Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 Ultra HDMI Adapter: Released!!; N64 Console with HDMI Output
Topic Started: May 7 2015, 08:06 PM (4,225 Views)
Rocky
Member Avatar
"Designed by the team behind the 64drive flash cartridge, RetroActive first revealed this upcoming HDMI modification back in February 2014. Originally set to provide the console with a DVI-out port, the modification has since come on leaps and bounds with what appears to be a more tidy installation combined with a new Mini-HDMI out slot instead. By connecting directly to the Reality Coprocessor chip on the system's mainboard, the Ultra HDMI directly captures video output as digital RGB to provide up to 1080p HDMI output with audio...." Read the rest here: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/retroactives-ultra-hdmi-nintendo-64-adapter-coming-soon.html

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlq1AaxngEU
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
The website is really well done, and I love the fact that people create this. Its an great idea!

Before I celebrate this, I also had experience with HDMI-converters/Sharp images/framerate converters and so on , the the thing about this is .
THEY ARE EXPENSIVE,

the best one which is for sale is around 300 usd. which I think I rather have an old tv from the 90s.

https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
great news. ima sure to test it when it comes out with a junk console before attempting on mine

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
The most frequently asked question here is how in the world do I hook up my N64 to an HDTV. Heaven knows, there is no good answer. But soon, there may be.

The Ultra HDMI project seems to be in the home stretch. Its essentially a board and HMDI outlet that gets installed into your N64 console. Yep, soldering and dremeling required. But this looks to be a mod well worth the effort. Check out this episode of My Life in Gaming starting at the 12-minute mark:

You can learn more about the Ultra HDMI project here, and subscribe for updates (a release date and pricing would be swell).

Does this pique your interest?!?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Also worthy of note... our humble forum gets referenced in that video, at the 7:45 mark!! :yeah:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Assassin's Creed: Unity, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Rocky
Member Avatar
I'm so excited for this but at the same time worried about the price! :wub:
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
@Rocky
I don't care about the price! HDMI cables for the 64 is a win! :rofl:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
im :cussfit: interested.

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I actually have been watching their videos alot here recently. I have purchased all of the things they say to get the best picture out of everything. Scart cables, X-RGB Mini etc. I recently got my NES modded for RGB also, so needless to say I have been working on getting the best picture out of all my systems. N64 is the only one giving me problems :P I have an RGB modded one on the way but I believe I will mod my funtastic green N64 with the Ultra HDMI. That seems like the best way to play N64 games without using emulation.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
I have to say that I am a little hyped about this and because I love N64 I think it would be cool that the version actually play on is High End. On the other hand, I never seemed to mind about the Grafics that much I just loved the games. I don't need a filter to make it look like a tube TV, I have a Tube TV! :D

So basically for me this would be pure luxury, I may consider buying one when I see the price.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Love the fact they referenced us, but disappointed they did not listen. Jungle green funtastic is where its at!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sanni
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Oct 26 2015, 12:33 PM
pricing would be swell
What I think, nothing official though, is that pricing is around $130 wholesale per unit + labor costs of the installer + profit margin of the installer + sales tax. So I would guess around $200 all in all ... or more.
Edited by sanni, Oct 27 2015, 06:34 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I saw this video last night, really interested in this but not sure I'm up to doing the mod myself but we will have to see.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
sanni
Oct 27 2015, 06:32 AM
bluedogrulez
pricing would be swell
What I think, nothing official though, is that pricing is around $130 wholesale per unit + labor costs of the installer + profit margin of the installer + sales tax. So I would guess around $200 all in all ... or more.
Sanni, are you lined up to be an installer? ***FINGERS CROSSED***
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Oct 27 2015, 08:55 AM
sanni
Oct 27 2015, 06:32 AM
bluedogrulez
pricing would be swell
Sanni, are you lined up to be an installer? ***FINGERS CROSSED***
It would be nice to have our very own installer here. :D

Also, @bluedog can you link the thread about the funtastic video quality differences?
Edited by Rocky, Oct 27 2015, 09:52 AM.
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I am fairly interested in this project. While I prefer to play on my CRT, looking years down the road at a time when working CRTs may be hard to find, this could be the only way to get the most "authentic" N64 experience.

So I'll just kinda be watching from the sidelines for now, but anxious to hear some first hand experiences when they're available.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Rocky: Do Funtastics Have Better Video Display?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
A little update. They have been out for less than month now and Marshall has shipped his first two batches out to installers. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I think they are doing it right by only selling to installers. Each kit has a serial number as well. One N64 showed up on ebay already. Serial: R1AJ030084 2015. Sold for $320 buyitnow. It wasn't installed by badassgames though and the soldering looked a little rough. Auction Number: 262186095167

I ordered my install from Badassgames. Just need to ship out my fire console tomorrow. As of right now he has 4 left. He had 18 on Friday. http://www.badassconsoles.com/ultrahdmi/

Going to do a full review once I get it back. Should be the beginning or middle of Jan.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Badass did mine as well - I felt really comfortable with him doing it as his soldering & modding skills look extremely good in his videos.
My CRT thread:

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Super anxious to hear some first hand impressions!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
andyk2003
Dec 15 2015, 01:01 PM
Badass did mine as well - I felt really comfortable with him doing it as his soldering & modding skills look extremely good in his videos.
I watched a few of his videos as well. It looked pretty good. Did you get yours back already?

Grey Variants - (9/14)

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
So here is a question from me ..
I own a import-converter that can appearently play import games on any N64 console

It works fine, but the problem is that the image itself of the japanese/NTSC games are black in white. PAL games are perfect in color. (but changes per system the japanese console can play NTSC/JAP games fine, but only PAL in black and white)

Would this UltraHDMI fix it?
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mine should be with me in a week or so. I wanted to do a review here but my wife & I have made a pact - we're giving up forums, Facebook etc. to try and crawl back some of our lives from the internet!

I think it's safe to say the UltraHDMI is going to be very good & a probably no brainer for dedicated N64 enthusiasts without a CRT - hugely better than a standard connection. It's CRTs all the way for me though - just feels more authentic to me, and I just love that CRT glow!

RetroRGB did a nice piece here. The retro mode's hybrid scalines look amazing.

Most of my time on here has been on my CRT research thread & I'm at the end of my journey with that.

Anyway so long guys, and thanks for having me :)
My CRT thread:

Cabanon
Elite
out of stock. too bad they dont sell 'em seperately. shipping charge is simply too insane and would cost as much as the mode itself back and forth.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Is there an installation guide anywhere on the net? Wanna see how tricky this would be.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Guys DON'T buy any kind of HDMI output system in order to play N64.
The quality is still to low.
We have to wait years before the quality wil be comparable to CRT visuals.

If there is a way to underestimate N64 graphics is play N64 games in HD TV.
No matter how much the output is good, the quality will be poor.

Much better spend your time and money in a RBG N64 with a good CRT like Sony Trinitron or Panasonic Quintrix.
If you play N64 games on a good CRT you will be still amazed by the best N64 graphics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
italia64
Dec 17 2015, 12:57 PM
Guys DON'T buy any kind of HDMI output system in order to play N64.
The quality is still to low.
We have to wait years before the quality wil be comparable to CRT visuals.
There is some give and take with this. After watching RGB205's review of the ultra hdmi "cut to 17:18 where they talk about ultra hdmi versus CRT" from what I saw the difference wasn't much. Although the comparison they are showing I'm only viewing it on my HD TV and not seeing it next to a good CRT. It could look better on a pro CRT. My thing is, I'm not going to get a CRT, professional or not. They are just too large and heavy. A pro CRT will be well over the cost of this mod just for the TV. The cheapest routes are the TV's you mentioned. After you factor in the RGB mod install and cable you're looking at the same cost but now you have to play on "that" tv. I'm lazy but neat so I rather just have one TV for everything. It's really just for convenience. If it only helps me read some text I couldn't before playing Mario Party on my 60"' then that's good enough for me.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
See the difference between HDMI and a CRT in a YouTube video is impossible.
In that YouTube video you can't see the authentic CRT quality, but the CRT quality recorded, which is very different as it loses colours, luminosity and there is the flickering.

Believe me guys, compare with your eyes using the N64 RGB modified and connect it to a Sony Trinitron 27"/29".
There is absolutely no match, CRT is by far superior for now.

I'm waiting the day when CRT quality will be reached in HD TVs, but the day unfortunately is not arrived yet.

It's impossible understand the N64 graphics superiority in HD TVs.
I always repeat this because many people judge N64 graphics with the wrong bases in this way.

As we know a photo of a CRT loses a lot of quality, but please try to image these two pics with more quality, as they has in reality.

This is a NTSC N64 set-up of an Italian friend of mine, Cristiano Trotta. RGB + 29" Sony Trinitron
Posted Image

This is another RGB set-up of another Italian friends of mine, Alessandro Simoncini. This time a PAL RGB modified console.
Posted Image

Don't belive these videos guys. Use your eyes in real CRTs.
Understand the N64 difference between other console is impossible in HD TVs, I repeat this mantra.
If you use HD TVs, even with the best modern outputs, it's just a merely compromise.

PS Gamerjerome, this isn't a post against your, as a N64 lover I just advice people to play it in the best possible way :-P
But I understand the convenience fact.
A small sample of CRT quality, recorded by me.
Watch the video on 1080p and remember, on live, without flickering and with better quality, is another thing.

https://youtu.be/EF0UA3jWPq8
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 06:54 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
unless usesr have it in hands, we should refrain from any kind of pro/con debate as it's pointless to do that from youtube videos has we all see it differently depending on what device we see it and our eyes are way different between each others.

you like it ? good for you ! you don't ? good for you too.

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
The fact is more objective than this as the HDMI quality is surely more checkable in a YouTube video than a CRT quality.

CRT quality is much better, objectively much better.

Yes, of course, everybody can do what they want. But it's a duty of N64 forum's experts to be persuaded by this inconfutabile truth.

I often specificate this fact in order to let people informed by the fact that N64 graphics can be better than that, as they're spending money in HDMI output.
If they want to buy them I have no problem.

But I love to see the real N64 graphics.

Yes, HDMI are a good compromise. Not the best choice fot sure.
Edited by italia64, Dec 18 2015, 07:54 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: