Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DL's SOLID Controller list
Topic Started: Jul 20 2015, 11:03 AM (1,980 Views)
danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Yeah all of these numerous company handling distribution is the main reason for the differing boxes across Europe. Namely THE Games Ltd for the UK, GIG for Italy and Bergsala for Scandinavia.

The European controllers were initally released in 5 types; UKV, NOE, FHE, ITA and SCN, all these have copyrights of 1997 on the boxes. Then came the EU4 releases, copyrighted 1999. Although the EU6 boxes are also copyrighted 1999, I believe they came out very late in the system's lifespan and as such are the hardest to find. In 2001 Nintendo UK was set up to handle the distribution there and take over from THE, so maybe this is where the EU6 boxes come from.

I know this list is only for the original 6 solid colours but it's worth noting that Clear Purple also is available as EU4, and Clear Blue is always EU6. Here's a couple of proof photos to fill in some gaps:

EU4 - Grey
Posted Image

EU6 - Black
Posted Image

Yes, Australia did indeed get their own AUS version of these 6 boxes. Also if you wish to include Asian variants, the Hong Kong releases feature the Japanese artwork but English text:
Posted Image

Good luck on your quest to catch them all :yeah:
Edited by danilochka, Jul 20 2015, 02:33 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Haha yeah sorry, those code can be found at the end of the box tabs.

UKV = United Kingdom
AUS = Australia
NOE = Germany (Nintendo of Europe)
ITA = Italy
SCN = Scandinavia
FHE = France, Netherlands and Spain

Note: The last one is a combination of FRA (France), HOL (Netherlands) and ESP (Spain).

The AUS boxes are very similar in design to the UKV ones, including the black text on the side, but if you read the small print on the back (near the bottom-left) you can see it says Distributed by Nintendo Australia:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Vinyl is correct, FAH does stand for France and Holland and is a very common code used for Nintendo games. As Inattentive suggests it is done to cut down on costs, so they can use the same packaging for sale in France and Benelux regions.

After seeing this post I looked on my computer and found I had some old files detailing the FAH controllers, not sure how I missed it first time. I can confirm that 5 of 6 exist, I'm just missing the grey controller. I've then spent the rest of the day looking for more and I've discovered two new versions.

First up is a Spanish only release, these boxes look the same as the UK releases but the text in the red side panel is in Spanish, very easy to miss. I've not seen the back of the box but I presume it's in Spanish with an ESP tab code. This would mean that there were initially separate FAH & ESP releases before becoming combined into FHE. So far I've only found the green one but I would assume the others exist too:
Posted Image

Next up is something completely different, a French & German controller coded FRG, used for sale in Austria & Switzerland. I managed to find 2 of these, grey and green which would imply the other 4 colours are also available.
Posted Image

I've also managed to find all 6 of the EUR coded boxes with four languages on the back. Despite just having 4 languages the distribution small print reveals it's actually a combination of all of the above, used for sale in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium/Luxembourg and Spain. This helps with the timeline of releases, as Clear Purple is only available in this version within mainland Europe whereas the UK and Scandinavia got their own releases, and was unreleased in Italy.

As I said before the EU6 (code unconfirmed) boxes were the last ones to be released, they have six languages as they now incorporate English and Italian which continues with the cost cutting progression. Sadly I've not found anymore of these since my last post. In fact there are still a few PAL boxed controllers I've yet to confirm exist, here's what I'm missing plus what it should say on the front of the box:

Edit: I'll cross them off as I find them.

Australian [AUS]
-Grey (Grey Controller)

French & Dutch [FAH]
-Grey (Manette Grise / Grijze Controller)

German & French [FRG]
-Black (Schwarzer Controller / Manette Noire)
-Blue (Blauer Controller / Manette Bleue)
-Red (Roter Controller / Manette Rouge)
-Yellow (Gelber Controller / Manette Jaune)

Spanish [ESP]
-Black (Black Controller)
-Blue (Blue Controller)
-Grey (Grey Controller)
-Red (Red Controller)
-Yellow (Yellow Controller)
Edited by danilochka, Mar 5 2016, 12:07 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise, the product code above the barcode on the back is NUS A CSP, which is for the Clear Purple controller. So I dig a little digging and sure enough the same seller had one of those for sale earlier. I guess he got his pictures mixed up for this auction.
Edited by danilochka, Sep 6 2015, 04:39 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Wow, great find there mate and yet another discovery to tick off the list!

There's a little trick I use to try and spot these by looking at the red side panel. The spanish boxes have an entire top line of writing "MANDO DE CONTROL DE", followed by simply "N64" on the second line. Even if the image is too small to read the words, no other controller boxes have this pattern.

Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
First off mate, that's one hell of a lovely collection of controller boxes! :wub:

Being one of the 2% that cares, that is some great discovery about the EU6 controllers. After seeing this post I noticed that the same thing is used on the left side of the Clear Blue Pal Controller box, implying that they came out around the same time back in 2001. Why only Black and Blue? Perhaps they were the best sellers and Nintendo didn't want to make things that wouldn't sell at the end of the console's life? One curious thing however is the tab codes, I see Blue is EUR-2 but do you own the Black one as well? I have already seen a Black EUR-2 and that was for an EU4 box, so I'm guessing the EU6 version is coded EUR-3?

Speaking of tab codes, that leads me to your second point about the colour coding. Yes, this is a thing Nintendo does in the Pal regions, it's used on consoles, accessories and the games themselves and it's not just N64 but with their other consoles too. For example with the GameCube they appearas triangles on the bottom of the game's spine. Here's some of the known ones:

Posted Image

As for revisions, I've been working on documenting all of these since you started this thread, I'm making some progress but obviously struggling when it comes to the Spanish [ESP] and the Swiss/Austrian [FRG] controllers. I'll let you know when my list is closer to being complete.

Best of luck with finishing the set and I'm sure this thread will become a vital resource for collectors in the future!
Edited by danilochka, Feb 25 2016, 01:32 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Very interesting findings mate!

There was a Clear Blue Controller / Manette version as well, which also is missing the website address from the back of the box:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Which makes this all the more stranger because my research leads me to believe that this controller wasn't released until 2001!

I'll see if I can look into this some more and let you know if I find anything
Edited by danilochka, May 19 2016, 09:41 AM.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply