Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 Ultra HDMI Adapter: Released!!; N64 Console with HDMI Output
Topic Started: May 7 2015, 08:06 PM (4,835 Views)
andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Badass did mine as well - I felt really comfortable with him doing it as his soldering & modding skills look extremely good in his videos.
My CRT thread:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mine should be with me in a week or so. I wanted to do a review here but my wife & I have made a pact - we're giving up forums, Facebook etc. to try and crawl back some of our lives from the internet!

I think it's safe to say the UltraHDMI is going to be very good & a probably no brainer for dedicated N64 enthusiasts without a CRT - hugely better than a standard connection. It's CRTs all the way for me though - just feels more authentic to me, and I just love that CRT glow!

RetroRGB did a nice piece here. The retro mode's hybrid scalines look amazing.

Most of my time on here has been on my CRT research thread & I'm at the end of my journey with that.

Anyway so long guys, and thanks for having me :)
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hi everyone - I've just spent some time with the mod & just had to quickly chime in :)

It's surprising good actually - I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. The choice of modes is excellent and really varied. On the one end of the spectrum, you have the de-blur option - the image is line doubled and rendered in super sharp pixels. Some people seem to like this, but it's definitely not for me. The image is very pixellated - graphics in the distance degenerate into indecipherable clumps of pixels. In fact I avoid all the sharp pixel and direct modes as I've always disliked line doubling with the N64. It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but to me this isn't how Nintendo intended their games to be experienced. I think they wanted their hardware anti-aliasing to counter heavy pixellation and when it wasn't overdone and used well it could look amazing on the right display.

At the other end, you have the retro mode, with dynamic scan lines, bloom etc. This is better, but a touch soft to my liking - I adjust from the individual settings instead (no overscan, HV bloom etc). I keep Hybrid scanlines though - in brighter areas, the scanlines bloom and blend like a real CRT although the effect is a little overdone, as if the CRT had the contrast set too high. It'd be nice to have a setting to reduce the effect a little - but the overall effect is nonetheless really nice as long as I'm sitting far enough from the TV (about 10-12 feet from a 46" screen). Any closer and the flaws in the image start becoming more apparent.

Similar to the Framemeister scanlines, there's the option of 'simple scanlines' with varying intensity settings (but no blooming) - but I preferred hybrid. The hybrid mode combined with gamma boost gives a very CRT-like image. For me, It's not quite as nice as a good CRT with RGB though - but close - much closer than I thought it would be. To me, the CRT + RGB connection just handles the image a touch better . A little more forgiving, smoother, less pixellated, but still very clean and without any lost detail - combined with that lovely, unique punchy glow of real CRT phosphors. I think the effect is a slightly more pleasing and cohesive image, although I expect the difference won't be much (or any) of an issue to a lot of people. This will be improved upon in the future when we finally get true hardware dynamic phosphor emulation in 4K OLED. It's also worth mentioning that I'm using a plasma which tends to be a little more forgiving than LCD for SD material. I don't think it would be a factor but I don't have an LCD to test it on.

All in all, the mod definitely looks quite a lot better on my HDTV than a direct RGB connection. The cost is high but I think it's really worth it for dedicated N64 players who don't want a CRT. The 16ms lag didn't bother me, but then again, my TV has low lag. Hope this is useful!
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
No worries :)

I forgot to mention that there is one mode that has virtually no lag whatsoever - direct mode. It's just a simple line doubler and doesn't do any extra image processing - but still looks very good (much better than an RGB connection on my plasma). The lag is extremely low - less than 100 nanoseconds, close to a CRT. This mode outputs in 480p/576p.

The upshot is that even on a fast HDTV, in this mode the mod should be quite a bit faster (relatively) than just using a standard AV connection as the TV now has one less job to do - the process of linedoubling a 240p image to 480p before it gets upscaled. The mod does this practically instantly, something most HDTVs can't do.
Edited by andyk2003, Dec 22 2015, 04:05 PM.
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
As a final thought, I have to say that after a few days I'm increasingly preferring my CRTs more. While I still think this mod is awesome, the vibrant, natural colours, deep blacks and just the way the graphics are represented on the CRT just floor me every time...

I'm really glad I have the mod for a potential future backup situation though - but it's CRTs all the way for me personally I think....

I have to permanently leave the forum now so thanks for having me and so long guys :)
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
My wife & I are giving up forums, Facebook etc to try & grab back some of our lives from the net. I feel a bit sad (I love this forum!) but I spend so much time on forums I miss out on other stuff.. Cheers guys :)
My CRT thread:

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
It's still available. The original 'official' modder ground to a halt and has long wait times - but now there are decent modders offering it with a slight wait - a month or so. Here's one.

Edited by andyk2003, Aug 6 2017, 01:48 PM.
My CRT thread:

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply