Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Star Wars Episode 1: Battle for Naboo; Otcober Game of the Month
Topic Started: Oct 5 2015, 02:52 PM (793 Views)
italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
This is a great game.
This is not only the greatest achievement of the entire 5th generation of consoles in fact of draw distance, but it's a great and worthy "sequel" of Rogue Squadron.
The controls are perfect, now you can use also water and ground vehicles (but without changing to much the gameplay from aerial missions).
Star Wars musics are always beauty.
Good variety of vehicles and situations, the gameplay benefits of a incredibly solid frame rate (despite the huge draw distance) too.
The big flaw of this game are the lack of multiplayer and the very poor cutscenes.
Edited by italia64, Oct 5 2015, 06:00 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I contacted the actor Christian Simpson, the man who impersonates Gavyn Sykes "Bravo Six" in Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace, and above all, for us N64 lovers, the main character of Star Wars: Episode 1 - Battle for Naboo.

Incredible, he answered to me and he told me that he still plays the game! It's fantastic read these things :D

I ask him some things about him and the game, I really hope that he will reply to the questions.
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 05:12 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
The actor Christian Simpson replied to my questions. Here's the small interview, he's been very kind :yeah:

1) When you discover that you was the main character of the game? Somebody told you before the release or you discovered it later?
I actually found out a few years after the fact, but it came as quite a nice surprise, and led me to play the game (obviously, wouldn't you?!) ;) . I have been a huge Star Wars fan since childhood, so gaining a character in the movie, and then going on to discover a video game where people all over the world were playing as Gavyn Sykes, was mind-blowing.
You can read more about some of my experiences on the movies themselves at
http://www.starwars.com/news/contributor/csimpson

2) What do you think about the game? What you liked more and what you disliked?
I loved it! I love that free roaming style, and although you're a little constricted, it was wonderful to re-visit Naboo as I had walked on its real sets and held its real props before. It was so realistic and really brought me back to the great 6 weeks I had on the movie itself. The highlight was the space battle, because I knew what role my character played in the saga, and it reminded me of getting into the real ship on the set.
The game filled a crucial plot hole in the movie, as the Star Wars Insider explained here: http://www.starwars.gavynsykes.com/encyclopedia/Gavyn_Sykes_-_StarWars.com_files/shapeimage_5.png
If Sykes (with your help) hadn't destroyed that shield generator at the end of the game, Anakin Skywalker wouldn't have been able to fly inside the ship and slaughter his first aliens. So it can be said that Gavyn Sykes helped create Darth Vader. And for that, I apologize.
But I'm not just in Battle for Naboo. They used my likeness in Star Wars: Galaxies too. If you go to the Keren starport on Naboo, I'll even give you a mission. That game is still available via the SWGEmu project.
There's a lot more about the character at:
http://www.starwars.gavynsykes.com/encyclopedia/Gavyn_Sykes_-_StarWars.com.html
One thing you guys might not know is how they settled upon using me for the video game Battle for Naboo. More is revealed by the developers here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3641089/Star%20Wars%20Starships%20%26%20Vehicles%20Collection%20%2362%20-%20Gavyn%20Sykes%20-%20Full.pdf

3) Are you a skilled Battle for Naboo gamer? Did you earn all the platinum medals?
I played right the way through, and owned an N64 followed by a PC, but I can't say I'm as good at the game as you guys must be. However, give me a real Naboo N-1 Starfighter, and I think I might win ;)
It's been a pleasure doing this interview. May the Force be with you, and thank you for continuing to love Star Wars and Battle for Naboo! I hope you really love the new movie that's coming out. I was lucky enough to see some excerpts and it's stunning.

Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 05:11 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
The actor I interviewed, Christian Simpson, voiced a character in Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens ;)
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 05:11 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
@No64DD
Thanks my friend :wub:

@Buddy1983
Nice to read this. Yes I too prefer Rogue Squadron.
What was your favourite mission?
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 08:12 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply