Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Need help getting Dexdrive to work
Topic Started: Dec 12 2015, 10:44 PM (1,832 Views)
Rocky
Member Avatar
Bump
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Rocky, that happened to me once. It wouldn't read the card until I formatted it on the DexDrive. Then it worked on both the N64 and the DexDrive. Quite the pain since the whole point is NOT to lose data.

I'm not sure how to get around that.

Have you saved anything to these memory cards recently?
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
I wrote a guide for this, and how to get it working on Mac. Consequently, it should work without issues on Windows 7. I think the issue is quite straightforward. The Prolific adapters are absolute garbage.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7427274/1/#new

Above is my short OSX guide to DexDrive.

Here is the adapter is use: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-High-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY

At one point I used the prolific adapter, but it was so bad I just trashed it. Also, the version 2 software available from the below link should work on Win7:

http://legendcup.com/dex/dexdriveupdate.zip

Stardragon
Hi everyone,
I am new here and just hopped in, because I saw Kartmaster got the program started with Win 10. Since the download link isn't available anymore, just one question to you Kartmaster: Did you use a normal installer or did you modified it anyhow? The normal installer doesn't work with actual versions of Win 10. I just hope, you have a modified version.

If you don't: As far as I can say, the problem is only the installer, not the program itself. Otherwise it wouldn't run on some older builds of windows 10. So if anyone could find out were the installer spread all his files and what it changes on the registry, it would be possible to do the copying and changes manually. Maybe someone with right equipment could work it out.

The issue is a real problem to me. Because I don't own so many memory cards fpr N64 and PSX, I saved many files on my PC and can't use them now. :(

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Dang it. I've slept since then. The 16bit vs 32bit installer issue sounds familiar. When I get back to my desk at home I'll look at the installer I used and try to help.

EDIT: Try this for Windows 10. LINK

If memory serves me right, I replaced the 16bit installer with a 32bit one in that package. Unzip completely. Then run the Autorun. Make sure you use Administrator privileges.
Edited by kartmaster, May 16 2016, 08:55 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stardragon
Hey, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Autorun starts the selection interface, but when I choose install, it works short, then it does nothing. After a while it just closes. I can see, it tries to start the setup.exe. I can see the 32-bit setup launcher starting in the processes, but it does nothing. No usage of CPU etc., it just takes some memory. I have to shut it down manually, before I can start again. When I start the setup.exe directly, same problems accure. I testes some compatibility modes, always the same result.

Just before you are asking:
I have installed .NET 3.5 (inludes 2.0 and 3.0) and .Net 4.6
Also I have vcredist in the following versions:
2008 x86
2010 x86 and x64
2012 x86 and x64
2013 x86 and x64

PC is fresh installed. No upgrade, clean install. I found the link with the other setup.exe you provided, same result. :(

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Man. I wish I could figure out what is different about my setup. That file works for me on Win 10 64 bit, and I just ran it again successfully on my work computer (Win 7 64 bit).

Here's a screen of what I have installed. You can also see where I installed the DexPlorer software just today.

Posted Image

I pulled up the registry tree, but I have no idea what to look for.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stardragon
Win 7 works fine every time. I don't have any problems with Dexdrive and Win 7 on 4 computers. It is only a problem with Win 8 and 10. I have a saved program folder from an Win 7 here and copied it to my Win 10. I got the program running, but it couldn't find his index (Yeah, the registry would fix that) and it couldn't find the Dexdrive (Drivers are missing, I guess). That means, it would probably run with Win 10, if we could get the installer to work. Or find out, what it installs everywhere.

Maybe we could work something out. There are programs existing, which scan the registry and can tell you the difference before and after installation. It would require a clean install (Many programs are leaving registry keys after uninstall) for this. One of this programs is regdiff. The installed drivers could be identified and extracted with double driver. All we would need than is an program which could snapshot a whole system and compare it before and after an installation. The Dexdrive programm ha some dll's and I bet some are stored somewhere in the Windows folder. I don't know if a program exists to snapshot a whole system and even if so, Windows is constantly changing some files. So we would get a lot of files which changed during installation and it would be quite some work to check, what is necessary and what not. Yeah, then we could build a script, which works as installer. Hopefully.

However, it would be much easier to get this installer running. But I even don't know what you changed there.

Fisher
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm having trouble with a N64 DexDrive too.
It worked fine on a Win98 VirtualBox's machine once, and asked me to format the memory card.
I agreed to format and waited for about an hour and all that it was doing was to blink the led.
So I pulled out the power supply, disconnected it and after a minute or so tried again, but it just kept blinking and wasn't detected at all anymore.
I even hunted down an old Win98 PC to test it, and got the same results.
Does someone have any idea of what can be happening an how can I solve this weird issue?
Thanks in advance.

Fisher
Finally!!
At first I tought it was the power supply and took some time to find a substitute to it.
Today, I've got an 12v power supply, but instead of 150mA it was 1A.
I plugged and the thing started to work. Great!!

Unfortunatelly, a few seconds working fine and it started to make smoke. :-(
After that, it was dead.
I disassembled it and figured out that a transistor and a resistor have burned, with some part of the board.
The transistor was kind of easy to identify, an S9014.
The resistor unfortunatelly I couldn't find the value.

I took a look ath the circuit, and it looked similar to the oldschool serial mouse, wich got power from the PC serial port through diodes.
It also had a 5v zener on the 9v supply input.
Without a part of the board, restoration guess was difficult, at least to me that am not a technician...
Plugged on the PC and nothing, wich was not a surprise since I was not sure of how the parts should be connected.

So, I build a input circuit with an 78L05 on the small power supply input board and bridged the collector and emiter now dead transistor.
I tried again without a power supply and BINGO! The thing worked!!
Tried the same power supply and it also worked fine.
Aside for the brighter LED I saw no difference at all.
Maybe the power supply is there to satisfy some power hungry thirdy parties memory cards.

I know that's not the best solution, but this probably can help someone else to get their DexDrive working again.
I sincerelly wish that someone with a know good DexDrive can draw at least the power input circuit and share it.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Edited by Fisher, Feb 1 2018, 07:40 PM.

Rocky
Member Avatar
Woah I totally forgot about this haha. I threw my DexDrive in the trash, it was just too infuritating. I'd recommend getting Sanni's cart reader for messing with the controller memory pack. It works on modern systems and it's a million times faster: https://github.com/sanni/cartreader
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: