Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
World Driver Championship; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 3 2015, 10:47 AM (1,672 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
After many nominations and close losses, WDC if finally our winner. I haven't ever played it, but have noticed it has a good following on here :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Floorcat's #1 fave racing game on the Nintendo 64!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Sorry, MK64, DKR, WipEout 64, and BDR (for Ep. 1 Racer). :phear:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Man I love this game so much. Once you've gotten familiar with the tracks, it really feels like you're pushing the cars to their absolute limits. I remember on the Rome course there was a sweeping flat high speed curve. Too fast and you'd overshoot the exit, but when you hit it and held just the right speed your car would stick and you felt like you were really going **** to the wall! So satisfying.
Edited by kartmaster, Aug 3 2015, 01:54 PM.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
One of my favourite racing games ever. Finally it won (I nominated it :D).
Graphically is fantastic, I spent hours watching my races' replays just to admire the clean graphics with fantastic places, lens flares, reflexes, etc.
Once you're good in driving, WDC becomes very addictive. Initially can seem that cars are slow and heavy, but when you reach better teams cars are fantastic to drive. When you learn the tracks it's very rewarding complete full laps without making mistakes and win the races.
The best thing are the two final races of the GT2 and GT1. I remember that before those, I used to restart the race until I found my favourite soundtrack.
Edited by italia64, Jun 27 2016, 08:26 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I definitely will give this a whirl. I love me some N64 racers (though I'm sure it pales in comparison with SWE1R :lol: )
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
It's surely my favourite N64 racing games with cars, and in my N64 racing games top three with F-Zero X and DKR. Added to the fact that N64 has racing games like SWE1R, Mario Kart 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race 64, Excitebike 64, F1 WGP2, Wipeout 64, San Francisco Rush 2049, etc...tells much about how much WDC is an incredible good game.

For people who don't know it I advice to watch this video on 480p (there is also my favourite soundtrack of the game). Is not good like it looks on CRT but you can make an idea about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN9r8gzI7bA

I paste here these IGN words ( http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/05/28/world-driver-championship-2 ):

"Share. Three new super-sized movies show off Boss' beautiful GT racer in its final form.
BY IGN STAFFWith most racing games on the N64 taking the high-flying arcade approach to the genre, gamers looking for a driving simulator akin to Sony's Gran Turismo had to make do with either NASCAR or Formula 1-themed titles -- until now.

Features

Team/sponsor-based racing.
Championship, Arcade Race, Time Attack and Training modes.
More than 30 different cars.
10 tracks with three variations each.
20 different racing events, ranging from multi-track championships to endurance races.
Realistic physics model with four-point suspension system.
Ability to race all tracks backwards.
"Ghost" races.
Distinct engine noises for all cars (for both inside and outside the car views).
Automatic and manual transmissions.
Detailed polygonal track graphics and car models.
Reflection mapping and real-time lighting effects.
Standard and hi-res letterbox modes.
Replay mode plays back the whole race and replays can even be saved to the Controller Pak.
Steering wheel, Controller Pak and Rumble Pak support.

The Game
While it has a lot in common with Gran Turismo, World Driver Championship from Top Gear Rally developer Boss Game Studios and publisher Midway is a completely different game with a consequently different physics engine and overall approach. Instead of focusing on car customization and garage work, World Driver's Championship mode casts players in the role of a career driver, out to get his hands on the coolest ride under the sun and go into the record books as the best racer ever.

Players enter their names and are immediately debriefed by two racing teams, Khor and Speedcraft -- both want you to take their cars to victory. It's up to you whether you want to go with a '96 Rage 512 (a Porsche 911 lookalike) or a '97 Stallion SR C (looks like a Ford Mustang). At this point, you can also check out some of the other racing teams, like Viewpoint, Reeds, Eurospec, Totalsport or Elite and look at their cars. However, since you're an unknown driver, those teams won't even consider you as a choice to drive their precious vehicles.

The game features more than 30 different cars, each with their own variations of control, acceleration and overall speed. Depending on what car one is using, control changes significantly. Like in Gran Turismo, you start off with fairly slow cars and need to work yourself up to the faster ones to really get the most out of WDC. Although the game doesn't feature official car licenses, most of the cars in the game are based on real-life GT racers, including those by Ford, Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Dodge, Mercedes, and more.

Once you decide on your car of choice (after a quick test drive, most likely), you join the racing team and enlist in one of the available racing events. In the beginning, only few will be available, but as you progress through the championships and accumulate race points, new challenges will open up, including Drivers Challenge cups or endurance races. A qualification round before the actual races determines the player's start position on the grid.

The different events are made up of up to six of the 10 tracks in the game. Although World Driver's 10 completely distinct courses is already more than most Nintendo 64 racers out there have to offer, Boss also created three variations of each track and even lets you race them backwards. The following tracks are in the game:

Les Gets: A sometimes slippery track somewhere in the snowy mountains. Patches of fog make judging the road ahead more difficult.
Hawaii: A curvy track on the tropical island, set under a beautiful evening sky.
Las Vegas: A night race through the streets and tunnels of Las Vegas. Neon galore.
New Zealand: Fast speed track in the fall countryside of New Zealand.
Lisbon: The early morning sun will occasionally blind drivers on their race through Portugal's capital.
Rome: Race by the Roman ruins and tear up the streets of Italy's premier city.
Sydney: The red hills of Australia are ideal to show all your car's got. A short peek at famous Sydney's opera house is included.
Zurich: A race under Switzerland's blue sky takes you from the historic "Altstadt" right to the airport.
Kyoto: A stormy evening in Japan's ancient city. The twilight makes it hard to see the road far ahead.
Black Forest: Hitch a ride on the Autobahn through Germany's scenic forests. No speed limits here, baby.
The tracks are all filled with miniscule details that other racers miss. One interesting example is a positional fogging system, which really does use fogging only for effect and not to eliminate pop-up. Les Gets, for example, is perfectly clear at points and overcast with a sheet of thin, translucent fog at others. It's a minor detail that makes a big difference in the realism department. World Driver's Las Vegas track actually looks like Vegas, unlike some other... cough... racers. Huge skyscrapers and glitzy lights fill the scene. Kyoto features dark, gloomy clouds and a very stylized, yet realistic backdrop. Other levels feature sunsets with one of the most impressive lens-flares we've seen to date and certainly the best yet for Nintendo 64.

There is no denying that World Driver looks stunning and, most surprising of all, it does not even need the 4MB Expansion Pak. Instead, the game runs in two different resolutions depending on preference. A 320x240 mode is, of course, the standard, but the game can also be played in a hi-res letterbox mode, which looks spectacular.

Vehicle models have a high poly-count and look just as good if not considerably better than those in Gran Turismo. Even better, eight of them are on track at the same time instead of GT's four. Each model boasts reflection mapping, real-time light-sourcing and four-point physics for tire suspension. To really show off the cars and tracks in all their glory, Boss added an amazing replay mode (up to 15 laps can be cached and even saved to a controller pak!). Dynamic cameras follow the car as it makes its laps and creates the most cinematic replays yet. One of our favorite cameras shoots the vehicle from a slanted angle so that it looks as if it's driving straight up (or down) a street. Another camera pans by the vehicle going to the opposite direction so that the car appears to be accelerating at twice its normal speed. Brilliant.

The racing in World Driver Championship isn't the same outrageous no-brakes fun of say, Beetle Adventure Racing or Top Gear Overdrive. Instead, players must watch their speeds when going into sharp curves and downshift to make it through without losing too much speed. If you go too fast, the car will naturally begin to slide. It's up to the player to keep things under control and -- especially for beginners -- it's not as easy as one might think it would be.

As mentioned above, successful drivers will soon be approached by other racing teams, who use their better cars to bribe them to switch sides. Interestingly, there will also be a loyalty bonus where drivers who stick with one team will eventually be rewarded with better cars as well. This makes for a much longer gaming experience than most other racers out there.

In case you're looking for quick frills, Boss also included a Quick Race mode, Time Trials, as well as Training races. There is also a two-player versus mode in which you can match your skills with a friend.

Outlook
Boss and Midway sent us the latest rev of this gorgeous racing game -- and we've been playing it almost non-stop. The idea behind WDC was to create a racer that would offer much more depth and gameplay than any other N64 racer on the market, and judging from the unfinished game, Boss has succeeded. Boss is still tweaking the control (some cars still slide too much) and adjusting the physics and handling for some of the upper vehicles, but the game is already a lot of fun to play. While it doesn't have the car variety and garage work as Sony's racing benchmark Gran Turismo, WDC already eclipses the PSX racer graphically with its lack of pixelation and higher track detail. The battle for best N64 racing game of the year is on -- and World Driver Championship is definitely our top contender. This game is going to rock!"
Edited by italia64, Aug 4 2015, 10:51 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
I gave WCD a whirl. Certainly a very ambitious and in-depth title, esp. for a racing game of that vintage.

At the entry level (c class), the handling is not great, but that is the story with many N64 racers...the better vehicles come later.

Also, the speed of the thirs person view is very unimpressive. My cars feels like a "komani bullet". But this is not really a fair criticism either, because the first person view moves faster. Of course, you'll wish our car had whiskers, because the side hit detection is something one must adjust to when racing in the first person view. And I'm sure the higher class vehicles move faster.

In many respects, this game is like one of my personal favorite N64 racers, Roadsters. Career mode, level of realistic racing, better vehicles as you go, etc. but WDC lacks the one thing I most value in N64 games, and that is a sense of the whimsicle. WDC is a sim, and I'd just rather play a racer with more un-realism because I find them more fun. Still, WDC looks to be a solid title that I hope to play through one day.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Man I shared more of your impressions the first time I played the game.
WDC is a game who need to be discovered step by step. In fact all the cars have a completely different behaviour, the first cars are bad so you can appreciate the newer cars once you go deeply in the game.
Once you go in the GT1 speed increase a lot, not to the Star Wars Episode I Racer or Ridge Racer 64 levels but however very good velocity.
I like Roadster but this game is on a different level, not only for the graphics.
I'm sure that if you decide to finish the game one day you will change idea ;) every people who I know who beaten the game love it, or maybe it's a game that you have to love for beat it eheh.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
italia64
Aug 13 2015, 04:18 AM
WDC is a game who need to be discovered step by step.
True of so many N64 games, which, I think it is fair to say, were marketed at a time where a family might get one or two new games per birthday/holiday. You bought it; you played it; there was no "backlog". Renting and friend-loaners were around I suppose, but there was no eBay hawking games (even new ones) for pennies on the dollar.

I will definitely have to give WDC another go. A little help requested: what car/team would you recommend at the C level? I liked the Porsche (Spain?); hated the supposedly faster Lotus (Italy, curiously).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I totally agree man ;-)

Well if I don't remember wrong in the beginning you can choose only the "Mustang" (very bad) and the "Porsche" (a bit better), the Lotus have to be unlocked right? Well I used to start to love the game driving the Lotus but now I don't remember about which of the three levels was the cars that liked me. I'm pretty sure that the best car of the first was the C level of the Elan team. On WDC you always have to try to earn money with a no good car and the season later you have a very good car and you can think about a victory. But it's incredible satisfying arrive on the podium (or win!) at the end of a season with the worst car, but it requires no errors.
You will discover that some apparently good cars are too nervous, too much or too less oversteering, etc. so you will race in difficult seasons but when you'll get the cars that matches with your driving style winning will be piece of cake.
I still remember the last three cars of the game, fantastic cars and very rewarding too drive as you can appreciate their pros, once that you knew all the cons of the other cars.

I don't want to spoiler too much but if you accept the offer of a particularly team on GT2, well another team on GT1 won't make you an offer :-P
I add a curious fact: in the Italian translation the Italian owner of the "Lotus" team speaks the dialect of Rome that in Italy is knew as a vulgar/funny dialect.
Edited by italia64, Aug 13 2015, 04:07 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I found my old topic where I wrote to have beaten WDC in 2013.
Unfortunately I didn't know the Beat 'Em All, maybe I beaten it when it was still unbeaten :angry:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/420579/18/

EDIT: I checked, Slowbird beaten it on 2012 ;)
Edited by italia64, Aug 13 2015, 04:32 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Me playing WDC.
I was a bit out of training and I made an error on the first lap, at the beginning, the rest was quite good.
Sorry about the low quality, I was capturing the CRT with my phone.
By the way the video show how much funny is the game once that you became good.

Edit: video no more available. I uploaded another one very similar.
Edited by italia64, Jul 1 2016, 06:31 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
A better quality video made by me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF0UA3jWPq8
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

iMapleSizzurp
See, this is one of those racing games that I picked up down at the good ol Good Will for like 2 dollars. That being said I also picked up a couple other games with that so when I got home I threw it in the system to make sure it worked (being donated and all).

Playing it for the 20 minutes that I had it in and in between talking to my boyfriend about my finds, I found it kind of hard to control at first, meaning getting used to the sharp turns around the corners and stuff and just found myself putting in one of my other games right away.

Never really gave the game much thought after that, but reading some of you guys are making me rethink the poor turning, in my opinion of course, an try it again.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I remember it as one of the first racing games I ever played where the brakes were actually an important button.
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
kartmaster
Aug 31 2015, 10:32 AM
I remember it as one of the first racing games I ever played where the brakes were actually an important button.

Right! You don't have to press B button for long times but in many turns one, two or three taps on the button are obligatory! You have to learn all the turns and find the best way to keep them with the minimum use of brakes (be very determined in turns entering is fundamental).

@iMapleSizzurp: probably I wrote this yet, but yes, get into this game is not easy. The first time I played I was a bit disappointed, first cars are very slow, heavy, driving them is not rewarding and aren't a beauty for sure.
When I bought this game for the first time I sold it without even beat the first three cups.
Fortunately I gave him a second chance. All the people I know that have beaten it absolutely love it and they all agree saying that discover new GT1 cars and driving them perfectly in the races is one of the most rewarding and satisfying things you may find on the Fun Machine.

See the turn...two tap on the brakes...put across the car...design a perfect trajectory...this game is art :wub:
Edited by italia64, Aug 31 2015, 01:35 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
The great MrKoippa show us how to master this fantastic game.

Great video man!

Watch "World Driver Vhampionship (N64)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/PAZC1uHt-_I
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

MrKoippa
Member Avatar
Retired gamer
edit
Edited by MrKoippa, Feb 6 2016, 09:25 AM.
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Me on Black Forest B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYokv7kIgs
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

TEN64
I wish my screen looked as good as yours Italia64 :(

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
All the GT1 cars in real life

Porsche 911 (996) GT1 - Rage 996 GTR
Posted Image

McLaren F1 GTR (longtail) - McCloud F-Type
Posted Image

Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM - M-K Phantom R
Posted Image

TVR Speed 12 - EXR Mystic
Posted Image

Lister Storm GT1 - Lance Scorcher
Posted Image

Nissan R390 GT1 - Hayai N70
Posted Image

Panoz GTR-1 Esperante - Panzer Batraye GT
Posted Image

Lotus Elise GT1 - Elan Scorpion
Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Jun 26 2016, 04:53 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
And all the GT2 cars in real life

Dodge Viper GTS-R - Ram Venom GTR
Posted Image

Lotus Esprit GT1 - Elan Swift TT
Posted Image

Callaway Corvette LM GT2 - Reeds R12 Manta
Posted Image

TVR Cerbera GT2 - EXR Challenger
Posted Image

Marcos LM600 - Furio LS
Posted Image

Porsche 911 (993) GT2 - Rage 512 Evo
Posted Image

Saleen Ford Mustang S281 - Ellipse Stallion
Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Jun 27 2016, 08:20 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Here's a video of mine using MK Phantom TR on New Zealand A, giving a 20 seconds advantage to the adversaries. Stunning graphics...

https://youtu.be/TtPEsa2jHg4
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Man, they squeezed everything there was to get out of the N64.
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
kartmaster
Jul 1 2016, 07:23 AM
Man, they squeezed everything there was to get out of the N64.
I remember a post written by a WDC programmer where he said that the game pushes more than 300.000 polygons per second. I don't remember which forum was and I can't find the topic. Can someone help me to find it?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply