? Perhaps they were the best sellers and Nintendo didn't want to make things that wouldn't sell at the end of the console's life? One curious thing however is the tab codes, I see Blue is EUR-2 but do you own the Black one as well? I have already seen a Black EUR-2 and that was for an EU4 box, so I'm guessing the EU6 version is coded EUR-3?

Speaking of tab codes, that leads me to your second point about the colour coding. Yes, this is a thing Nintendo does in the Pal regions, it's used on consoles, accessories and the games themselves and it's not just N64 but with their other consoles too. For example with the GameCube they appearas triangles on the bottom of the game's spine. Here's some of the known ones:

Posted Image

As for revisions, I've been working on documenting all of these since you started this thread, I'm making some progress but obviously struggling when it comes to the Spanish [ESP] and the Swiss/Austrian [FRG] controllers. I'll let you know when my list is closer to being complete.

Best of luck with finishing the set and I'm sure this thread will become a vital resource for collectors in the future!
Edited by danilochka, Feb 25 2016, 01:32 PM.
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
@ddr2nite:
Nice find on that one! Like I mentioned in my previous post I have actually not been fortunate enough to find one of these yet. Similar to Korea, online-selling infrastructure in China is still very poor, so I have a hunch, that these might be obtainable locally still, so I'm looking forward to my next Hong Kong visit.

@No64DD:
I'll get to it! I'll make an educated guess, that all of the EU Controllers are made in China.

@danilochka:
Yeah, this post was for everybody of course, but when I was writing it I kinda had you in mind :D Thanks for the flowers.
I do not have the black version yet. I have seen it once in Spain in eye-wrecking condition and one in Germany NIB for like 180 lol
I thought the same way about the black and blue at first, but then it occured to me that it might be the exact other way around. What if these two were selling the poorest, and they made a last EU-wide release effort to get rid of them.
However, I made some stats and although this is not very scientific the black and blue are actually more common than red and grey for example, so that speaks more for your theory.

We will find out about the coding as soon as I get hold of one I guess. The revisions are driving me nuts, mainly because I do not completely understand the system yet, so I really appreciate you effort :D

I was kinda expecting the color coding is not new to you, but I though it was a nice detail somehow.

Edited by DarkLink, Feb 25 2016, 01:26 PM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Small update since I found out something new this week concerning the EU6 Controller.
For reference, that is the one that has 6 languages on the side and only states "Controller"

But today I found this. Clearly there were to different EU6 packaging variations:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I do not know alot about revisions, but it is intersting to see that the -2 revision is younger than the -3 revision.
Although the numbers would suggest it would be the other way arround the -3 still had english and french controller (manette) on the front while the -2 only had the more generic english "Constroller"

Posted Image

How do I know 3 is younger? Check this out, it is actually the only solid controller I have, that comes with a internet address on the box.

The -2 Revision
Posted Image

The -3 Revision
Posted Image

If you take into account that almost all N64 items had these "postal send in cards", I think it is quite amazing that there is actually a N64 items with an Internet address this early. I'm susspecting these were issued at the very last in 1999.

So I went through all of my controllers to check and tadaa. There is actually one other one with the Website: The Clear Blue/ White, that is also considered a EU6:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And now for the grand final: Last time we found out that the reason why we only see black and blue ones is that there are probably only black and blue ones because those are the only colors mentioned on the side of the Box. I never realized this before but check out the side of the Clear Blue/White:

Posted Image

This leads me to the speculation that towards of the end of the N64 Lifespan only Blue, Black and Clear Blue /White were made. Why? I dunno :D

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Very interesting findings mate!

There was a Clear Blue Controller / Manette version as well, which also is missing the website address from the back of the box:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Which makes this all the more stranger because my research leads me to believe that this controller wasn't released until 2001!

I'll see if I can look into this some more and let you know if I find anything
Edited by danilochka, May 19 2016, 09:41 AM.
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Oh cool that's awesome! Now I need that one :D
Wow 2001? That's crazy late but more likely I agree.

And yes, that with the website is a little confusing to me.
Might be Garmany only. Maybe Controllers were still selling well here in comparison to other coutries?
Edited by DarkLink, May 19 2016, 09:43 AM.

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Has a black/grey controller ever been released? I recently got a loose N64 and it came with a controller, black front and grey back. Could be a homemade swap/replacement but I wanted to ask you guys first. The grey back says 'NUS-005 MADE IN JAPAN', so I suppose it's an early controller.

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Tyree_Cooper
Jul 9 2016, 04:22 AM
Has a black/grey controller ever been released? I recently got a loose N64 and it came with a controller, black front and grey back. Could be a homemade swap/replacement but I wanted to ask you guys first. The grey back says 'NUS-005 MADE IN JAPAN', so I suppose it's an early controller.
Yes a black Grey controller does exist. It either comes with Japanese mario kart or you can buy it separately boxed. This was only sold in Japan I believe. You can probably find a few on eBay.

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ah! It's the one from the large Mario Kart 64 package, I always thought it was completely black. Thanks~

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Hi guys, I'm sorry I am not very active here at the moment but I still want to share great controller news with you.
I found a Taiwanese version of the N64 controller. It is similar to the Japanese packaging style but it is all in Chinese.
So crazy to see this now after all this time. Oh yeah and it is made in Japan not in China, which is rare. Also what does ROC stand for?

Posted Image

You can see more images and a comparison to the Japanese Box on consolevariations.com
Edited by DarkLink, Sep 28 2017, 12:39 PM.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
DarkLink
Sep 28 2017, 12:36 PM
Also what does ROC stand for?
It stands for Republic of China which is in reference to the country of Taiwan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan)

Pretty cool box variation. Where did you obtain it?
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Sry late reply. It was found in the wild in a Taiwanese Tech / Thrift Store in Taipeh

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: