Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Need help getting Dexdrive to work
Topic Started: Dec 12 2015, 10:44 PM (1,355 Views)
Fisher
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm having trouble with a N64 DexDrive too.
It worked fine on a Win98 VirtualBox's machine once, and asked me to format the memory card.
I agreed to format and waited for about an hour and all that it was doing was to blink the led.
So I pulled out the power supply, disconnected it and after a minute or so tried again, but it just kept blinking and wasn't detected at all anymore.
I even hunted down an old Win98 PC to test it, and got the same results.
Does someone have any idea of what can be happening an how can I solve this weird issue?
Thanks in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fisher
Finally!!
At first I tought it was the power supply and took some time to find a substitute to it.
Today, I've got an 12v power supply, but instead of 150mA it was 1A.
I plugged and the thing started to work. Great!!

Unfortunatelly, a few seconds working fine and it started to make smoke. :-(
After that, it was dead.
I disassembled it and figured out that a transistor and a resistor have burned, with some part of the board.
The transistor was kind of easy to identify, an S9014.
The resistor unfortunatelly I couldn't find the value.

I took a look ath the circuit, and it looked similar to the oldschool serial mouse, wich got power from the PC serial port through diodes.
It also had a 5v zener on the 9v supply input.
Without a part of the board, restoration guess was difficult, at least to me that am not a technician...
Plugged on the PC and nothing, wich was not a surprise since I was not sure of how the parts should be connected.

So, I build a input circuit with an 78L05 on the small power supply input board and bridged the collector and emiter now dead transistor.
I tried again without a power supply and BINGO! The thing worked!!
Tried the same power supply and it also worked fine.
Aside for the brighter LED I saw no difference at all.
Maybe the power supply is there to satisfy some power hungry thirdy parties memory cards.

I know that's not the best solution, but this probably can help someone else to get their DexDrive working again.
I sincerelly wish that someone with a know good DexDrive can draw at least the power input circuit and share it.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Edited by Fisher, Feb 1 2018, 07:40 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply