Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 Ultra HDMI Adapter: Released!!; N64 Console with HDMI Output
Topic Started: May 7 2015, 08:06 PM (5,262 Views)
gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
A little update. They have been out for less than month now and Marshall has shipped his first two batches out to installers. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I think they are doing it right by only selling to installers. Each kit has a serial number as well. One N64 showed up on ebay already. Serial: R1AJ030084 2015. Sold for $320 buyitnow. It wasn't installed by badassgames though and the soldering looked a little rough. Auction Number: 262186095167

I ordered my install from Badassgames. Just need to ship out my fire console tomorrow. As of right now he has 4 left. He had 18 on Friday. http://www.badassconsoles.com/ultrahdmi/

Going to do a full review once I get it back. Should be the beginning or middle of Jan.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
andyk2003
Dec 15 2015, 01:01 PM
Badass did mine as well - I felt really comfortable with him doing it as his soldering & modding skills look extremely good in his videos.
I watched a few of his videos as well. It looked pretty good. Did you get yours back already?

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
italia64
Dec 17 2015, 12:57 PM
Guys DON'T buy any kind of HDMI output system in order to play N64.
The quality is still to low.
We have to wait years before the quality wil be comparable to CRT visuals.
There is some give and take with this. After watching RGB205's review of the ultra hdmi "cut to 17:18 where they talk about ultra hdmi versus CRT" from what I saw the difference wasn't much. Although the comparison they are showing I'm only viewing it on my HD TV and not seeing it next to a good CRT. It could look better on a pro CRT. My thing is, I'm not going to get a CRT, professional or not. They are just too large and heavy. A pro CRT will be well over the cost of this mod just for the TV. The cheapest routes are the TV's you mentioned. After you factor in the RGB mod install and cable you're looking at the same cost but now you have to play on "that" tv. I'm lazy but neat so I rather just have one TV for everything. It's really just for convenience. If it only helps me read some text I couldn't before playing Mario Party on my 60"' then that's good enough for me.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Good review Andy. I'll be running it on my Samsung LED TV. Badassconsoles got my console on the 18th. Not sure when I'll get it back. He has quite a few to do. Looking forward to direct mode for smash. Here's an interview with Marshall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDM3TzMG_s He talked a little bit about the direct mode and you can even see the differance as he has two TV's hooked up.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Well, a Japanese Pikachu Nintendo 64 complete in box with Ultra HDMI just sold for $610. eBay

Not sure if someone really wanted it because it's sold out across installers or they didn't know any better. It remains to be seen if they actually paid that price for it. The Last Ultra HDMI N64 sold for $320 as I mentioned earlier in the topic. I looked at that one again and noticed it wasn't installed right in the case. Poor buyer who finally realizes it.

Still waiting on mine :coffee:

Update: Got it about week ago. Finally got around to photographing it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Installed by Badass Consoles. Looks completely stock and clean. You can still have RGB mod installed alongside it if you wish. Analog out still works at the same time. The HDMI actually has less lag than the Analog. Graphics wise, going emulator on your hd TV would be better but this is still great. I can actually read text on Mario Party on my 60". Firmware can also be upgraded in rom form from a flash cart if you have one. Badass put the latest version on mine before it went out.

All in all worth it. Installs seem very limited. They have serials which is nice. Also dated for the manufacture year. Very well done.
I have been keeping track of the sold ones on ebay just for reference of the value as a collector item.

Black Console - Sold Dec 11th $320 - Serial: R1AJ030084 - Board: 2015
Pikachu Japanese Console - Complete in Box - Sold Jan 3rd $610 - Serial: Unknown - Board: 2015
Black Console + RGB - Sold Feb 11 - $399.99 - Serial: Unknown - Board: 2015
Edited by gamerjerome, Feb 13 2016, 01:41 PM.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Turok81
Feb 25 2016, 10:58 PM
I'm still on the fence about getting one. I've spent way too much analyzing videos on YT, and I'm honestly not that impressed by the look of de-blur and the extra sharpening, which seems to be the main selling point. It's a matter of personal taste but the heavy pixelation is just detrimental to the look of the games, in my opinion. I don't really like the look of the artificial scanlines either. What I'm wondering is if it's still worth getting even if I don't use any of the filters.
It really comes down if you want to play N64 on your HDTV and not have an extra CRT. I'm not a fan of the scanlines either but that's because they are not subtle enough. There's still going to be updates to the software so I hope Marshall adds some more transparency to the scanlines. I don't play any games with de-blur on either. Then again I'm also sitting only 7 feet away from a 60". People complain that the N64 graphics were muddy but then once removed it's too pixelated. It just doesn't have high enough resolution textures and that doesn't translate well. I tried out Rogue Squadron which runs at a full 480p and it looks great on an HDTV. It's too bad that most of the other games don't. I also played Mario Party with some friends the other day and it's much easier to read the text in the game. The normal A/V out works at the same time so was switching back and forth. My friends preferred HDMI.

As a collector though, the $164 I spent at badassconsoles was worth it. So far the average price on ebay for these is $406 not included the $610 Japanese Pikachu edition that sold. I think with future updates it won't be such a novelty and it will be more useful. I just like the fact that is was possible in the first place. It's not going to be a replacement to a good CRT setup but it's certainly more convenient.
Edited by gamerjerome, Feb 27 2016, 02:03 AM.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
@Cell Thanks! Photography is my side hobby.

@Turok81 Also thanks. And to answer your question about it running hotter. I did notice the area around the Ultra HDMI was hotter, it wasn't as hot as the power supply though. Last time I played was for about an hour. I didn't have my controller extension in so my N64 was off my entertainment center and on the carpet. I don't see it being a problem but only time will tell. There is also a vent directly to the right of the Ultra HDMI adapter.

I'm also looking forward to a gamecube version. Actually any Retro HDMI version. I may pull the trigger on the Hi-Def NES once all the bugs are fixed.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply